Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looks like I'll be parking outdoors over the winter. the temperature will definitely drop well below the freezing point of the factory mixed antifreeze/water. So... the manual says use Motocraft xyzabc AF/C; is there anything else that can be used without mucking things up?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think that all of the new Mustangs have the gold antifreeze. I think that it is compatible with the old green / blue or the red.

I don't know how the freezing point will change with mixing. You may have to do some experiments to find out.

How cold is it going to get there? Do you have a block heater?

·
Registered
172 Posts
pbatour said:
I think that all of the new Mustangs have the gold antifreeze. I think that it is compatible with the old green / blue or the red.

I don't know how the freezing point will change with mixing. You may have to do some experiments to find out.

I can confirm that the new Mustangs DO use the gold antifreeze. I checked a bottle of Prestone at my neighborhood car parts store a few weeks ago and it indicated that it was compatible with all types of antifreeze. Since I don't trust blanket statements like that I went over to Ford and bought a jug of the gold antifreeze just to be safe.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pbatour said:

Prestone can be mixed up to almost 70/30 to provide protection to -60C. I won't need that much but it is not uncommon to see -45C once or twice. I have a block heater, but I don't expect to park near an outlet. I'll have to drop by the local Ford and check out their formula.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Sorry if this is a silly question, but is there any ill effects if you mix Antifreeze companies? I'm in Germany and don't have access to all the stuff you guys can get. So, for example, can I just get Perstone and make sure that I mix it to the appropriate temperature with what's already in the car? Or would I have to flush the factory mix and then go in with another brand?

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
scramblr said:
Sorry if this is a silly question, but is there any ill effects if you mix Antifreeze companies? I'm in Germany and don't have access to all the stuff you guys can get. So, for example, can I just get Perstone and make sure that I mix it to the appropriate temperature with what's already in the car? Or would I have to flush the factory mix and then go in with another brand?
I would drain whatever you have first, I mixed antifreeze in my wife's car, about six months later, she got a low antifreeze level light, I opened the cap and it was full of gunk! I had to have it flushed out.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just re-read the manual... I suppose as long as the new antifreeze meets Ford WSS-M97B51-A1 specs you should be good.

Apparently the stock 50-50 mix is good to -36C. It says you can mix up to 60-40. Not sure what that's good to, probably around -45C, so that should be plenty good.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Thanks pcfrisch and nonsensez9. Doesn't get down to -36*C here, so I should be good to go for this winter. Guess I'll make sure that if I have to add some, to ensure it meets specs, otherwise I'll just flush.

p.s. Nice color nonsensez9!!!:thumbsup

·
Registered
897 Posts
Direct from ford

Premium Gold Engine Coolant

- Yellow-colored, extended-life, ethylene glycol based engine coolant for use in gasoline and diesel engines
- Provides year-round antifreeze, antiboil and corrosion protection
- Only use where specified. Do not mix this product with systems originally equipped with any green-colored, conventional engine coolant such as Motorcraft® Premium Engine Coolant, meeting Ford Material Specification ESE-M97B44-A or any orange-colored,extended-life engine coolant such as Motorcraft® Specialty Orange Engine Coolant, meeting Ford Material Specification WSS-M97B44-D

Peak has their Global Lifetime Coolant and Zerex has their G-05 coolant.

These are all 5 year coolants so you don't need to flush and fill unless you really need the extra protection.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok... so I picked up some premium gold from a local ford dealer. Drained 2.5 litres of factory 50/50 mix, added 2.5 litres antifreeze to bring me to an estimated 60/40 mix. however, most of the straight a/f is in the overflow reservoir. Does that fluid get cycled through with the rest sooner or later or does it just stay in the reservoir until needed?

by the way, do these rads have caps on them? And how is the rad cover removed? Will those plastic thingies break off if I pull on them?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I read that we shouldn't vary the 50/50 by more than 10 in either direction (no more than 60/40 or 40/60), and it's optimal to stay as close to 50/50 as possible.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The owners manual states that for colder climates it's ok to go to 60/40. But nowhere to be found is what temperature range that covers. Not in the manual, not on the antifreeze container, not on the website. nowhere.

anyhooo... will the fluid in the overflow eventually mix in with the fluid in the rest of the system?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I see you didn't get a direct answer to the original question.

Yes, added coolant does mix with the rest. Normal expansion when hot, and contraction when cool is enough to gradually mix the coolant in the reservoir with the coolant pumped through the engine. A week of daily driving is more then enough for good mixing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts