Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me, or does the paint on these things chip far to easily? I've got chips behind all 4 wheels, and just today noticed a few nice ones on the hood. Unfortunately, I have no idea how the ones on the hood even got there, but they are obvious enough that they are bugging the hell out of me.

I'm just really disappointed that the car chips so easily, it's got 5300 miles on it and already it's peppered. I have a 2002 330i with 125k miles on it that has fewer chips in the paint. WTF.

Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
646 Posts
This is unfortunately a very common issue on all late model vehicles as of the last 5 or so years. Some say it is the water based paint, others say it is not. For whatever reason, it seems to be a common complaint on all late model cars.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
This is unfortunately a very common issue on all late model vehicles as of the last 5 or so years. Some say it is the water based paint, others say it is not. For whatever reason, it seems to be a common complaint on all late model cars.
It's definitely the water based paint. Solvent based paints were much more resistant to rock chips. What you can do to protect the new (fragile) water based paints is get 3M clear bra or at the very least put one or two coats of quality acrylic sealant on your paint. I do both and it helps big time.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Had a big stone hit my hood in 2 spots and crack my windshield. :mad:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Had the same problem with my 2010 v6. The hood was absolutely peppered with chips. I traded it in this weekend for an 06 GT with similar mileage, and the 5 years older car has a fraction as many. It's really frustrating that you would pay so much for a new car, but then through no fault of your own be unable to keep it looking as good as a car already years older.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Another thing that doesn't help a damn bit is large trucks throwing debris or kicking up rocks... they used to get pulled over for that but these days it seems like just about anything goes.

Since having a large rock bounced off the windshield of my '09 last fall I've been trying really hard (and it's NOT easy) to discipline myself not to get too close to trucks on the interstate unless I'm sure I can pass them pretty quickly.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't even have my car yet and am already obsessing over this problem. :nervous

I've been researching the 3M paint protection and it looks like it would be a good move, but finding a place to get it installed is proving to be a difficult task for me. :cursing:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
i will vouch for a couple coats of quality sealant (not wax). i had a metal object deflect off my car and not leave a mark.

the OP has not stated if he has treated his car with anything.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Since having a large rock bounced off the windshield of my '09 last fall I've been trying really hard (and it's NOT easy) to discipline myself not to get too close to trucks on the interstate unless I'm sure I can pass them pretty quickly.
I think you can be sure now!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Not only rock chips on the paint, but a few on the windshield as well. I saw one rock as it was on its way to my windshield, and I swear it had an evil grin and shouted CAMAROS RULE! just before it hit...
First chip in the paint was on the spoiler, caused by a stick falling out of a tree during a rainstorm. Yes, really. I had owned the car for not quite a week when it happened, still had the temp tags on it.
When the car gets repainted it will be with a good quality solvent based paint with several clearcoats over it.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
i will vouch for a couple coats of quality sealant (not wax). i had a metal object deflect off my car and not leave a mark.
Yep it's surprising the amount of protection a layer or two of acrylic sealant can provide. It's really important with these water based paints to get people prioritizing sealant over regular carnuba wax for their car detailing.

·
Registered
826 Posts
My hood is looking ok so far, and I don't spin the tires much, so the spots behind the tires look ok too, but the front bumper cover looks horrid at 14,500 miles. I drive about 80% highway, and it looks like the clear was knocked right off the paint on several hundred 2mm sized spots.

Additionally, my A/C condenser is fairly beat up on the lower portion that's exposed under the front bumper. Guess those virtual high-speed runs have almost done my bumper and condenser in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't know how much of a role the water based paint has in the chipping problems. I think it's more of a clear coat problem, after all that's the layer that's supposed to protect the paint, and it's not doing a very good job.

Has anyone thought about adding a couple more layers of a quality clear coat on top of the factory finish? I don't know how costly this would be, or if it's even feasible, but it may be a long term solution.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I just do the best I can with Dr. Colorchip and move on. Most of mine are on the bumper and I have a few on the hood as well. The chips used to bother me a lot but I'm getting used to the fact that they are inevitable. For the price of a clearbra I rather just invest in a new bumper every few years from newtakeoffs or similar. I drive a lot of highway and I try to stay back from traffic as much as possible. That being said, I was once hit by a rock when the nearest car was about a mile away on the highway. I still can't figure that one out.

·
Registered
826 Posts
My wifes 2009 Mazda CX-7 has a pretty flat nose like the Mustang too, and at 45,000 miles when we traded it in, it hardly had a mark on it. I too agree that this appears to be a paint/clear coat issue.

My front bumper cover at almost 15k miles looks like a 100k mile bumper cover compared to all my past vehicles.

I'm curious is the is more prominent on certain colors, dark, light, metallic, or all colors?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Arg, yet another thing to obsess about after reading these forums!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm relieved that I'm not the only one who's experiencing the chip problem, I thought it was just me!

Yep, I probably have a dozen chips/specs on my hood already and to me they are very noticeable but no one is going to see them from another car.

I meant to hit up my dealer for some touch up paint when I took the car in for its oil change, but it took longer than expected and I forgot to ask them for it. What's everyone doing to repair them?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I remember the Finance manager tried to schill a few protection plans when buying my car.
Does anyone know how much the clear coat protectant Ford offers is? How does it compare to the 3M aftermarket product?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Welcome to Arizona .. the land of raining rocks.

We had an 02 Camaro bougth new. At trade in time (for the 11 CS) the hood and front bumper looked like it had been target practice for #6 birdshot and the when driving in to the sun the windshield was sandblasted. The rest of the car looked almost new but the exposed areas were as bad as bad gets. This car lived on the freeway.

With the new cars we avoid the problem and here it is the freeways more than surface streets. So we drive a little further and take an extra 10 minutes going and coming to avoid it. So far damage has been minimal in comparison but still both cars have taken a few hits and mostly the windshield. The wife had to go on the freeway to see her parents twice recently and that is when she got the first paint chips. The Shelby has the 3M bra and that helps a lot but is not 100%. I remember the 1st hit bouncing off the hood just above the 3M leaving 2 nice nicks and then hitting the windsheld.

Not sure if I can blame the paint for the problems when it is impact with a rock that creates the issue. I am sure the water base paint is not as resistant and remember the good ol days but living here with all medians having rocks there is no defense at all. When I lived in the south I can't remember ever having this problem. Medians were grass and rocks were something in your aquarium.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.