Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so im finally getting to the motor work on my 86lx. the thing is the motor is older than the car. not sure on casting numbers but i do knows its a pedestal mount hydraulic flat tappet motor. So im ready to pick up some gt40p heads with new 1.90/1.60 valves and 5 angles port job for $300. i know ill need a different size push rod. But just wondering what else ill need. i am planning on changing the cam while im at it but not sure to convert to a roller. which im not even sure what is required for the conversion. last is what style rockers i should go with. and if i go to a bigger cam should i stay with a ratio of 1.6 or can i get 1.7 rockers. thanx for any input.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
If those heads are in good shape, with that work done it actually sounds like a good buy.
First, you need to find out what pistons your block has. If they aren't '86 style true flat tops (actually have valve reliefs) you have a bit more flexibility.
I would do a roller conversion, they are relatively cheap:
COMP Cams 31-1000 - COMP Cams Retro Fit Hydraulic Roller Lifter Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-6500-R302/

Definitely get roller rockers. Whether you get 1.6s or 1.7s will depend on what cam you get, if you get a different cam, and what pistons you have.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sounds like you did get a good deal on the p's. I have some and Ive been considering getting bigger valves or at least exhaust valves put in and having the bowls smoothed. I run FRPP B351 rollers, 1.6 ratio I believe and they work fine. But like he said it depends on the pistons and retro fit kit. Good luck:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so the heads look good. now i got take the old off, see what the pistons look like and order a cam. anyone know how i find out what size push rods i need?

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Good buy on the heads:bigthumbsup Maybe others can learn from this? I would convert to roller if running EFI.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no running a edelbrock performer rpm and 600 cfm carb. they hacked the main harness so no efi for this stang

1 - 7 of 7 Posts