Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does have any suggestions on achieving 250 Hp out of my stock 302? Preferably cheap modifications? Thanks all

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Does have any suggestions on achieving 250 Hp out of my stock 302? Preferably cheap modifications? Thanks all
There are so many different directions to go just on you question. There are all kind of bolt on's out there. For starters thinking underdrive pulleys, headers, and good air intake but as I said there are many ways to go. What are you looking for a quick street car, drag car, road course car? Is the motor carbed or fuel injected?

O'yea, There is no such thing as "cheap modifications"

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I'm just looking for a quick street car. It's carbed, What would you consider the most practical for a daily driver?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Yeah I'm just looking for a quick street car. It's carbed, What would you consider the most practical for a daily driver?

Cam, intake, and good exaust.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot man, I appreciate the help:)

·
Registered
289 Posts
alittle 50 shot of nitrous might help!!!:bigthumbsup a good set of gt40 heads would help your budget build aswell!

R

·
0 Posts
it won't give actually horsepower but weight reduction is almost a free way for better performace.....

try a few these .....
remember for every 100 lbs removed = 1/10 off your ET

Front sway bar: 21 lbs (racing only)
Front bumper: 24 lbs
Move battery to the trunk: 0 but moving a 50 lb box to the trunk improves traction
Replace steel hood with fiberglass hood: 15 lbs
Remove trunk/hatch carpet and sound deadener: 15 lbs
Remove tailpipes and install turn downs: 20 lbs
Remove rear seats and associated parts: 47 pounds
Remove front seats and replace with lightweight racing seats: 24 lbs
Replace steering rack with 1981 or older manual rack and remove power steering pump: 16 lbs
Remove rear sway bar: 14 lbs (racing only)
Replace front wheels & tires with lightweight skinnies: 32 lbs
Remove heater, stereo, speakers, under carpet padding, center console, misc. interior items: 63 lbs
Replace rear wheels & tires with lightweight wheels and slicks: 20 lbs
Remove spare tire & jack: 42 lbs
Remove exhaust from header collector back: 51 lbs (racing only)
Remove window mechanisms and side impact bracing within doors: 36 lbs
Replace iron heads with aluminum: 40 lbs
Replace radiator with aluminum: 15 lbs

·
Registered
833 Posts
Did you want 250 fly wheel hp or rear wheel hp?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you want 250 fly wheel hp or rear wheel hp?

Hey thanks for all the help guys! The gt40 heads sound good as well as a bit of lightening the car. I want 250 hp at the wheels:)

·
Registered
833 Posts
The GT40 heads an Explorer intake and a mild cam would get you comfortably past your mark and if you find your parts at the right places that would be a pretty affordable way to go to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
if your looking for real cheap Hp and you dont want to spend alot i say take your heads off and get 2 porting bits and some sand rolls and work over the short side and the radious port match them and work the intake ports on the intake as well dont forget to grind the header a little and you can also bore out your carb and you can also put in a thinner head gasket to get alittle more squish

thats what i would do depending on the work you do u can get a extra 30 to 50 out of it

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The GT40 heads an Explorer intake and a mild cam would get you comfortably past your mark and if you find your parts at the right places that would be a pretty affordable way to go to.
Cool man, how much do you think that would run me? Minus labor, I'll do all that myself

·
Registered
833 Posts
Cool man, how much do you think that would run me? Minus labor, I'll do all that myself
Here is a estimated price break down for you.

GT40 heads $200-$300 depending on your luck in finding em
Explorer intake $150 you can get that at a wrecking yard
e303 cam or Reg recommended a Steeda cam that had better specs for about the same cost $180
Then you will need new gaskets and head bolts ect. If you have good luck in finding your parts you might come out for less than a grand.
PS. That combo I think would put you around 260-270 rwhp
PSS. Everyone feel free to correct me on add anything I may have missed.

R

·
0 Posts

e303 cam or Reg recommended a Steeda cam that had better specs for about the same cost $180
Then you will need new gaskets and head bolts ect. If you have good luck in finding your parts you might come out for less than a grand.
you actually have done well .....

for a non-pushrod guy......:D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Thanks a lot man! I appreciate it

·
Registered
833 Posts
No problem man let us know what you end up doing.:bigthumbsup

also I'm sure you know this but I would do a leak down compression test first. Good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.