Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my friends are telling me that my radiator is getting low because im running water. Can the water really evaporate? whats better water or half and half?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I keep about 75 water 25 coolant in summer and 50/50 in winter. Water will evaporate a bit, but remember its a closed system..it shouldnt empty out once a week.

·
Registered
186 Posts
your motor will atually run a few degrees cooler with straight water. the chemicals in the antifreeze make it run hotter. water will be fine as long as you remember to change it over before winter

·
Registered
7 Posts
my friends are telling me that my radiator is getting low because im running water. Can the water really evaporate? whats better water or half and half?
I'd use a 50/50 mixture, antifreee/coolant serves two purposes, it lowers your engine coolants freezing point and raises its boiling point. I'd pressure test the cooling sytem, I don't think enough would evaporate using plain water to cause you a problem.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I run straight water with some redline water wetter. I agree with masshole it shouldn't be disappearing at that rate.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
If you have coolant dropping, but no visible leak, it could be going out the tailpipes.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
you should also run antifreeze because it protects against corrosion. a 25/75 mix is fine for summer and will greatly raise the boiling point of the coolant

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Pure water cools better than anti-freeze. But it also has a lower boiling point than a mixture. It does not lube the water pump, and will corrode the system something awefull. Imagine soaking a bare engine block in water for a year. Unless you're on the track only, don't use pure water.

Surfactents like water wetter and blue ice will help a lot. But they don't lube the water pump or prevent corrsion either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.