Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased my car last year I was debating on spending the $700 on the device from the dealer. I ended up getting it. It came with a "guarantee" certificate, but I'm still not convinced the device will fight rust for the life of the car.

What are your thoughts or experiences with this device in the past?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Nope, you're right. It won't help. For proof, check your rear end and any other bare components under the car. If they haven't already, I'd bet money they will flash rust in a couple of weeks as the manufacturing oils break down. I wouldn't have dropped $700 on that if I was that skeptical.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Its through Tricare right? I don't know if there is any concrete evidence showing that it works. I spun a wheel when I bought my car and it landed on "rust module" so I received one of those for free. I'm not sure if I would buy one though, but hey, if both our cars are free from body rust 7 years from now, I guess we'll be happy (although that still won't be evidence the module actually works).

·
Registered
269 Posts
From what I understand, the devices are used on steel ships and do work. The problem with cars is that so many of the parts have paint or seals or caulk or bushings or something between them and the main body that it seems to me that only the main body structure would be protected???

I'm sure there are more threads on it somewhere, but why the hell are so many parts left unpainted under the car as mentioned above??? For the love of God my old and cheap 99 S10 has paint on everything under the body and if I actually cleaned it up it would look brand new underneath the truck still, spindles, rear axle, driveshaft, etc... WTF was ford thinking?

·
Registered
646 Posts
The devices on ships also use a consumable anode and require much more power, but they do work quite well. They are also covered in water, which directly consumes and reacts with the system. Something with virtually no current draw is not going to do anything to prevent oxidation in an air environment. They've been selling this in JCW magazines since the 70's for like $50. It's right alongside the fuel line magnet and tornado air turbulator.

Those large cast iron and steel components some people worry about are usually left unpainted, because they will outlast the rest of the car 2-3 times over. Literally, it would take 100 years for these to rot out. Not exactly a huge concern with any OEM looking to save, like they all do. Trucks will usually get painted just because they ride high and the parts are visible. The only people seeing ours are those crawling underneath it. Also not an issue.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I am in Windsor as well. My dealer wanted 895.00 for the rust prevention "device". I didnt get it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Between my dad and I we own quite a few classics, so I'm somewhat familair with rust :yelwacko:, and I have a strong hatered for it, which is why I was kinda pissed when I put the new girl up on ramps and did the first oil change. Sure, it will be fine, but with what we pay for new cars now a days... come on...

·
Registered
357 Posts
The "Guarantee" is a BET the provider makes that the car will have a new owner prior to rust through.

Was there a "Guarantee" against "Patina"?

·
Registered
522 Posts
I got the module through tri-care with their interior and exterior care. I don't really care about the module, only about the warranty. Allegedly it helps. I'm skeptical. So, if it helps, great! However, if I decide drive it in the winter (last year it was garaged), I will still get it rust checked.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the insight and comments. I'm going to take a closer look at the "Guarantee" and tell you what it says. Although I'm feeling somewhat foolish now lol. Guess I'm a sucker.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I bought a 02 GT Premium on Monday 5/6/13 My son in law was over last night and he was checking her out, he asked to open the hood. What I thought was a factory alarm was actually one of these Anti-Rust devices, he said these cost a-lot.
I live in NY and the preveious owner stored it for the winters in a climate controlled storage place. But the underneath of the car from the frame to the fenders and rear quarters are spotless, this sucker is Clean. I dont know if this device helped or not, but if it did it did a great job.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I would be skeptical of such a device too. They work on the basis of galvanic potential, but that usually requires a sacrificial anode like the zinc ones used on boats. I don't see how it would work without the sacrificial element. Also, rust on steel can occur form straight up reactions with oxygen which is different than galvanic corrosion so I would not think that it would help with that either.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I imported one of these from Finland back in the 90's before they were domestically available. It came with a controller and 4 anodes.

No idea if they work or not......unneeded on any modern car IMHO.:nogrinner

I still have the controller and one anode....:yelwacko:

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Interestingly, when my hood was being replaced due to leading edge paint bubbling at DonWay Ford, there was a Shelby ( maybe the owner can chime in if he's on this forum) I think, white with blue stripes....apparently, he won this ride through some kind of "promotion" BEST BUY had at the time with a very interesting plate "MYBESTBUY" or some thing to that effect:
His hood was also full of paint bubbling, not just in it's leading edge, but also along the sides, front to back, and it was pretty bad.
...and guess what he had installed on the passenger side? yep one of those devices that supposed to stop rust, with it's blinking light ON... hell of a lot of good it was serving that particular ride.
It sure did not help his hood ( being aluminium) in the least...not sure if they were going to replace it or repair it!!!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Once a year mine goes in to rust check for a complete application of the stuff. It's not that expensive and over the years have used it and seems to have held rust at bay over the years.
I had it applied to my then new 2004 SRT4 (almost a 9 year old ride now) and yeah it's still rust free according to the new owner... he still maintains it with Rust Check yearly.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I worked in electronics for over 25 years with engineers with doctorate degrees. These things are just a scam to make the dealer rich. I got one for free just to try out from a distributor as an experiment on a 1984 Buick. The bottom of the doors rotted out and holes in the quarter panels. All the engineers were right saying they are flawed .

·
Registered
248 Posts
I read a study on them somewhere and they only work on applications where the part is perpetually immersed in a fluid. That's why they work on things like ships or pipes carrying fluid. My wife has one on her van and it is showing rust

·
Registered
190 Posts
When i bought my mustang here in Germany, it was sent over with a Ziebart rust proofing on all the major rust areas, shock towers, axle so on and so....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.