Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crossed the 1500 mile threshold and finally did a full-bore standing start. I've watched perf test videos of the GT and it didn't appear to have any troubles staying straight. The couple of times now that I've really gotten on it, the car gets really floaty/squirelly and starts moving around in the lane; especially during shifts.

Is this part of the 'charm' or do I need to have my shocks and alignment looked at?

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
I've had a nice fishtail going from 1st to 2nd, but the advancetrack usually kicks in before it gets squirely. Are you talking about after your turn the electronic nags off?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All nags on. Car jumps around during shifts requiring a lot of steering input to keep the car pointed straight in the lane. This is from standing start or getting into it from 20-30mph too. Come to think of it, seems to float around in it's lane a lot at speed too.

I somewhat suspect I've been spoiled by hi-perf cars that are just point and shoot. Or at least have stiffer suspensions.

I just wanted to find out if this is pretty much normal or if I have an issue that needs attending to.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
hard radial tires and a lot of torque? Yeah, it will be squirrely, esp if you have the 3.73s

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
All nags on. Car jumps around during shifts requiring a lot of steering input to keep the car pointed straight in the lane. This is from standing start or getting into it from 20-30mph too. Come to think of it, seems to float around in it's lane a lot at speed too.

I somewhat suspect I've been spoiled by hi-perf cars that are just point and shoot. Or at least have stiffer suspensions.

I just wanted to find out if this is pretty much normal or if I have an issue that needs attending to.
WOW! I'd have to say not normal in comparison to my car. If what you describe is every day driving I would have it looked at. If it's only under WOT maybe you're not far off?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Not normal, mine does it too but I know my shocks or something with the suspension is bad. I have to bring it in soon.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Your car might be a little bit more powerful than most as all cars that come off the production line are not equal. Test cars are all hand selected off the line and optimised before they are sent to media runs. Have it looked at, if everything checks okay call yourself lucky. Your car has more power/tq than the computer can handle.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Mine launches straight, but does get very floaty with even light steering input at higher speeds while at WOT(probably in the 80MPH+ range). Although this doesn't happen very often due various laws.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Your car might be a little bit more powerful than most as all cars that come off the production line are not equal. Test cars are all hand selected off the line and optimised before they are sent to media runs. Have it looked at, if everything checks okay call yourself lucky. Your car has more power/tq than the computer can handle.

The computer can handle more power and torque than the car makes from the factory, I know this for a fact!:nogrinner I would get an alignment check, I had mine checked at around 6k miles. I did not hit any potholes, but slightly curbed the right rear tire and wanted to make sure nothing was bent back there. It was recommended to me to have the alignment checked in the front as well while it was there. Sure enough, without my knowledge and no symptoms, the front was out. My guess is with EPAS it is hard to tell if your alignment is out. I also think that the Brembo package cars like to lift the front up a lot on accel, and dive hard during braking. I would assume ford has went with soft(er) springs in the front to assist in weight transfer during launching to improve rear tire traction, it also seems to give the car a relatively smooth ride.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Mine used to. Fixed that....

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I don't have the issue described. Takes off straight and stays in line. Very little if any steering input needed. After take off it does loose traction (burns out) after going into 2nd.

Attachments

·
Registered
459 Posts
With nanny's on? No issues and I'm not making stock power. Sport mode and I need to make some moderate steering adjustments and feather first. All nanny's off and I have to feather the throttle until third gear to keep traction.

Good problems to have!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have had the steering problem under hard starts also.
feels realy light in the front end and can get a little squirly.
The first time it reminded me of when I had my bike and would stroke it throught gears at WOT.My bike pulled really hard but the front end would really be light.
Actually put a smile on face and made me realize how much power this little schitbox is putting out (car).:worship
I'm thinking the car is hooking up properly and transfering the weight to the rear as it should.
Now i will check to see how it hooks up in different modes.
Someone mentioned about some cars having more HP. than others?

·
Registered
161 Posts

That is the difference in suspension from the coupe to the vert. The vert is much more "Floaty". A set of Koni srt's can make a huge difference in that regard.

·
Registered
734 Posts
The 'vert part is what explains it. They are much squishier than coupes - always have been, always will be.

My '12 coupe stays rock steady with all the nannies off. Of course, it bounces a bit and there's a lot more spinning than going forward if I don't feather the throttle...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The 'vert part is what explains it. They are much squishier than coupes - always have been, always will be.

My '12 coupe stays rock steady with all the nannies off. Of course, it bounces a bit and there's a lot more spinning than going forward if I don't feather the throttle...
Reading someone's review between the two this morning, seems like that's the deal.

Sorry guys, used to german cars where they keep the suspension exactly the same between coupe and convertible models (regardless of chassis stiffness) ... didn't cross my mind that Ford would be softening up the vert suspension. Makes perfect sense though; totally different demographic. And most of the time I prefer that softer ride since I am just cruising around.

Might accelerate my plans for a suspension upgrade, and some new wheels .. and some new ...

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Reading someone's review between the two this morning, seems like that's the deal.

Sorry guys, used to german cars where they keep the suspension exactly the same between coupe and convertible models (regardless of chassis stiffness) ... didn't cross my mind that Ford would be softening up the vert suspension. Makes perfect sense though; totally different demographic. And most of the time I prefer that softer ride since I am just cruising around.

Might accelerate my plans for a suspension upgrade, and some new wheels .. and some new ...

Hahaha, yeah, I know all about that "... and some new ..." :gringreen

I was going to suggest springs, control arms, and a panhard bar. Your choices are almost unlimited there, but here is the suspension we carry at UPR Products. Lifetime guarantee. :bigthumbsup

2005-2011 Ford Mustang GT V6 UPR Pro Series Kit Lowering Springs by Eibach at UPR Products - Lifetime Warranty!
2011 Ford Mustang GT V6 Chrome Moly Street Upper & Lower Control Arm Package - UPR Products
2005-2011 Ford Mustang Pro Street Double Adjustable Pan Hard Bar - UPR Products

·
Registered
166 Posts
just saw that the ops car was a vert as well.
Thanks for the input and info....that explains everything about the suspension..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.