Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the site and love it. I got my daughter a 94 Mustang V6 and the A/C doesn't work. It doesn't seem like the compressor is kicking on so tried the jumper wire on the low pressure switch. With that jumped and turning on the A/C, the hose from the back on the compressor sprayed out Freon. I haven't checked Freon levels yet (no Gauges) but i'm hoping that someone recognizes what the problem could be.

Thank you much in advance,
Robert

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
It is most likely low on Freon...the pressure switch that turns the compressor on/off will detect and not allow the compressor to turn on if the pressure is low to cause damage...the switch (pressure) could be bad as well.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
If you are visibly leaking Freon, replace the hose and immediately have the system vacuumed and serviced to prevent moisture in the system. Good luck!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Compressors have high pressure valve, which opens about 400 PSI.
It happens if system has too much freon or clogged.
Do you know exactly where freon leaks? It can be hose/compressor connection, there is a rubber washer or hose bolt is not tight.

·
Registered
153 Posts
It could be a faulty pressure switch but first thing to do is get some gauges on it and see what the pressure reading are.....The high side could have a restriction in it causing very high pressure from the compressor...Clogged condenser can also cause high pressures...Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all the help. I discovered that the metal pipe that connects to the back of the compressor was extremely loose. I replaced the low pressure switch and am in the process of replacing all the O-rings (firewall hoses are a pain) while I'm at it. I will vacuum and charge when that's done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts