Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read on another site that the 2008GT Mustang drive shafts.(I assume 2005+ mustangs.) could come apart at speeds of 125mph. Is this true? On one occasion I had my car up to 120mph I did not know I was in danger of destroying my car and myself by doing this. Seems unrealistic since the tires are rated for speed of greater than 138mph. Any truth in this bunk?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I doubt it..................

·
Registered
41,829 Posts
I would not believe that. I am sure Ford know that a few of us will be going faster than 125 mph.

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
The speed is governed around 150ish. Never heard of that. Especially because there are quite a few people here who take it to the track. If it were true, there would be a recall.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is the speed limiter set for in a stock 2008 GT?

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
What is the speed limiter set for in a stock 2008 GT?
I believe it is around 152 give or take a few mph.
HotShot mentioned 127 for the GT, but that is not correct.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've never heard of such an issue, and have certainly not experienced any problems with my driveshaft. I've hit the speed limiter numerous times!!

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
I believe it is around 152 give or take a few mph.
HotShot mentioned 127 for the GT, but that is not correct.
I think it's actually set at 143. And for what it's worth I would never run that fast without a driveshaft safety loop anyway. Nothing worse than a steel enema :(

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think it's actually set at 143. And for what it's worth I would never run that fast without a driveshaft safety loop anyway. Nothing worse than a steel enema :(
Ouch! I know your a law abiding citizen a would never drive faster than the posted speed limit BUT with your highly mod. Mustang what speeds have you hit? Did you get a chance to check out the March 14 new tunner post?

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Ouch! I know your a law abiding citizen a would never drive faster than the posted speed limit BUT with your highly mod. Mustang what speeds have you hit? Did you get a chance to check out the March 14 new tunner post?
I've never gone faster than 112 and that was on the track. :) I did see the other thread.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Ford governs all the modern Mustang GTs at 146mph according to my friend who works in the service dept. for a dealership.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Ok... I knew I was close. :)
From what I understand the governors on most cars are set according(or close to) to mph tire rating of the stock equipped tires I believe.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I read on another site that the 2008GT Mustang drive shafts.(I assume 2005+ mustangs.) could come apart at speeds of 125mph. Is this true? On one occasion I had my car up to 120mph I did not know I was in danger of destroying my car and myself by doing this. Seems unrealistic since the tires are rated for speed of greater than 138mph. Any truth in this bunk?

Um, No...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Um, No...

The scary part about that picture is that someone who was going 140+mph took the time and concentration to take a picture. Oy.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yes I did...Although I was not looking at my cell phone. I just lined it up while my eyes were planted on the road. And by the way, I was not going over the speed limit. :D

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yes I did...Although I was not looking at my cell phone. I just lined it up while my eyes were planted on the road. And by the way, I was not going over the speed limit. :D
Heh. The joys of the autobahn. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
812 Posts
well i know 4 sure they go to 130 and still have more , i put it there a week ago and ran outa road so had to shut it down but never killed and mine is still in good shape .......by the way this was on a test track not on hwy 90 headed to new orleans wink wink lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.