Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 cyl 1993 Mustang shell, I want a carb 351W engine and some support to hold the engine in the front. I want the engine somewhat built or rebuilt with some high performance parts cleaned and painted. My budget on this is $2,000 and what I'm willing to spend depends on what will be done. Any shops in LA familiar with this swap and good with high performance stuff pricing please let me know. I want this done ASAP.

·
Registered
77 Posts
i live in los angeles myself. I don't know of any performance super shops around here. $2,000 isn't a whole lot of money to do an engine swap. From what im told, its a lot more difficult and frustrating than just replacing the motor.

-complete motor
-trans
-drive shaft
-rear end gears
-front suspension
-motor mounts
-installation (labor)
-brakes system (i think)

You may be better off selling that mustang and put another $1,000 with the money you already have and buy a nice one you'll enjoy working on. You'll save yourself a lifetime of problems. i could be wrong, but it was just some friendly advice.

·
Registered
161 Posts
See above He is 100% correct.
I did this swap a few years ago. with the right connections and a lot of experience this can be done for the $2000 you want to spend but i was doing all of the work.
if you found a 351 for free it would cost near $1200 for parts and basic machine shop work. (bearings ,rings, gaskets, hot tank, clean inspect and polish) you still need a transmission. you can leave the rear end it will last as long as you don't put fat sticky tires on it.
keep in mind what a shop charges per hour. the more you can do is money not out of your pocket.
If they need to figure everything out for you you will pay for that also.

Good luck
Ken

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I run a mechanic shop so that's not a problem I just want a engine built and my front end built to hold the engine and power.. trans would be nice but I can find a used one and build that at the shop once the engine is in place and being supported correctly.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you are a mechanic just pull the stock front suspension from a stock 5.0 mustang and switch the parts. It will all bolt in and be strong enough. A 351 doesn't weigh much more than a 302 and with some aluminium parts near the same. Now you just need an engine builder.

Ken

1 - 6 of 6 Posts