Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anybody have any problems installing a battery re-location kit ?

2K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  FREAKNAZTY 
#1 ·
I've ordered a battery re-location kit from Summit and read the pdf that's on their website. Installation looks pretty simple but I'm wondering if anybody has run into any issues with relocating their battery to the trunk area ?

#2 ·
I do not think it would be harder than installing Long tube headers.LOL. Did you get the kit with the vent for the battery fumes.

#3 ·
lol ive been wanting to do this too but haven't seen any write-ups or ggrrrrrrr this is supposed to be an easy mod kinda thing the only other thing is the whole kill switch hanging out the back all the time i know there would be some dip$hit pass by and turn it off

#4 ·
Just hide it under , or do not install it.

#6 ·
No problems at all actually which is unusual. I mounted it on the RH side and I didn’t even have issues with finding clearance for the through holes. It was as easy as drilling two holes, running some nuts and bolts then putting everything together. I ran the cables up under the rear seats and the along the RH side of the passenger seat and then up the firewall and out a “port” that was already there that took me into the RH fenderwell. Then there was another little passage that leads into the engine compartment.

I ran a positive and a negative cable up to where the OEM cables mounted. I was told all you need to do is run the negative cable to ground in the trunk and the positive to the motor but I have seen problems in the past with ECU’s and RF noise in wiring harnesses. Some things will do it, some things wont; I didn’t want to screw with it. RF problems manifest themselves as fuel or spark issues and are wildly intermittent. Not fun to diagnose. I also ran a breaker in the positive cable and bolted it to the side of the battery box. It’s nice to have because you don’t have to worry about a short to ground and if you want the car to sit dormant for a while you can just pop the trunk and trip the breaker and it will disconnect the battery.

Have fun

#8 ·
Got these splitters at the stereo shop. They are a bit "bling" for my tastes but they sit under my heat exchanger fluid reservior so you can't see them.

Attachments

#11 ·
I didn’t think of it either. I was going to mill some out and then trim them out with carbon fiber and my buddy with all the machine told says “You know you can buy those right?”

My idea would have looked cooler but I’m kinda lazy.:D

#18 ·
Is this mod really worth doing it?:scratchchin

#22 ·
My relocation kit from Summit cost like $75 vs. the $200 plus Steeda wants for theirs, so I figured it was worthwhile since I really had no other space available for additional mods/moving existing ones around. Also, I wanted to get more of the weight out of the front end to improve the weight distribution without having to alter the compression/spring heights on my suspension to achieve that (i.e., gain more neutral steering before resorting to "tricking" the suspension to achieve that).

#26 ·
lol well ive come to the conclusion i'll probably always granny shift and drive like crap so i went the turbo route ima get into the 12's one way or the other lmao

p.s. i still havent figured out how to adjust my stock shocks yet still working on that lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.