Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my car is getting new tires in the next few weeks, so I have been browsing online and in stores to find good tires. I've found 2 different tires that I like (they are well priced and have good reviews), but they are 2 different sizes. They are each on different sites and each site says a different tire size is correct. One said 185/75/R14, and the other site said 195/75/R14. So which size should I go with?

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Go with the 195 (it's wider).

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
When i used my original wheels, i used 205/70's. I thought they filled up the wheel well better.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When i used my original wheels, i used 205/70's. I thought they filled up the wheel well better.
I thought 205's would be too big. I just looked in your photos and they look fine on your car. But your car has the Magnum 500s from a 1969 or 1970 Mustang. Even rarer about your Magnums is that they are the chrome plated version without trim rings. Usually you see argent painted wheels with a trim ring. My car just has it's original steel wheels with wheel covers.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
The 195/75 R 14 is the closest to the original size that was on the car when new in both width and diameter. (Actually, the tread width of the originals was smaller than the 195s!) The 185 replacement info has been around for years and is the result of multiple, imprecise tire labeling changes since 1966. Because of that I bought a set of 185s years ago and I can assure you that they are too small in diameter.

Larger sizes will also fit and many use them. The US Indy mags that came on my GT were shod with 205/70s which worked OK. (They were the explodes-in-the-trunk Firestone 500s of years ago.) That size is nearly the same diameter but wider than original.

·
Registered
547 Posts
The Coker Dual Red Lines on my Mustang are 195/75 R 14

Attachments

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I thought 205's would be too big. I just looked in your photos and they look fine on your car. But your car has the Magnum 500s from a 1969 or 1970 Mustang. Even rarer about your Magnums is that they are the chrome plated version without trim rings. Usually you see argent painted wheels with a trim ring. My car just has it's original steel wheels with wheel covers.

I dont know about what year they are styled after but they were made by a wheel outfit in Oregon about 4 yrs ago. (Just repro's) I didn't know some had trim rings on them.

The pics of my car with the Magnum's...them tires are 215-60's. I dont have any pics here with the 205-70's. If you are going with the original wheels, you just got to have the spoke hubcaps. Them are the sweetest looking things i seen. Even thinking about taking the M500's off & replacing them with the original wheels and repro hubcaps. (I lost all 5 of my originals spokes)

I got to liking the Magnums because they were used on the early Shelby's...most of the GT-350H had them.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
The Coker Dual Red Lines on my Mustang are 195/75 R 14
Unfortunately, those have been out of production for over a year. I bought one of the last sets; they had only 11 tires left in stock. The factory in Mexico City was sold and no longer makes tires for Coker. A new supplier will eventually be found but I have not seen those offered lately.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yes, it's too bad Coker hasn't done something about this. I found out the hard way last year, looking for a spare to put in my trunk. Lucky for me, I found someone selling four of these tires that were hardly used and one never used and still in the wrapper. One went into my trunk and the other four are stored for future use. Maybe there isn't enough of a market for these tires?

I understand you can get 205/70 R 14 dual red lines made by B.F. Goodrich

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
To each his own, but a modern radial tire makes an old car handle so much better. I still remember they day when I put a set on my '72.

·
Registered
547 Posts
To each his own, but a modern radial tire makes an old car handle so much better. I still remember they day when I put a set on my '72.
The red line tires on my Mustang are radials, as opposed to bias ply. The radial version of the red lines is what Coker discontinued.:weeps

I believe you can still get the bias ply red lines. I agree that if you drive your classic Mustang, radials are the way to go.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
The red line tires on my Mustang are radials, as opposed to bias ply. The radial version of the red lines is what Coker discontinued.:weeps

I believe you can still get the bias ply red lines. I agree that if you drive your classic Mustang, radials are the way to go.
Thanks for the edumacation. :bigthumbsup

Looking at the small photo of the tire in your trunk, it looked like a bias ply. Blowing it up I can see that it's a radial.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dont know about what year they are styled after but they were made by a wheel outfit in Oregon about 4 yrs ago. (Just repro's) I didn't know some had trim rings on them.

The pics of my car with the Magnum's...them tires are 215-60's. I dont have any pics here with the 205-70's. If you are going with the original wheels, you just got to have the spoke hubcaps. Them are the sweetest looking things i seen. Even thinking about taking the M500's off & replacing them with the original wheels and repro hubcaps. (I lost all 5 of my originals spokes)

I got to liking the Magnums because they were used on the early Shelby's...most of the GT-350H had them.
Right now I have wheel covers that are made to look like the 65-66 styled steel wheels. They are actually pretty convincing. I'm a member of the local Mustang club (GPMC) and alot of the other members couldn't tell until they took a second, closer look.

When I get out to college I'll put the spokes back on, but for the time and for the drive out to Kansas, I'm going to leave the styled steel caps on. They hold the wheels tighter, and I don't want to risk loosing an original spoke wheel cover somewhere along I-70.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts