Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
I have yet to be able to understand why FRPP offers this piece or why they describe it like they do.

The 2011+ V6 cars already have an x-pipe on them for one thing so I can't see this one making any real difference. And the other thing is that it says it replaces the factory "H" pipe and that is incorrect since that factory part is an "X" pipe. It is a little different configuration but is still an x-pipe.

Anyway, my opinion is that it is a waste of money and time to put one of these on your car.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have yet to be able to understand why FRPP offers this piece or why they describe it like they do....

Anyway, my opinion is that it is a waste of money and time to put one of these on your car.
+1... I suppose there's the possibility that it could give you a "slightly" different tone, but even that's a stretch. Not to mention either you're going to have to hack up your exhaust system, or pay someone else to.

I consider it in the same category as the throttle body spacer. Just an expensive (and in this case bulky) paperweight.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Is there a difference with the size of the pipe? I now stock is 2.25", and my understanding of most aftermarket X pipes is that they are 2.5", so the FRPP part could be larger as well.

If I understand this correctly, going to 2.5" isn't going to give you that much of a hp boost unless you also upgrade to LongTube headers of equal or larger size as the initial rescriction will limit gains farther down. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Is there a difference with the size of the pipe? I now stock is 2.25", and my understanding of most aftermarket X pipes is that they are 2.5", so the FRPP part could be larger as well.

If I understand this correctly, going to 2.5" isn't going to give you that much of a hp boost unless you also upgrade to LongTube headers of equal or larger size as the initial rescriction will limit gains farther down. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
The FRPP x-pipe is the same 2.25" diameter as the stock pipe.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I have the Borla pipe which is pretty much identical. For me all I noticed was a low burble coming off of the throttle decelerating at higher rpms. It actually sounds pretty good. I can't say I noticed any type of power gains.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have yet to be able to understand why FRPP offers this piece or why they describe it like they do.

The 2011+ V6 cars already have an x-pipe on them for one thing so I can't see this one making any real difference. And the other thing is that it says it replaces the factory "H" pipe and that is incorrect since that factory part is an "X" pipe. It is a little different configuration but is still an x-pipe.

LTNGDRVR when purchasing LT headers is it necessary to also purchase the X-pipe? Will they fit with the stock x-pipe? I'm just asking because I never installed headers before. -thanks

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
LTNGDRVR when purchasing LT headers is it necessary to also purchase the X-pipe? Will they fit with the stock x-pipe? I'm just asking because I never installed headers before. -thanks
Not if you buy the Borla ones. If you get the BBK ones then you need the x-pipe.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Not if you buy the Borla ones. If you get the BBK ones then you need the x-pipe.
Borla???

Didn't know they were making headers for the V6.

I would imagine that you could get the stock pipes to fit up to the BBK headers but why would you want to use the small stock pipes with the big BBK headers?

In my opinion there is no point in doing the headers unless you do the whole exhaust all the way out the back. Putting headers on and then choking them down with the stock exhaust just defeats the purpose.

·
Registered
405 Posts
when did borla come out with headers for the V6?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
when did borla come out with headers for the V6?
They've had the prototype work done since January but still don't show them on the website. A guy on moddedmustangs was able to call Borla and place a direct order. I am still kicking myself because I passed up a chance to buy the Prototype for $350 shipped from LTdan a couple months ago.

Headers

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got off the phone with AmericanMuscle.com and they confirmed the stock pipe is an H PIPE. i REPEAT THE STOCK PIPE ON THE 2011 MUSTANG V6 IS AN H PIPE. NOW WHOS GETTING THE X PIPE? LOL

·
Registered
616 Posts
Borla???

Didn't know they were making headers for the V6.

I would imagine that you could get the stock pipes to fit up to the BBK headers but why would you want to use the small stock pipes with the big BBK headers?

In my opinion there is no point in doing the headers unless you do the whole exhaust all the way out the back. Putting headers on and then choking them down with the stock exhaust just defeats the purpose.
A couple of things to think about:
1.) Gases flow faster when they are hotter. Ceramic coated headers keep the hot gases in the pipe. The further they travel down the pipe, the more heat they lose as they go, causing them to move slower. This is why ricers who put huge 3.5" diameter pipes on small displacement N/A civics actually lose power. The gases simply aren't flowing fast enough to escape the pipe.

2.) Well designed headers make a huge difference because each of the pipes basically use Bernoulli's principal and each primary to assist pulling gases from complimenting cylinders in a scavenging type effect. Also as you drop the pipes down to a smaller diameter the further back it goes, this inherently increases the velocity of the gases and drops the pressure. (think of this as a carburetor of sorts). At our modest power levels the stock cat-back exhaust diameter is probably about right to keep the exhausts flowing quickly.

3.) The factory cat-back isn't "restrictive" by any means and is fairly balanced to our power levels, otherwise we would be seeing actual dyno gains from all of you guys switching out your cat-back exhaust, and that simply isn't happening at all. So it's not "choking the system" like Ltngdrvr is claiming. The cat-backs are generally for sound preference only, but there are a lot of OEM bends that just aren't that "smooth" that after-market systems can clean up a bit. That's about the only benefit unless you go forced induction.

4.) The headers (and the catalytic converters) are the current restrictions in the stock exhaust system, not the cat-back. That is why those who have the headers are seeing such substantial gains (with a complimenting tune of course) compared to those who have only installed a cat-back or axle-back exhaust. Those gains only get better when you are making more power or go the supercharger route. Leaving the stock cat-back exhaust will be just fine with headers. I seriously doubt there will be a noticeable difference on the dyno between a car with headers/stock cat-back exhaust and another one with headers/aftermarket cat-back exhaust.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I just got off the phone with AmericanMuscle.com and they confirmed the stock pipe is an H PIPE. i REPEAT THE STOCK PIPE ON THE 2011 MUSTANG V6 IS AN H PIPE. NOW WHOS GETTING THE X PIPE? LOL
LMAO, that's funny! Especailly after......

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
This is really why you can't listen to anything he says. He does stuff like this in damn near every topic and calls me an ******* for pointing it out.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Having looked at the X pipe on my car first hand, I can say, unless they changed the English alphabet around, it is indeed an X pipe and not an H pipe.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
They're wrong.

Maybe they are thinking about the GT, it has an H-pipe but the 2011+ V6 comes with an x-pipe.

Have you crawled under your car to look at it???

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
The underside of a 2011. Not sure if its V6 or GT. Pretty sure thats an H-pipe there.
I know Ford isnt perfect, but why would they sell an X-pipe option if it came standard?
Not finger pointing either. Just asking a question.

*Edit*

Judging by the driveshaft, it looks to be a GT.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
That is a GT, GT's have H-pipes and those large resonators.

All you have to do is crawl under the car and look.

·
Registered
405 Posts
They've had the prototype work done since January but still don't show them on the website. A guy on moddedmustangs was able to call Borla and place a direct order. I am still kicking myself because I passed up a chance to buy the Prototype for $350 shipped from LTdan a couple months ago.

Headers
$350 for prototype headers! damn man i would of pulled the trigger on that.

I hope someone eventually puts a vid out there or some pics of the prototype, would be nice to compare their ceramic LT headers with the BBK.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts