Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi since this is my first post I figure I would take the time to say hi to everyone I enjoy what i've read so far on the forum and look forward to learning more about classic mustangs.

Now onto my question. For a couple of years now I have been looking for a project car and low and behold i've had one behind my inlaws for some time now. This car I believe is a 1967 according to the owner with an original engine. I have already taken a look at the car and it does not appear that it has any rusting or problems with the body other than small dings and dents from over the years. The paint is done thats for sure. The interior will also need work, but for the most part its all there just very dusty. The motor is a 289 and i'm pretty sure its the 225 hp model and I think is original, but I will need to check. The tranny was rebuilt before it was parked. It has been here about 4-5 years now. The owner says they will let it go between 1500-2000 and i'm wondering if this is a good deal or not? If it is a good deal what's the average that a car like this would go for? What would it go for restored?

I also have a few mechanical questions to ask. I have heard that the 289 has problems with cooling due to water jackets inside the block? A friend had told me something about the bore is within a .10 of them or the outside of the block i'm not 100% sure. Is there any truth to this?

I also would like to know what the potential of the car is? Can any forced induction be done on the car or should that be left to a 302? If not then could I pickup somewhere around the 300 range off of exhaust, upgraded carb cam and heads? If I upgrade any of this will it hurt the value of the vehicle too if it's matching numbers?

I appologize for all the questions I just want to make a jump on this if I can and its a good deal.

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
Most important, do you know what to look for in a Mustang? Can you inspect the car, recognize where the possible problem areas are, and be reasonably sure there's no major rust problems? If there's NO rust (almost unheard of, though in your area it's possible) and the engine runs, grab it!
If you need more info, I'll try to help.
Jay67fast

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most important, do you know what to look for in a Mustang? Can you inspect the car, recognize where the possible problem areas are, and be reasonably sure there's no major rust problems? If there's NO rust (almost unheard of, though in your area it's possible) and the engine runs, grab it!
If you need more info, I'll try to help.
Jay67fast
Like I said I know the gas tank needs to be drained and that it needs a battery. I planned on blowing out the fuel lines. Doing a compression and leak down test on the motor. Changing out all the hoses and changing out the distributor later for something like msd or whatever I can find applicable for the year. I am a little new to a domestic muscle car, but what else should I be looking for when inspecting the car?

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
you are headed in the right direction. go to barnes and noble and pick up a book/repair manual for the 67. it looks pretty good from the two pics. and like jay said if it really is an arizona car all the better. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
If there's no rust through on the floor pans, trunk, etc. it's a great buy I would think. Just the fact that all the parts are there (even if they need to be replaced due to age/wear) trying to figure out what's missing can be frustrating. If it runs I'd say it's a very good purchase. They made a butt load of Coupes so I wouldn't dive in expecting to get much of a return, in demand fastbacks are where people make money back at the moment.

If you replace a few things and drive it for a while, paint it in a couple years and then sell you may recoup what you've spent but have driven a classic that whole time. There aren't many cars you can use for 5yrs. then resell for what you have in them.

I've never heard anything about thin walls, etc. and the older blocks are generally thicker/stonger than the newer blocks. I'd wait until you get the car and figure out the condition of the bottom end before worrying about swapping engines.
I haven't started mine yet (289) but have stroked it to 333 c.i. and expect it to scream and hold up >100K mi., they're strong little engines that like to rev., Shelby got 450HP out of them without stroking in the TransAm series cars.
Jon

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good luck with your project! I'm a newb here too, so I have nothing to add.

If I upgrade any of this will it hurt the value of the vehicle too if it's matching numbers?
I'm keen to read an answer or two to this question myself. My plan is to keep my car all original - no mods at all, but if I can get some HP without sacrificing value I'd consider some engine mods.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.