Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The price seems reasonable but I don't want stiff, dragrace quality stuff. I want a firm ride, not too harsh. Need mid-eye mounts.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a pair of springs and the complete mounting kit for $224. Shipping is extra and depends on where you live. In the northeast the shipping is $25. It is a mid-eye mount, 1" drop. Lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I would advise against the 5 leafs if you don't want a harsh ride. I put in 5 leaf mid eyes last year as I autocross my fastback and I like the stiffness. I am usually the only person in the car so i don't care. The car has been built to perform on the track. Go with a 4 leaf for a smoother ride

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've heard others recommend sticking with the 4 leaf, saying the 5 leaf is over the top stiff. Good for the track but not so good under normal conditions.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I installed 4.5 leaf mideyes and they were perfect for me, not a harsh ride but firm. The half leaf faces forward to help with wheel hop. I also used polyurethane F/R bushings well lubed and never had a squeek. The shocks you choose can also have a big effect on harsh ride too.
Jon

·
Registered
920 Posts
I recommend that you use Eaton's standard height 4 leaf 'Improved Performance' springs. Eaton is a good brand and they claim they make them off the original Ford Specs.

Some of these cheaper springs I would not trust to hold up for very long.

Here is a CJ Pony link. You can click the Coupe Leaf Spring Chart.

LEAF SPRING ORIGINAL DESIGN 1964-1973 | CJ Pony Parts

Eaton's number for the Improved Performance Springs is LS1025. I just installed a set on my car. I think the stock spring is rated at 85 lbs and the Improved Performance springs are rated at 110 lbs. That is how much weight it takes to deflect them an inch. Both sets sit at the same height unloaded.
I actually had a conversation with Eaton before I chose them.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Yupp CJ's has both 4 and 5 leaf spring sets, regular eye and mideye and reverse eye for around $220ish and free shipping

OEM 4 leaf springs should be fine for regular driving, 5 leaf springs for a more stiff ride for performance applications

1 - 8 of 8 Posts