Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to my body shop of choice tomorrow to get the guys to check out the damage before the adjuster does.

I'm planning on going ahead and getting my dual exhaust put on while they patch up my car, so has anybody had any experience with aftermarket parts?

I hear OEM parts are better but Geico might not cover them..don't know just yet. :headscratch:

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I'm going to my body shop of choice tomorrow to get the guys to check out the damage before the adjuster does.

I'm planning on going ahead and getting my dual exhaust put on while they patch up my car, so has anybody had any experience with aftermarket parts?

I hear OEM parts are better but Geico might not cover them..don't know just yet. :headscratch:
Why would Geico not cover OEM parts? So everyone that has an accident with Geico has to replace their body panels with aftermarket?:heha:Not every car on the road has aftermarket stuff...what then? :)

·
Registered
895 Posts
Why would Geico not cover OEM parts? So everyone that has an accident with Geico has to replace their body panels with aftermarket?:heha:Not every car on the road has aftermarket stuff...what then? :)
Believe me, all insurance companies will replace parts with repos if the car is an older model. If your car is 2 years old, you could argue for factory replacement parts, if not, expect repo.
I worked in a body shop for 6 years, this is their practice! They tried to replace my 98 cobra front bumper with a repo, got the repo, didn't fit so I argued the fact that the car is built in limited numbers and the repo did not fit correctly so I go my Ford cover but not without a headache!

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Believe me, all insurance companies will replace parts with repos if the car is an older model. If your car is 2 years old, you could argue for factory replacement parts, if not, expect repo.
I worked in a body shop for 6 years, this is their practice! They tried to replace my 98 cobra front bumper with a repo, got the repo, didn't fit so I argued the fact that the car is built in limited numbers and the repo did not fit correctly so I go my Ford cover but not without a headache!
What's a repo? Is it just a replacement taken off another junked stang? If so that's fine, I figured when the OP mentioend "aftermarket", which to me means bodykits like Steeda, Saleen, Trufiber, etc, and there aren't any bumpers to my knowledge that would resemble OEM bumpers.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I'm thinking about going with the American Muscle GT bumper since I'm doing the dual exhaust but if there was a more awesome looking bumper out there, then i'd look into that! This is my first time dealing with an insurance claim big enough for repairs so admittedly...I'm a rookie! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
552 Posts
Try to swing a whole body kit lol

·
Registered
895 Posts
What's a repo? Is it just a replacement taken off another junked stang? If so that's fine, I figured when the OP mentioend "aftermarket", which to me means bodykits like Steeda, Saleen, Trufiber, etc, and there aren't any bumpers to my knowledge that would resemble OEM bumpers.
Repo is reproduction, aftermarket stock bumper most likely made in China. They can be fine but speaking from experience they almost never fit correctly. The body shop usually gets stuck making it fit which takes some body filler, grinding and rigging or all the above!

Repo bumpers can cost maybe as little as $100 where an actual OEM bumper could be 4 times that price.

One last thing, if the adjuster quotes a repo bumper your options will be limited simply because $100 isn't alot to work with when trying to find something better. If they write it up for OEM they also can opt for a used bumper. They will do everything they can to pay as little as they can to fix. So stay diligent!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
these are the body parts I want... all can also be bought from andysautosport.com...

JT Autostyle BW Body Kit - Rear Bumper for 99-04 Ford Mustang at Andy's Auto Sport

VIS Racing V Speed Body Kit - Front Bumper for 99-04 Ford Mustang at Andy's Auto Sport

Extreme Dimensions Z3000 Fenders for 99-04 Ford Mustang at Andy's Auto Sport

the back bumper can be bought under many brands, but I'd look at the Extreme Dimensions kits, they have a product called DuraFlex

by law according to a judge judy or millian (cant remember) YOU are not required to get you car's bumpers replaced by stock bumpers and can argue this point to the insurance, IF you go by that means, but if you want STOCK OEM parts and you tell the insurance to install the STOCK OEM and they don't, you can now sue them for damaging your car, even if it is not damaged, BECAUSE, now your car is not original and will hurt the resale... (supposedly)

I on other hand, will go and get the appraisal (and if higher than a custom kit) tell the insurance that the body shop said its this price to fix, but the kit is cheaper and then ask if the insurance will use the kit cause I want to save the insurance some money out of the goodness of my heart, lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts