Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(all pics are click able thumbnails - to enlarge)

Hey fellas,

So I'm adding the GT/CS front valence to my stock GT Bumper.

I want to retain my LED DRL lights however...

These lights in the lower valence:

So the issue though is that the CS Valance, has a hole where the fog lights should be. The DRL's fit in the upper corner of this section of the valence and it covers HALF the hole and leaves the other half exposed.

I dont like this. Quick illustration, the green area is my concern.

Here is the section of the GT/CS valance in question, it is removable with some basic tabs that connect them to the rest of the valance.

To make matters more difficult, the 'empty circle' is RAISED from the over all level of the area.

At first I was thinking of just using black gutter guard cut to size, to make a small grille that would keep you from seeing the hole. But now that I see it raised, I'm afraid that if i sand it down it would effect the top and bottom

So ultimately I need suggestions guys... any ideas??

For now I'm thinking dremel it down flat, cut this same area off of my standard GT lip, (its kinda slatted), then cut it to fit whatever space is open after mounting the light, and figuring out a way to get it to stay there, Zip tie/screw/double sided 3m trim tape... something.

If not cut out the piece from the standard GT lip, then perhaps that gutter guard mesh that I was thinking of painted black? or even a Rubbermaid plastic tote if i can find one in black, to cut and use its plastic? Just random ideas haven't narrowed it down yet.

Thoughts???

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
What if you mocked the holes up as brake cooling ducts?

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you are handy with sheetmetal it'd be easy to cout out some aluminum covers, paint them black and use those to cover the hole. I love those leds where'd you get them?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What if you mocked the holes up as brake cooling ducts?
The holes are meant to be brake cooling ducts if not fog light holes, but all the brake duct kits seem to be over $200 and since i'mnot tracking my car anytime soon lol I'm not really excited about spending $200 on that.

Maybe someday.

Get different DRL's and either put foglights in the holes or use them as brake cooling duct hookups.
No other DRL's are made for the mustang in this location as far as I know. Yea I could get rid of em' altogether and add the standard CS fog lights with some HID bulbs or something but thats common, not unique at all and would defeat the purpose.

Plus I love how these look.

If you are handy with sheetmetal it'd be easy to cout out some aluminum covers, paint them black and use those to cover the hole. I love those leds where'd you get them?
Yea I'm not too handy with metal but I'm pretty sure i could cut some sheet metal to figure out a way to get it to work, just a cover.

I was trying to do it with some kind of easier to work with material... plastic of some sort but I'll figure it out.

Just google Mustang 2010 DRL and you'll find several sites with em'.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Check with your dealer parts department. When I was looking into the CS valance and Boss splitter, I went to the dealer. There is a plug that goes in those holes when not used for brake ducts or fog lights.

Got my stuff from American Muscle....about 1/2 the price that the dealer wanted. I left the holes open...look like brake ducts but they aren't. Painted the front of the washer solution bottle black so it wouldn't show through.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Lower Valance Holes

How about this idea. Leave the holes just as they are cut a piece of black plastic the kind that comes with speaker install kits to fit over the back side of the hole. You could automotive goop them in place by just placing a small ring of goop on the back side of the opening and taping them in place until it drys. Also you can always remove the backing pieces anytime and remove the excessive goop. basically it will look like the 2012 Boss 302 black outs for the fog lights. This way you do not damage the lower valance.

·
Registered
121 Posts
You could also get some expanded metal, looks like small X's
cut a little larger, paint black and goop or silicone in place
will look like a cooling duct without the need for a hose hook up.
Mike

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Here are the part numbers for the blank covers without the holes.

CR3Z-17E811-AA
CR3Z-17E810-AA

They snap right in. Takes about a minute to install both.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are the part numbers for the blank covers without the holes.

CR3Z-17E811-AA
CR3Z-17E810-AA

They snap right in. Takes about a minute to install both.
so far I think this is the safest bet... thanks for those part numbers!!!

Thanks for everyone else's suggestions too... I think i'm just gong to leave it as is, with the blanks and if i REALLY dont like it i'll figure out a gutter gaurd solution or something...

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just looked em' up...$70 a piece??? thats ridiculous...

back to square one. lol I'm not paying $140 for some hole covers. At least not unless its a last resort.

·
Registered
775 Posts
they are kinda $$$ but they look really good. i got tired of those empty holes looking bk at me.

Attachments

·
Registered
775 Posts
and... they really do just snap right in. i thought about all kinds of other fixes - i cant run the fogs because of SC piping - and this was the cleanest look and simplest fix.

·
Registered
786 Posts
you could just get some flexible piping from autozone or pep boys or home depot or really anywhere, and then attach it to the back and turn it so it has a bend in it and you can't see where it's going.

It would look like it's a brake duct but you could just turn them so it blows air up onto the radiator area to help with cooling or any area you might want extra air flow or to help direct air flow.

you don't have to use an actual brake duct kit that way.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well guys... I worked on it yesterday, and it turns out that using that little insert isn't really possible if the LED DRLs were gonna fit.

If anyone wants to know if that opening is the same size on the CS/GT Lip as it is on the standard GT lip (a question I asked before and was told it was) - it infact is NOT.

Its not A MAJOR difference, but its not the same size.

So I manned up, and hacked away and my brand new Lip.

The results, I'm not in love with, but I dont hate it either.

It looks fairly decent.

I hacked up my original GT Lip and used it for plastic... which I shaped with a dremel until it fit to cover up the 'openings' that the LED DRLs didn't cover.

I'm no expert, no professional, and it did NOT come out perfect.

However it looks pretty decent to me, can't tell unless you're staring at it.

I plan on getting all the black plastic on the car painted body color very soon, and when I do I will have the body shop build me a proper piece and fill in some of the gaps that I made by cutting too much in certain spots.

Until that happens, I'm content/satisfied with my work lol.

The other major addition this weekend was the installation of the standard V6 grille with v6 Surround. (both purchased used on the forum) and an American Muscle Billet Insert. Dunno bout you guys but I think it looks absolutely gorgeous... can't stop staring at it...

Not amazing shots, didn't get a chance to 'process' them... but figured I'd share for anyone interested in seeing how it came out.

Better shots to follow sometime soon...

Also put on the GT500/CS Rear lower Valance that afternoon with the GT500 splash guards:

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
^ Looks pretty badass. Very unique.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Just looked em' up...$70 a piece??? thats ridiculous...

back to square one. lol I'm not paying $140 for some hole covers. At least not unless its a last resort.
Check with your dealer. I got mine for $35.00 a piece.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
they are kinda $$$ but they look really good. i got tired of those empty holes looking bk at me.

I gotta say... That is clean. Exactly why I installed the OEM blanks. OP, you get them for less than $70 a piece. Look around.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts