Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Mustang V6. I love the car but my only issue is throttle hang, especially between 1 > 2 shifts. I hate that revs stay up between shifts at WOT. I have never driven a car that exhibits this type of behavior (I come from a 2003 Mazda 6S). Does this annoy anyone else? Is there a way to correct this? I assume a tune might help.

Thanks

·
Registered
878 Posts
I have a 2011 PP car and it does this sometimes as well.Even when it doesn't really hang up bad it still is a little slow to drop rpm's. I have a tune and it still does it.Maybe a little worse without a tune though.

·
Registered
7,755 Posts
It's an annoying Ford trait, programmed into the PCM.

On older cars you could change the rpm decay rate and I'm sure there is a way to do it on the newer ones too.

If you have a tune and it still does it then call the tuner and ask them to update the tune to take it out.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Get a SCT tuner from AM/BAMA should not only get rid of the throttle lag time, but will also make your automatic shift better! I have a stick shift and it made a huge difference all around! I know mine is the 4.0 and you have the 3.7 but BAMA did lots of testing before releasing the tunes for the new engine, and they will be behind you 100% to keep you happy!

·
Registered
699 Posts
The easiest thing to do is play on through.

I going to assume it’s a stick shift, so this is my advice: Just lift up on the clutch, keep your go foot in it, and keep going.

I agree that the throttle behavior is very different compared to something with a mechanical throttle linkage.

And it gets even worse, if you have something with a mechanical linkage that you don't drive every day, then that car gets hard to drive after sitting in your stang for a while.

There is just no winning.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don't understand you guys that have this problem as well as a tune and you don't call the tuner shop and ask them for a tune update to fix this.
I've seen you be condescending multiple times about this-- and you don't even own the car. Yes, a tune will improve the shift points and throttle response.. but it doesn't completely eliminate it. On the auto, throttle lag is still there (though not nearly as bad) and I'm sure the issue others describe with the manual is improved, but not completely gone. Drop the attitude, and stop acting as if you are the definitive source on the 3.7l.

Please note though, generally I think you are an awesome poster. You clearly are a true enthusiast, and contribute a lot here, and on the mustang source. But sometimes you can just be a bit condescending... and you really should pay attention to that.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I thought the tune made it as smooth as possible. Didn't know that BAMA can further reduce rev hang. I will call them up and find out.. also to ask why my SCT tuner keeps saying "Device Communication Failed" when I try to upload my new 87 street/performance mix tune.

·
Registered
7,755 Posts
I've seen you be condescending multiple times about this-- and you don't even own the car. Yes, a tune will improve the shift points and throttle response.. but it doesn't completely eliminate it. On the auto, throttle lag is still there (though not nearly as bad) and I'm sure the issue others describe with the manual is improved, but not completely gone. Drop the attitude, and stop acting as if you are the definitive source on the 3.7l.

Please note though, generally I think you are an awesome poster. You clearly are a true enthusiast, and contribute a lot here, and on the mustang source. But sometimes you can just be a bit condescending... and you really should pay attention to that.
The tune just needs to be tweaked, and that is only a phone call and e-mail away.

Condescending may be yours and others opinions about some of the things I write, what it is, is that I pull no punches. I lay it out there and that's where it's at.

People complain about things that are wrong with their car but instead of doing something about it they just continue to complain.

All who don't want to see what I write have but to add me to their ignore list.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I noticed this most definitely when racing in Autocross this last weekend. I am debating if I want to stay in the stock class or add my tuner/CAI just yet and join the modified crew.

They put me in class G, thanks to the 2010 rules & regulations book they follow like the bible. Lol, I think that's the reason why I placed 9th overall, having never raced before. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
610 Posts
The tune just needs to be tweaked, and that is only a phone call and e-mail away.

Condescending may be yours and others opinions about some of the things I write, what it is, is that I pull no punches. I lay it out there and that's where it's at.

People complain about things that are wrong with their car but instead of doing something about it they just continue to complain.

All who don't want to see what I write have but to add me to their ignore list.
His condescending nature is the least of his issues. He gets his facts wrong over and over again. It's one thing to contribute, but it's another thing to swear on false facts as the gospel truth. The fact that he doesn't even own a 2011 Mustang is what completely explains his 2011+ Mustang knowledge shortcomings.

It's like the boy who cried wolf story we all know about. He can only give out so much bad information before we take all of his information as B.S. This is sad, because it could easily mislead new members. This is why I refuse to "ignore" him so I can call him out on his crap.

As for the OP's problem, I too hate it that my manual hangs onto revs in between shifts. I read that Ford tunes this on purpose for emission's reasons: basically to burn off the excess fuel from closing the throttle plate too quickly in between shifts since the MAF is kinda far away from the throttle plate and already metered the air in the intake tube. I wasn't aware this was a problem for the automatics though too. I really notice the hanging when I'm drifting from a launch (in 1st especially) and let off quickly... the RPM's stay pretty damn high and hang.

I don't have a tune, I was holding out until I go the forced induction route. If you ask me, I feel a lot of the vendors haven't quite worked out all of the bugs with this 3.7L yet, so I'm going to let the guinnea pigs go first. So this is not a "simple fix" for a guy who's not ready to go the tuner route as " Ltngdrvr" would have us all believe .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the responses to my question. I just wanted to be sure that my "Throttle Hang" was indeed a generic issue with this car. I guess I'll have to adapt. It's still a blast to run this car to 7K through the first few gears. Great forum!

·
Registered
673 Posts
The RPM laziness after shifts/neutral RPM drop is part of the PCM lean burn fuel strategy and to keep the engine from possibly stalling. Keep in mind that ETB does not have an IAC.

Ever wonder why your idle is not 100% consistent? Idle lean-burn.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
It's an annoying Ford trait, programmed into the PCM.

On older cars you could change the rpm decay rate and I'm sure there is a way to do it on the newer ones too.

If you have a tune and it still does it then call the tuner and ask them to update the tune to take it out.
This is 100% correct. There is a way on the newer ones, as well. Our Bama tunes should fix it. I drove a manual 2011 V6 with a Bama 93 Street tune yesterday and it came down from a rev very nicely, but still had enough engine braking when downshifting.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Called and got my updated tunes.No more throttle hang! Drops nicely. It definately makes the shifting less jerky. If only a tune could remove the crunchiness!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I too HATE THE THROTTLE HANG!!!!!

It is so bad that MY WIFE chirps second gear! She was so excited, we have a bad intersection that some times you have to really get after it to merge, she revved to about 6 grand and grabbed second. The throttle hang is so long you might as well power shift and not even lift..... (MT6sp, 3.31's) It sucks, period.
If you want to nail it one gear and gently grab the next, be prepared to leave the clutch in for over a second as the rev's fall or look like an idot that doesn't know how to drive.

I have a Lund tune, and he made it a little better....but not a lot. And I'm also dealing with a nasty idle hunt problem.
Might have to try a Bama tune next?

I'm learning how to drive this car, and that pisses me off. I've been driving stick cars for 20 years and this one can make me look stupid.

·
Registered
2011 Mustang 3.7L MT-82
6,790 Posts
I too HATE THE THROTTLE HANG!!!!!

It is so bad that MY WIFE chirps second gear! She was so excited, we have a bad intersection that some times you have to really get after it to merge, she revved to about 6 grand and grabbed second. The throttle hang is so long you might as well power shift and not even lift..... (MT6sp, 3.31's) It sucks, period.
If you want to nail it one gear and gently grab the next, be prepared to leave the clutch in for over a second as the rev's fall or look like an idot that doesn't know how to drive.

I have a Lund tune, and he made it a little better....but not a lot. And I'm also dealing with a nasty idle hunt problem.
Might have to try a Bama tune next?

I'm learning how to drive this car, and that pisses me off. I've been driving stick cars for 20 years and this one can make me look stupid.
I need to look into this. I have a SCT/Bama tune (91 Street), and I experience exactly the same thing between 1st and 2nd @ 6000 RPM. No, this is not my regular driving habit, but when I get down on it, buddy, I like to take it for all it's worth. I've noticed that when the RPM's hang, the gas pedal sinks away from my foot a bit but the car does not accelerate until after the RPM's drop. I don't panic. I just let it do its thing and compensate for it. My brakes, neutral shift and steering wheel work fine, if needed. I was wondering if a lightweight flywheel would help resolve this issue along with an adjustment to my tune?

·
Registered
528 Posts
I DO own a 2011 V6 Mustang AT and I can tell you without a doubt (albeit more diplomatically) that a correct tune will take away any lag when shifting. :yup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.