Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I posted I'm probably buying a new car soon. Either a Camaro SS or 2011+ GT. Anyways I know to stay away from the manual, and besides would buy an auto anyway, but any reason why I shouldn't buy a automatic GT? What happens if Ford gets bad publicity over the manual GT? Would it affect the worth of an auto GT?

Or would I honestly be better buying a camaro SS?

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Hmmm...you come to a Mustang forum asking us to help you justify buying a Camaro SS because an automatic Mustang might lose value over the reputation of a manual...

Very interesting indeed...

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm...you come to a Mustang forum asking us to help you justify buying a Camaro SS because an automatic Mustang might lose value over the reputation of a manual...

Very interesting indeed...
I'm not turning this into a bash fest. Infact I own a 2006 GT but just want advice if buying a 5.0 right now is a good idea or not due to the mt82 problems and Ford not taking care of the customer.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Might be easier to browse the Camaro forums and see what kinds of problems the 2011-2012 Camaro SS owners are experiencing. They might not be any better off.

If they are better off, then the Mustang is not the one for you.

The problem is that there are plenty of 5.0 oweners of the MT-82 who love it, as well as automatic owners. And plenty who do not. It would be much more time consuming but more worth your effort to look for service bulletins on Mustangs and Camaros, research Consumer Reports, and read the Camaro blogs for their variety of gripes, and make your decision based more on the documented facts than the opinions of fans. There are tons of opinions either way.

BUT...

As you do appear to be searching for opinions here, I'll step back and allow the 5.0 owners to take this.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If i were you i'd look seriously at the auto GT mustang. I have a manual (my 3rd one) and do some 1/8 mile drag racing. I've noticed that the auto cars win 'disproportionally' in this event! Auto trans have come a very long way and i wouldnt shy away from one at all. If i could do it over again, i would get a 2012 GT w/auto and change out the rear gears from 3:15 to 3:73s.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I love the auto GT. Drove SS first with all intentions in the world of getting one. Did not like visibility. Went & drove GT. Better feel, driving position & performance. I don't see a bad decision being made on resale. They have & will always hold their value. Drive both & get the one you like. Don't worry about a few bucks difference on resale. Life's too short!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have a 2012 mustang with the MT82. Going strong with no issues. Thinking of a mustang with anything but a manual makes me a little sick to my stomach...

·
Registered
653 Posts
well I bought a automatic, and while not perfect I am happy with my choice

I am not a huge fan on how the idiots at ford programed the transmission, but a quick call to Jim at JDM and I am so much happier with how it shifts. Before it sometimes got confused what gear it should be in, or was in to high of a gear, not anymore, and boy does it go :)

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The only reason that I would see someone regretting an automatic 5.0 is that they wanted a manual in the first place. Now if you are worried about the car loosing its value I strongly suggest that you don't buy a new car period.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
agree with pretty much everyone else, browse the camaro forums and see what problem they have, go test drive each one, i have an auto v6 and im sure its the same tranny, i have had zero problem and zero complaints (after the tune ofcourse) the new shift points made a HUGE difference day and night. it is hard to see outta the camaro too. im sure you could get used to it tho.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Keep in mind that the auto SS is significantly slower than the auto GT. But dyno might fool you, but if you run across a Mustang on the street I doubt you're the victor. Do your research and make your choice. Asking a bunch of strangers what you should do with 35K seems...lazy quite frankly.

Do research on vehicles that had issues and see what happened to their used car prices. How far did they drop in comparison to competitor vehicles? How are they perceived on rival vehicle forums, or on their own forums? The answers to all of your questions are out there. You will undoubtedly be given a highly biased opinion here.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
The real question is why would you buy a manual of any car now a days? Kinda a silly question unless you just love to shift.

GT - Better looking, better MPG, better visibility, quicker, faster, better handling (debatable), Auto transmission is bullet proof.

SS - They made a movie robot that turns into one, they look cool, they come in better colors, they sell a lot of them.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The real question is why would you buy a manual of any car now a days? Kinda a silly question unless you just love to shift.

GT - Better looking, better MPG, better visibility, quicker, faster, better handling (debatable), Auto transmission is bullet proof.

SS - They made a movie robot that turns into one, they look cool, they come in better colors, they sell a lot of them.
Some would argue that owning a manual offers much more than just being able to shift. IMO, some of the intimacy between yourself and your car is lost when you go with an auto. Obviously, this is very much a "feeling" thing and not very tangible...some people get it and dig it...some don't and prefer convenience. I guess I share Jay Leno's "old school" philosophy regarding manuals vs. automatics vs. DCTs...always going with a manual, if I have an option.

·
Registered
25 Posts
As I posted I'm probably buying a new car soon. Either a Camaro SS or 2011+ GT. Anyways I know to stay away from the manual, and besides would buy an auto anyway, but any reason why I shouldn't buy a automatic GT? What happens if Ford gets bad publicity over the manual GT? Would it affect the worth of an auto GT?

Or would I honestly be better buying a camaro SS?
Go look on any mustang forum and see if you can find widespread manual problems. The only reason the sticky thread is here is because one member keeps posting in it... lethal performance seems to do just fine with their stock transmission and theyre running a supercharger+hoosier slicks living their life a quarter mile of the time

Buying a camaro SS = slower, more expensive, less visibility, weighs more, less mod friendly. objective facts, none subjective.

I think you understand that manuals are better (unless all you care about is putting down faster and more consistent quarter mile times), and if your only reason for not buying one is the sticky thread then refer to my above paragraph.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The only reason NOT to buy an auto IMO.... is the fact that it could be a 6 speed manual....

Mine is working fine... putting a blower on it also ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts

Have you ever owned a manual car?

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
The only problem with buying an auto Camaro is, well, you'd have to look at it. :hihi:

I have never been happier with a car than my new GT with the 6R80. I can drive a manual and quite well, but I just didn't want one this time around.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Have you ever owned a manual car?
Yes, and I used to own a pager too. Autos have been outperforming the manuals for over 5 years now in almost every performance arena. We are in 2011 now. 1999 called, they want their manual transmission back. LMAO.....

All joking aside. Manuals still have their place. It's in my rear view mirror. LOL

·
Registered
359 Posts
I think the question about Mustang vs Camaro is one question, and auto vs manual is another.

Look, I am no Ford or Mustang fanboy. I really like the way all three of the "new gen" muscle cars look, and I've driven all three. My boss drives a Challenger; so, there was no way I was going to own one of those. While it probably has the most comfortable ride, it is the least quick and least nimble. I also drove the V6 Camaro and wasn't very impressed. I do like the select shift "paddle" shifters on their automatics, but the Mustang is far more responsive.

I test drove both the V6 automatic and the manual GT. The manual GT was a lot of fun to drive, but I didn't think the transmission was super smooth. I will always prefer a manual on a muscle car because it has that more macho feel to it, but I have been very happy with the ease in traffic of the auto transmission on my V6. I just miss deciding when to shift and the ability to skip gears if I like.

Regarding resale value and such, a car is almost never an investment. Unless you're getting something that will be a classic 40 years from now, you'll never make money off of it or even break even. Buy whichever one you like the most. The fun you enjoy amortized over the life of your ownership will trump any potential resale bump that one might give over another :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.