Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here, been reading/learning a lot.

I need a little help. I'm looking at some 17x7 and 17x8" wheels for my 66, stock suspension for now. I see 2 different sets that look like what I want, one set from Mustangs Unlimited, the other set from an Ebay dealer. the only diff I can see is 1/4" more backspacing on the MU wheels (4.25 BS vs ebay wheel at 4.00 BS).

the EBAY dealer says his will fit stock suspensions, whereas MU says I need to to the UCA drop before theirs will fit.

I am skeptical of any EBAY claims, although the dealer there (Customwheelsmarket) has 100% positive feedback. Could the 1/4" be the difference in the claims?

I WILL be updating the suspension at some point in the resto, but I need to prioritize where the $ is getting spent along the way, and I'm planning the suspension after the wheels and paint.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have essentially a stock suspension on my 66 with a one inch spring drop in front and rear. I run 17x7 in front with 4 in BS and 17x8 in rear with 5 in BS and they work perfectly. It will depend a little on the tires you want to run on those wheels. I have 225/45 in front and 235/45 in rear and no rubbing issues at all. If you don't drop the height that would give you even more wiggle room. I would probably go with a little bigger back spacing on the rear so you could go with wider tires and not have rubbing issues. Once I even put the 17x8 w/ 5 BS on the front and they worked fine too. In short, I think the 4.25 BS would work front and back. It will depend of course on the overall tire height. 45 profiles in a 17 inch tire is about right. Any shorter and you've got little rubber between rims and the road and any higher and you might have wheel well issues.

Check the Forum under Tires and Wheels. There is a section there for the different years and what people have found that works.

·
Registered
964 Posts
For a 17x7 4.00-4.25" will fit fine and for 17x8 you want 4.5-5.00", 4.25 for 17x7 and 4.75 for 17x8 are the best but the other backspaces will work. I would say use 215/45/17 front and 235/45/17 rear for a conservative fit with no rub, or 225 front and 245 rear but those sizes there is a possibity of a little rubbing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts