Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have owned my 67 for about 6 years last year did an rebuild to a 348 no problems hope to continue enjoying this awesome car how ever i could use a little help when i really get on it it pucks anti freeze any thoughts thanks mark

G

·
Welcome to AFM! Let me move this to the classic tech section for you. Give us some more info and we'll see if we can get you figured out.
Thanks for joining!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
it pukes antifreeze? how full are you filling it. about an inch below the cap is plenty, any more than that and it will spit a little out till its happy

·
Registered
920 Posts
install a coolant recovery system. It will let your system seek it's own level without dumping coolant on the ground.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
+1 for the coolant recovery. It'll take a number of cycles to purge all of the air out of the system. In the meantime, keep the recovery tank half filled. When finished, the coolant should be just at the edge of the tank filler lip.
Happy trails!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a recovery tank. does it matter the hight in comparison to the radiator?? Also will it pull antifreeze from the tank if it needs to.?? thanks again

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I have a recovery tank. does it matter the hight in comparison to the radiator?? Also will it pull antifreeze from the tank if it needs to.?? thanks again
your overflow hose from the radiator needs to be at the bottom of the tank, and if the radiator gets low when the car cools off it will draw in some coolant. but thats only if its boiling it off somewhere else. if its filled properly it wont spit or draw any coolant

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Hi,
The ideal relationship is to have the coolant recovery about the same height as the rad. If by, whatever reasons,this is not possible (I know of very few instances for this) then, your recovery tank becomes an expansion tank. This means, a blank non-pressurized cap on the rad and and your pressure cap of 7-8lbs (non-AC) is on the expansion tank.
Happy Motoring!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts