Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas that are cheap but got good bang for my buck for my 03 stang. Right now its stock except for a few cosmetic changes but i wanna add some power to it. thanks :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a respectable amount of power, like to the point where i can feel an increase. On a budget I'd say about mid of pack I'd spend the money if i have to but i wanna get what its worth out of it.

R

·
0 Posts
Here we go:
GET IT

Gears: 3.73 for manual, 4.10 for auto. These will make you lose some top end but, you will accelerate faster and be able to get into the power band faster. (Gears and T-Lok run around $400 plus install)
Exhaust: true duals (nothing with a Y-pipe), Flowmasters sound good as well as Cherrybomb Extremes, and Borlas. Stick with divorced pipes or an H-pipe. A local shop can usually do this for $350-500
T-Lok: Also know as a limited slip differential. This allows power to be applied to both wheels under hard acceleration. (A must with gears.)
Intake: A cold air intake is quick and easy. It will add a few horsepower and make your exhaust deeper. The $60-80 ones on eBay or AmericanMuscle.com are as good as the expensive ones (like BBK).
Tuner: This is a hand held device that can reprogram your car's computer. It allows for more power to be gained with new mods and to retune your car for 91 or 93 octane for even more power. They also can read check engine lights, adjust your car's speedo for new gears and tires, and much more. AmericanMuscle.com has the SCT hand held tuner for $380 and that includes custom tunes emailed to you for life.

All of these together will get you around 15-20 more horsepower to the rear wheels and give you quite a boost in "the seat of the pants" dyno.
I have everything above and it is a whole new car compared to stock. Having said all that gears and a T-Lok are your biggest bang for the buck.

Edit: Where are my manners, welcome to the forum! :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dual exhaust was something I've decided already i have to get. But how much will the cold air intake really help? I've been looking around and heard just about everything from that its great to that the factory one is better. They seem pretty cheap but are they worth it?

R

·
0 Posts
It is nothing drastic. If you want to get the most out of your stock intake get a drop in K&N filter those are around $40. Then again the whole cold air intake is only $75. They look a lot better and do perform better than the stock piping. Most of your gains are from the surface area of the filter, from the straightness of the piping, and the smoothness of the piping. The stock is much smaller and is very rough on the inside. Another plus is I did notice a 2 MPG increase after the CAI went in.
In short, if you can do it. If not save the money and put it towards gears and a T-Lok. You can always put one in later.

S

·
0 Posts
Red's got it covered here for you. I'm always a major proponent of getting gears first as it will make you feel like you're driving a completely different car! There's no hp increase but it will get you in your powerband quicker as was stated above. There is a huge SOTP feel associated with this mod.

:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here we go:
GET IT

Gears: 3.73 for manual, 4.10 for auto. These will make you lose some top end but, you will accelerate faster and be able to get into the power band faster. (Gears and T-Lok run around $400 plus install)
Exhaust: true duals (nothing with a Y-pipe), Flowmasters sound good as well as Cherrybomb Extremes, and Borlas. Stick with divorced pipes or an H-pipe. A local shop can usually do this for $350-500
T-Lok: Also know as a limited slip differential. This allows power to be applied to both wheels under hard acceleration. (A must with gears.)
Intake: A cold air intake is quick and easy. It will add a few horsepower and make your exhaust deeper. The $60-80 ones on eBay or AmericanMuscle.com are as good as the expensive ones (like BBK).
Tuner: This is a hand held device that can reprogram your car's computer. It allows for more power to be gained with new mods and to retune your car for 91 or 93 octane for even more power. They also can read check engine lights, adjust your car's speedo for new gears and tires, and much more. AmericanMuscle.com has the SCT hand held tuner for $380 and that includes custom tunes emailed to you for life.

All of these together will get you around 15-20 more horsepower to the rear wheels and give you quite a boost in "the seat of the pants" dyno.
I have everything above and it is a whole new car compared to stock. Having said all that gears and a T-Lok are your biggest bang for the buck.

Edit: Where are my manners, welcome to the forum! :D

This is great advice. Any idea which of these are the easiest to install and require the least amount of time and which are the hardest to install and require the most amount of time?

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
tuner is easiest.. plug it in and press a few buttons.. then is the CAI all u need is a screwdriver and a socket... then theres a t-lock that you can probably do yourself.. then exhaust which probably should be done by a shop and then gears which are most difficult on the list.. gears could/should be done at the same time as a t-lock but not without it.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
Let's see, for real power you could run a small NOS kit, or if the budget is bigger a turbo...sometimes one must ask themselves "how much do I want to dump into my car?", then take that amount and see if it wouldn't make more sense to get a GT or Cobra...
Don't forget about tires/wheels, interior and suspension upgrades, they are just as nice and often overlooked.

R

·
0 Posts
Don't forget to factor in the fact that GT or Cobra insurance is often double that of a V6.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah nailed it. I'd love have a gt but teenager + Gt insurance is too expensive but I got no complains about my 6. Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Question

But is it fine the other way around? To put in a T-lok without the gears?

tuner is easiest.. plug it in and press a few buttons.. then is the CAI all u need is a screwdriver and a socket... then theres a t-lock that you can probably do yourself.. then exhaust which probably should be done by a shop and then gears which are most difficult on the list.. gears could/should be done at the same time as a t-lock but not without it.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
yes t-lock is fine on its own

·
Registered
794 Posts
GET A WINDSTAR INTAKE 50 BUCKS YOU WONT BE DISAPIONTED , THIS WITH OTHER BOLT ONS IS A HUGE GAIN.

This is the only part that made a gain in my butt dyno :laugh:

·
Registered
163 Posts
So about how much are we talkin for the entire gear/t-lock job, parts, hours at shop, the whole deal. How much would it cost?

·
Registered
15 Posts
More additions.

Cool. Sounds good. Anyone have an opinion on these things ive seen online kinda like a cheap mini supercharger for people who dont want to spend thousands of dollars on a supercharger or turbo kit just want a bit more power at an affordable price.

One of them is called Mustang Supercharger Turbonator Stage 2 and the other is Mustang 1 PSI Super Charger System

Seen them both at Ford Mustang Parts Mustang Performance Parts Accessories Wheels Body Kits HID

Are these even worth buying?

R

·
0 Posts
You get more horsepower gained by putting a squirrel into your intake. :rollgrin:
No, they do not work.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
electric powered "superchargers" are a fail.. dont even bother...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.