Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been happy with my current setup for a while. I'm starting to get tired of the trumpeting I get around 2500 rpms. Im thinking of having my exhaust guy take my stock catted pipe and cutting and welding it to my X and making it a catted pipe. Do you guys think this will solve my problem? I just really dont want to shell out the money for an aftermarket catted x when my stock pipe is taking up space in the garage.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
It might help some. I found that adding a set of resonators to the overaxle pipe works the best.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah I've heard that, but my mufflers are where you usually put them. I guess I could put them behind the axel

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've been happy with my current setup for a while. I'm starting to get tired of the trumpeting I get around 2500 rpms. Im thinking of having my exhaust guy take my stock catted pipe and cutting and welding it to my X and making it a catted pipe. Do you guys think this will solve my problem?
yes it will work, the trumpeting will be gone and it will sound smoother as well, I bought a pypes O/R pipe and cut my stock pipe right after the 1st cat and cut and welded the pypes X to the stock cat. I eliminated the 2 aft cats and no cel and just as loud as the pypes catted pipes.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im going to give it a shot tomorrow. I bought some Stainless band clamps from NAPA and Im going to cut the pipes and put the catted downpipes in and clamp them incase I decide to change mufflers again and want to go with and O/R pipe. Any advice on what to cut the pipe with? Im probably just going to use a sawzall

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Im going to give it a shot tomorrow. I bought some Stainless band clamps from NAPA and Im going to cut the pipes and put the catted downpipes in and clamp them incase I decide to change mufflers again and want to go with and O/R pipe. Any advice on what to cut the pipe with? Im probably just going to use a sawzall
That should work. Just get yourself a metal cutting blade.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got a couple...just in case.:bigthumbsup Hopefully everything goes smoothly. It shouldn't be too bad of a job just a couple cuts. But, you know how that goes

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well its done...and what a difference. Its considerably quieter but it is super smooth. No more exhaust leak or rattles(interior or exterior). Its got a great tone at WOT but its really mellow and smooth just cruising. No more trumpeting!!! I was also pleasantly surprised at how smooth the whole job was.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Well its done...and what a difference. Its considerably quieter but it is super smooth. No more exhaust leak or rattles(interior or exterior). Its got a great tone at WOT but its really mellow and smooth just cruising. No more trumpeting!!! I was also pleasantly surprised at how smooth the whole job was.
glad you got it all fixed up.... i personally would never run the s197's without cats unless it was purely a race/track only car.

·
Registered
109 Posts
congrads! I knew you would like it better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.