Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying my darndest to get used to the automatic transmission in my 2012 v6. Today,my girlfriend drove the car for the first time. And even she commented right away about how sluggish the shifting was. It drives me nuts, I have to take it into the dealer for something else in about a week, and will ask them to look at it. But I have a feeling this is the way it is built. It is the worst shifting automatic I have ever driven. First to seconfd is slow, sluggish and seems like the transmission is slipping. Damn, shouldnt have to get an aftermarket tune to solve the problem. The car looks gorgeous, handles beautifully.I am not looking for something to complain about. But the transmission in this car sucks big time.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Time to get that tune from Brenspeed that will knock you back your seat and shift like a mother :yup::yup:

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Maybe give the car some time to break in and perhaps that will help? My car performs better now that it has some mileage on it. The shift parameters are definitely irksome at certain times, but its not something that stops me from enjoying the car. Again, I find that gradually pressing the throttle instead of slamming it helps on initial launch.

And sure, the auto feels sluggish, but there was someone on here with a stock 2011 V6 auto with 2.73 gears that managed a 14 second flat 1/4 mile run and was consistently running 14.1-14.2. With the 3.31 rear and the pirellis your auto should be able to get into the 13.90 range which isn't that far off some of the better MT times.

·
Registered
125 Posts
How many miles does it have ?
Mine was like that from when i got it with 7 miles and had transparent tape and and plastic cover on everything (that i left on for almost a month lol) to 500 miles. The lag started off a bit drastic but slowly went away till 500 miles when its was totally gone. I always thought it was just the active learning shift stratagy and breaking in period that did it.

I use the car as a D.D.er and found out that if you drive to work like an old lady all week by the weekend it will think you are and try to drive as smoothly as possable. So when you go back to driving like a hooligan it will be a bit laggy for like a day of driving.
I think this is why Ferrari have that blessed manettino switch on all their full auto/semi auto cars that lets you tell the computer that you are an old lady or a hooligan or a super hooligan!

I wish Ford would do something like that for these cars, thats the only thing that i feel im missing.
I dont expect them to have 4 setting like in Ferraries because even two (normal and sport) would be freak'n awsome in a stang.

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car has about 400 miles on it. I do not want to drive it around like a madman all the time. I am talking abiut "normal stop and go driving here. Normal accelleration keeping up with traffic etc. The whine and slipping etc from first to second is just plain horrible. When I take it in, if this is "normal" I will have to get a tune. I cant stand it much longer. again, anyother car I have ever been in has never shifted this poorly.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
get a tune. Just got mine yesterday and all I can say is :kooky:

And if you have myColor, your girlfriend will like the way the gauges light up all red and pretty

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
get a tune. Just got mine yesterday and all I can say is :kooky:

And if you have myColor, your girlfriend will like the way the gauges light up all red and pretty
Actually, a tune really does help the automatic transmission performance on the V6 Mustang. Ford does a lot of things with the electronic control unit (ECU) to manage the overall performance of the V6 Mustang. The ECU directly controls the transmission shift schedule and also applies a lot of "torque management" to the engine as the ECU is calling for a shift - up or down. The bottom line is there is a lot of "hesitation" in the engine as the shift occurs. And, the ECU tries to get to 6th gear as fast as possible and stay there as much as possible - all part of the MPG strategy. Most aftermarket tunes replace the stock shift schedule with one that keeps the transmission closer to a gear with some power at any speed. The tunes also eliminate the torque management associated with the shifting schedule. The result is a very clean and crisp transmission operation - at the cost of a little gas mileage. I have been running the Diablosport 87 Octane Performance tune and it has an outstanding auto shift schedule - but you do a lot of shifting when the car is going less then 40mph - up and down. However, when you hit the accelerator - even moderately - the engine is always in a gear where it will pull strong:)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Radioguy, you have tunes from a couple different companies? How would you compare them? There are quite a few options out there.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
This question begs to be asked, did you test drive an automatic v6 before buying it? It sure looks like you didn't, or didn't drive it enough. The moaning & groaning threads on this site have become tedious, especially the ones concerning hypochondriacs or people who haven't researched the car before or after buying. Making it more difficult for those with real problems.

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your personal attacks and insults are uncalled for and unwelcomed. For your information I live in Canada, not California. I couldnt test drive an automatic v6 car as there were non available on dealer lots up here to test drive.
Getting back to your rude comments, if we cannot voice our opinions on here about our cars without coming under attack, then we might as well not have a forum right? If we all start thinking like you, and decide we want to silence peoples opinions, we will be living in Cuba before we realize it. Im personally gratefull we are allowed freedom of speech in North America. So you also have the right to say what you want. And you said it.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
My post had nothing to do with silencing opinion, or personal attacks. Merely understanding what you're buying, before you buy it, instead of posting inane threads that the transmission "sucks" because it doesn't shift/drive like you "thought" it should/would. Do you really believe you would have bought the car if you test drove it properly? I don't. As for not being able to test drive the car before buying, I would never buy any car under those circumstances. Good luck, hopefully an aftermarket tune will provide the drive-ability you're looking for.

·
Registered
837 Posts
When I test drove an auto V6, I didn't really notice anything sluggish with the transmission. Granted, I took it real easy since I had already planned on ordering a V6 PP and I only wanted to get a feel of the interior. In normal stoplight traffic, it felt normal to me.

But like the others have said, either drive hard for a couple of days or just get a tune. If it's bad as you say, I agree that you shouldn't get have to get an aftermarket tune to "fix" it. Maybe you're just used to the power of the 5.0 and the shifting of a manual, so the auto V6 feels sluggish?

·
Registered
125 Posts
The car has about 400 miles on it. I do not want to drive it around like a madman all the time. I am talking abiut "normal stop and go driving here. Normal accelleration keeping up with traffic etc.
Yeah, i know what you mean. To be honest, when i first got the car i was a bit worried about it myself due to the lag and yes sometimes there was even a slight delay and then a large thud when i slowly accel at a stop.

After reading up on the learning computer, i went out and found a few on ramps that merge onto a hwy from a compleat stop. From the stop i would just accelerate at a vary high rate (note that i didnt just floor it) all the way to the stock limiter speed-if there was only a little bit of trafic. I let the car rev as far as 6k rpm. I did this once a day on my way to work till the cars lag was gone compleatly. A bit of a warning though dont floor or shock the car by slamming the peadal, you will start smelling something like a burning clutch, i dont know if it acctually was. Let it row all the way up to its top speed.

After all this, the car now runs as smooth as the best of them--and i mean smooth--all stock (thats comming from someone who just got out of a 2009 SL550 and has a 2010 GLK people carrier). I went back to driving like an old person and not a problem sence. I spend most of my time below 2000 rpm in city and only go to 3000 once in a while when i join the hwy.
/ramble off . . . sorry just trying to help.

Edit: I also just rented one and drove it around for a week before made my purchase. That one was also extreamly smooth with 10k miles on it.

·
Registered
650 Posts
hmmm...... must be your car. Could be a lemon, the comp hasnt learned your driving habits, or you are a bit too nitpicky about the tranny.

My auto shifts like a damn indy race car lol, no tune. There are a few times where ill push the throttle a lil' late or at a certain rpm, and the delay kicks in, but thats with 99.9% of all autos. I can imagine how good it will be after a tune, considering everyone with an auto and tune says its ALOT better.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Randy, There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 6R80 application in the 3.7.....Radioguy has provided you some of the best concise information out there on the 6R80 trans. Now, please stop the whine. Either drive it, sell it, or fix it, but quit crying about it................best regards Plum

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK I appreciate all the input.
I do not like the way the transmission shifts.
I will take it to the dealer to get it checked out.
If checks out as normal I will get a tune.
and I will stop complaining.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Okay first off, funny thread, I appreciate the drama from time to time. Sometimes this forum goes days with no excitement. LOL

Now serious question I gotta ask. Bear in mind I've driven maybe 1 fast automatic in my life and it really wasn't that fast. The extent of my experience with automatics comes from the rare instance where my wife is tired and we're headed somewhere and I'll drive the mini van for her. :gringreen So my question is, when you say it's shifts sluggishly what does this mean? Does it shift at the wrong rpm's or does it actually go to shift from 1st to 2nd and have like a second or two of a delay to make the shift?

I can't offer a suggestion based on experience other than from what I've seen in other threads. The Bama tunes and others like it adjust the shift point and also what they call shift firmness or something like that. Where it gives you a little bit of a snappier shift.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I test ride my auto before buying it, and the test drive do not let me pin point the transmission behavior ! The test car was probably not driven like a old lady car and the tranny has probably learn a more agressive pattern.

That said, as a DD mine still desapointing me time to time before I realize when i push the little switch on the shifter (the one who light up the "car going downhill" in the dash) the tranny shifting pattern is different "read sportier", it's keep rpm Higher longer and downshift sooner". When i accelerate "whit a mustang spirit driver" the car keep the RPM on the hi range longer and even keep it in gear 10, 15 sec after a let go the gaz pedal before it shift. it dosn't shift right away after you let go the gaz. It's try to keep the car in a better power band and it's more reactive.
I guess this is a compromise, and will not perform like a tune, yes the shiffpoint are probably different in that mode, but not change the firmness of the shift. And if i remenber correctly in that mode you limit the tranny to use only 5 speed, the six speed is desengade

Try it let us know.

*sorry for my english, :yelwacko:

735 Posts
Randy, There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 6R80 application in the 3.7.....Radioguy has provided you some of the best concise information out there on the 6R80 trans. Now, please stop the whine. Either drive it, sell it, or fix it, but quit crying about it................best regards Plum
If you don't like someone's honest comment/criticism on this forum, either find another one, start your own, or just say nothing, but quit crying about it ............. best regards '11BlackV6

OK I appreciate all the input.
I do not like the way the transmission shifts.
I will take it to the dealer to get it checked out.
If checks out as normal I will get a tune.
and I will stop complaining.:bigthumbsup
Randee, don't let people tell you what questions you can/can not ask. If you've got a honest criticism, then say it. E-thugs are on every forum, just ignore them. Eventually, they grow up.

Now, on to your comments ...

People are complaining of the transmission's "sluggishness", but I see 2 things going on here:

• The first issue is the "delay" when going wide open throttle. Seeing how our trans has 6 speeds, it often has a number of gears to skip over to get into the right gear and a delay often occurs. Sometimes it is more pronounced, other times less so.
  • The second issue happens when downshifting into 1st gear from cruising speeds at 25mph or above. What happens is the trans only downshifts into 2nd instead of 1st, causing noticeably sluggish acceleration. So if you're cruising at 26mph and floor it, the trans only drops into 2nd gear where you'll be at 2,000rpm making less than 75hp (most dyno charts don't even go that low). My Hypertech tune changes the lower threshold to 34mph where I'm now at 3,600rpm making ~175hp (stock at 3600rpm is ~155hp). BIG difference.
A tune is the only thing that will alleviate these issues, which is the major reason why I got one.

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I will answer the questions asked as simply as possible. Firstly however, let me state for the record, I have rebuilt a few automatic transmissions Im not a kid. I have working knowlege as to how a transmission functions. 'ethugs" are of no concern for me. I do want to enjoy the forum though, and I do have enough confidence in myself with 40 years of Machining and Restoration/ Race car experience behind me to fluff these comments off. Im not on here to argue.
When I said 'sluggish" the concern is the 1st to 2nd shift. Under normal accelleration the transmission is "slipping" and hanging up before going into the next gear.
I will say no more about it until the dealer test drives it. Then Ill go from there. Im waiting for other parts to arrive at the dealer so it may be a week or so.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts