Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it gives you a sinking feeling but has anyone heard of anyone getting their stang stolen yet? It's bound to happen. I park in an apt underground parking lot and feel a bit unsafe about my car. I've had a couple of Harleys stolen here in LA (not in my current building) and always feel my GT is in danger. What are you guys doing to protect your ride? And if it is stolen and you've made mods up to the tune of 35 Grand or more is your insurance co. going to cover the cost of the extras? Alarm upgrades anyone wants to hip us to? Things to consider....

·
Registered
454 Posts
Well I do know that if anyone does steal mine they won't be driving it on the street for long. Can you imagine "be on the lookout for an 05 Mustang GT, legend lime with LeMans stripes". Shouldn't be too hard to spot.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^ Thats what I'm thinking the GTs not a thief demand item yet. But they will be once the 06s come out and there are more of them on the road. If I knew I could catch somebody stealing my car I'd sleep, armed to the teeth, in my trunk... I've got to consult my friends in law and see what my rights are with reguards to me popping out of the trunk with night vision goggles and placing a sucking head wound right between the eyes of the SOB messing with stang w/ my Glock. Probaly some liberal 'laying in wait' laws going to get in my way of some good hunting.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I had a LoJack retrieval system installed on my Mustang 05 GT before I even picked it up from the dealer. It also has an early warning system, so if the car is moved or even tipped (as in a tow-away theft) without the key fob, within 15min-1hr it will call my cell phone, home phone, and e-mail me to let me know. Think about it, if you are in the mall all day, or asleep at night, by the time you get back to your car and realize it's gone, it's already been 5-8hrs, and your car is already in a chop shop, in the next state, or on a boat headed for another continent!

·
Registered
483 Posts
How much did the LoJack cost you?

·
Registered
240 Posts
In response to theyogawarrior, the new Mustang model may never be on the top list of stolen cars, simply because there are not that many of them. Cars like the Accord are stolen a lot because the demand for replacement parts is enormous. And since there are so many Accords on the road, the thief can easily fade into traffic and evade anyone looking for the car.But I'm not taking any chances!(See post above).

·
Registered
240 Posts
Moses said:
How much did the LoJack cost you?
I think it was around $375 installed.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I just park in the garage my two big ass dogs call home. Safe and sound.

Only heard of 2 being lifted so far. Both from car dealers lots with those window key boxes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Short of having a key, I belive the only way to steal one is to tow it. Our keys have a chip in them that is required to start the car.

G

·
Yo fo shizzles, if sum spo' be thugg come risin' up on my hooptie, yo "B" i'z gunna break out the 9mm with a horizontal grip and bust sum caps in a **ggah, werd. I'm ti'ard ah dis shizznit yo. Da man aint gunna protect shiat up in this 'hood so'z i'z gotsta hold it down fo real.

Hollah...

:sterb:

·
Registered
708 Posts
R3dF1r3 said:
Yo fo shizzles, if sum spo' be thugg come risin' up on my hooptie, yo "B" i'z gunna break out the 9mm with a horizontal grip and bust sum caps in a **ggah, werd. I'm ti'ard ah dis shizznit yo. Da man aint gunna protect shiat up in this 'hood so'z i'z gotsta hold it down fo real.

Hollah...

:sterb:
nig dat'ssome sorry ass ebonix. Gotta step up da the translator boy! don't make me shank ya!
http://www.joel.net/EBONICS/translator.asp

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm not too worried... when I bought my car, I also got that Lo-Jack thing, only it wasn't Lo-Jack, and it's supposedly hooked to a GPS system where the police can track the car turn for turn. How many of you guys opted for that?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Heard on a radio program that there were two scams going on these days. Neither are specific to Mustangs, but to newer cars in general. Both pertain to the VIN number being visible through the windshield. Apparently, one class of scum take your VIN to a dealer where they have an accomplice working there, and get a new key made. Obviously, they could then come back and steal your car regardless of whether you have an alarm or not. The other class of scum use your VIN to cop a clean title to a similar car which was already stolen. I can't say how successful anyone has been in perpetrating these scams, but just to be safe I cut a piece of cardboard and slipped it into the space between the windshield and the dash, thus hiding the VIN from the outside. If anyone needs to see it, all I have to do is take it out. If you want to do this, be careful. If you make something too short, it will become stuck down there. I almost had this happen, but was able to get the too short piece out before cutting a longer one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Regarding the VIN scams.....Urban Legend!! If you cover your VIN and your car should get stolen.....the police looking for it won't be able to verify if it IS stolen because they won't be able to see the VIN. Just a thought.

·
Registered
172 Posts
918chef said:
Regarding the VIN scams.....Urban Legend!! If you cover your VIN and your car should get stolen.....the police looking for it won't be able to verify if it IS stolen because they won't be able to see the VIN. Just a thought.
Sadly theres probably a bit of urban legend in this too. PD (at least the ones out here) seems to work using license plates and their computers as a first line of checking vehicles. To see the VIN number they'd have to get out of their vehicle and check the vehicle up close. Unless they already feel the car is suspect (or they want to check out a sweet ride) its not likely that they're gonna take the time to do this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
rainman said:
Heard on a radio program that there were two scams going on these days. Neither are specific to Mustangs, but to newer cars in general. Both pertain to the VIN number being visible through the windshield. Apparently, one class of scum take your VIN to a dealer where they have an accomplice working there, and get a new key made. Obviously, they could then come back and steal your car regardless of whether you have an alarm or not. The other class of scum use your VIN to cop a clean title to a similar car which was already stolen. I can't say how successful anyone has been in perpetrating these scams, but just to be safe I cut a piece of cardboard and slipped it into the space between the windshield and the dash, thus hiding the VIN from the outside. If anyone needs to see it, all I have to do is take it out. If you want to do this, be careful. If you make something too short, it will become stuck down there. I almost had this happen, but was able to get the too short piece out before cutting a longer one.
even if they get a key made doesnt it have to be programmed into the computer?

·
Registered
82 Posts
If this is indeed an urban legend, I apolgize, since I'm not one to promote such things. I'm no genius, but one thing I do know is not to believe everything you read on the Internet. However, this little ditty came from a nationally syndicated and well respected radio talk show. Could be they were duped too? At any rate, I appreciate the input.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts