Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some problems with my anti theft on my car and after lots of searching on the internet and lots of calls to technicians I eventually fixed the system on my particular car. I bought it used. So if your reading this to help give me advice on how to fix the problem don't worry I fixed it and I appreciate your interest. I hope this will help some one out there that has the same problem.

While my car was in the shop I knew that my battery was dying and one day while I was dropping something off at my shop the battery finally died. I didn't think much of it at the time and asked the guys if they would jump it or charge it something because my windows were rolled down and it was about it to rain. They took care of it and when I had come back a few day later to pick up my car I had to recalibrate my windows because they wouldn't roll down that quarter of an inch and back up to clear the opening like they should.
So if you have that problem for a dead battery and now looking to fix it heres how to to recalibrate the windows. Get in the car, close door, turn the key to the third position (on, the one right before you crank it) and roll the driver side window down, while it is down hold down on the button for two seconds and then roll the window up and hold the button for two seconds. I had to do this with my passenger window as well. I don't remember if I had the car cranked and running or not. But if it doesn't work when its not cranked then try doing it when it is cranked. But I'm pretty sure that it should work with out being cranked. Most programing sequences don't involve the car running.

However before my battery died in my car I could hit the lock button on my key fob (remote) and lock my doors and the horn would chirp/honk (what ever you call it) when my doors would lock. It would also be accompanied by the head lights and brake lights lighting up for a short period of time then going off. This let me know that my anti theft system was armed (activated). My anti theft light in my car would then flash steadily.

Now after getting my car back from the shop and recalibrating the windows, when I would lock my doors it would no long chirp/honk when I would hit the lock button on my key fob. The lights would still function as normally. But it would not chirp/honk. So this concerned me. So I tried locking it before I got out and closing the door and the same thing. I was concerned that my anti theft wasn't activated so I tried setting it off on purpose. And it would not sound (Arm start honking, and making lots of noise lights flashing.) Before if you were inside and moved too much or got out of it after you would lock it with the key fob it would go off. But not any more.

I checked my owners manual on everything from reprograming my key fob (which I tried and later found out it that had nothing to do with the problem, but now for all you people out there, if you end up having to buy a key fob for your car, yes you can program it yourself following the instructions in your owners manual and not have to take it to the dealership and pay and outrageous $75 for them you do it. You can do it yourself. Same for programing keys) to the anti theft arming and disarming. I checked all the fuses in my kick panel located in the passenger floor (which is a pain to get too). I checked fuses under the hood. None of this was it. I called technician after technician to where they got to recognize my voice when I called about how to fix this.

Now my key fob isn't a ford issued one, so that led me to believe that maybe the system in my car wasn't ford as well, but I didn't want to jump to conclusions. I can't even barely get a technician to listen to me after they looked at my key fob and said interrupting me "This isn't a Ford key fob so you need to find out were it came from". Well no joke, thats why I'm talking to you is what I wanted to say. I asked them where the ford anti theft system module would be located if my car did have one. And they said this and that which really didn't help me. I called stero one, best buy, and other places that installed aftermarket anti theft systems on cars to ask where it would be located on my car so that maybe I could reset it since my battery died. And one said under the dash on the drivers side located by the steering column (wasn't there). Another said somewhere under the dash on the passenger side (wasn't there either) one guy said that different people put it in different places, depends on how well they feel like hiding it that day i guess.

I eventually got a guy in the parts department to listen to me enough to where I asked him to look up the system and look at a diagram to where it would be located on a mustang if it was a ford anti theft system. He told me that the module should be located above the fuse box located in passenger kick panel (incase any of you are interested)

Turns out while I was constantly looking in my kick panel (standing on my head) I noticed a little button above my kick panel. Being the curious individual I am I began to push it. And nothing happened. So I held it down. Nothing happened. Upon looking through my little case that had my owners manual and everything I found a little flap that had some papers I didn't notice before.

Behold! Finally I found out what kind of system was installed on my car, and had the manual in my hands! Turns out that the previous owner had a Ultraguard system installed. And that there are a couple of settings for it. There is a setting for a valet mode, a silent alarm, and a not so silent alarm. Apparently when my battery died it reset itself to silent. Reading in the manual it gave instructions on how to arm and set the alarm to where when you lock the doors it chirps/honks. The button located by my kick panel fuses I mentioned, turns out that to set the system to where it will actively alarm when broken into and etc. and to where it chirps when you lock the doors you have to put the key in the ignition, turn it to postion three (on), and press the button two times within a few seconds. and it should honk twice to let you know its either silent or active.

Hope this helps some one out even if its not related to antitheft. I didn't want to pay a dealership $85 an hour to hook up to diagnostic machine when I could do it myself. It took a lot of headaches but I saved myself $85.

Knight636

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.