Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This time it was a 2009 or earlier Mazdaspeed3 hatchback(single large diameter tailpipe). Don't know his mods, but I did hear a BOV so it may have had other performance mods. Mine is a manual 05 GT with a CAI/93 tune. And like the WRX I recently raced, this one also wanted no part of a dig run.
So we started from a 35 mph roll. Not exactly in the meat of my torque curve for 2nd gear, but close enough. I was able to pull half a car on him, but no more thru 2nd. I hit the rev limiter at the top of 2nd(duh!), he pulled even before I started pulling in 3rd, and we ended up with me leading by half a car before we had to shut down at 80-90 mph. He appeared to have a good driver mod, and we gave each other a thumbs up before parting ways.
Initially I thought it was closer than it should have been, even though I hit the limiter, and my car was down on power with the high heat and humidity in our area yesterday. Researching a stock MS3 showed the fastest one did 0-60 in 5.4 and the 1/4 in 14 flat in a C&D test. That seemed a little too fast for only 263 hp and 280 ft-lb, until I saw its weight -> only approx. 3200 lb. Now the result seemed more reasonable, especially if he was modded with more than only a BOV.

·
Banned
439 Posts
So the other guy ran in a different weather climate? :yelwacko:

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the other guy ran in a different weather climate? :yelwacko:
Good question!
I'm not a TC expert, but it's my understanding that a turbocharger in combination with its CBV(and BOV in this case) helps to maintain a relatively steady amount of boost, regardless of the air density. This in turn helps to minimize power loss due to high ambient heat when compared to a N/A engine.
The MS3 also has a stock intercooler that reduces the temperature of its engine's inlet air, which helps to prevent the ECU from pulling timing when the IAT typically exceeds 100 F. It's also possible that the owner replaced the stock unit with a larger unit which will reduce the inlet air's temperature even more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts