Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering how much there is of a following with Grand-Am here. I started watching 3 races ago (Watkins Glen, Road America and the almighty Laguna Seca), and am still trying to learn the basics. I'm going to the Millville NJ race this weekend :laughlitt for the Continental class.

In GS they race Boss302Rs, as well as a couple of S197GTs as well :bigthumbsup

S

·
0 Posts
Before my wife took the remote, 2 camaro's were in the lead with a boss 302r in 3rd with a BMW creeping up at Laguna Seca. Lotta folks in the dirt on that race.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've always preferred road racing to ovals & 1/4 mile. Alas, no speed channel here. :(
I was reading in the Grand-Am forums that some ESPN channels have it online, ESPN2 if I'm not mistaken. SO much more entertaining then NASCAR :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yep, So much like the Trans Am series from the 60s and 70s. Mustang's and Camaro's and other real cars trading paint. Much more exciting than the big oval with cars exactly the same racing for hours...but it is good to nap to :winks

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Road Racing is becoming more and more popular and one of the reasons NASCAR is hoping to add more Road Racing tracks to the Cup Series next year. Most of the NASCAR drivers like the Road Racing and welcome it. Its nice to see the feud back on between the Mustangs and Camaro's again. I think if the Roush and Multimatic Teams had'nt had bad luck at Laguna, the Boss 302R's would have given the camaro's a better run. I plan on being at Mid Ohio in Sept for the final Continental Tire race.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The races last week end were great right up until the two Mustangs took each other out and the Camaro won.

Those BMW's were really running like scalled dogs!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its nice to see the feud back on between the Mustangs and Camaro's again. I think if the Roush and Multimatic Teams had'nt had bad luck at Laguna, the Boss 302R's would have given the camaro's a better run.
It was unfortunate, but at least Ford is #2 in points, above Chevy :smilie

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those BMW's were really running like scalled dogs!
That they were, and that is why BMW is #1 in points! We have 2 races left, it's going to be tough.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Mustangs were winning handily and pretty much leading the way along with the BMWs until the last couple of races. The Camaros were way back in the pack, usually because they weren't able to finish the races. Grand Am "equalizes" cars to keep the race competitive, so Camaros got bigger intakes and, I think, reduced weight, while the Mustangs got penalized in the opposite direction. Seems they may have gone too far helping the Camaros, but it is still great racing.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You may be right, that Stevenson's (sp?) Camaro won the last 2 races in GS, but it's hard to tell from last track because the Mustangs kept crashing. Hopefully Roush and Multimatic have better luck this weekend.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any idea why there are no Mustangs in the Rolex GT class? They have Camaros, RX8s and Corvettes, but no Mustangs.

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
Any idea why there are no Mustangs in the Rolex GT class? They have Camaros, RX8s and Corvettes, but no Mustangs.
Most of those cars are “Tube Chassis” cars and Ford doesn’t have a Mustang built without a production chassis and a lot of roll cage. The Rolex cars look like their street brothers, but when you get up close you quickly realize they share almost no parts.

If someone wanted to race a Mustang they would have to develop it from scratch which would cost a fortune. It’s much easier for a team to buy “developed” cars that they know work. GM and Mazda have a TON of money invested in their cars.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Most of those cars are “Tube Chassis” cars and Ford doesn’t have a Mustang built without a production chassis and a lot of roll cage. The Rolex cars look like their street brothers, but when you get up close you quickly realize they share almost no parts.

If someone wanted to race a Mustang they would have to develop it from scratch which would cost a fortune. It’s much easier for a team to buy “developed” cars that they know work. GM and Mazda have a TON of money invested in their cars.
Sqidd, is there anything you DON'T know? :worship Thanks

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I won't give anything away, since the race won't air until next weekend on Speed, but what a race! First time I have ever been to a road race, and despite the blistering heat I had a great time. Got to walk through the pits and see the cars and drivers up close. Can't wait until next year :kooky:

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
I won't give anything away, since the race won't air until next weekend on Speed, but what a race! First time I have ever been to a road race, and despite the blistering heat I had a great time. Got to walk through the pits and see the cars and drivers up close. Can't wait until next year :kooky:
I like the pits more than the races. When I go to the races I hang out in the pits, peek at the track, and then go home and watch the race on TV.:gringreen

1 - 18 of 18 Posts