Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I stated in the official thread, ever since the temps got above 80F my transmission has been behaving perfectly. Seriously, like night and day. Like, I may have to take back everything I said about the fluid being the problem and I hate to admit when I'm wrong. Honestly if Deysha fessed up and admitted that the Ford Spec Ops team came and changed my tranny out while I slept I would be inclined to believe her.

It's now every bit as smooth as my Civic Si was. I can still feel an occasional 'bump' of resistance in 2nd 3rd and 5th but no where near as pronounced and I haven't been locked out of any gear at all.
The whine in 1-2-3 persists but isn't as loud.

Is there anyone else in the southwest that has experienced what I have during the recent heat wave?

·
Registered
60 Posts
It has been 100~ here and the thing has been doing great. The only thing that makes me raise an eyebrow is every time i shift there is a quick howl when i clutch and put it in gear. There is whining coming from the transmission but this did not surface until after i installed the steeda triax and barton bracket. Those two items let a lot of transmission and road noise inside the cabin which i am fine with. I drove a modified SN95 for years and that car was way louder on the inside than this.

EDIT: I have QS not QDC, btw.

·
Registered
459 Posts
It'll be 98 or hotter today and my transmission will be super smooth on the way home. I have the QDC as well. If dips below 70 at any point, I will slowly start getting symptoms back.

·
Banned
3,124 Posts
It was 101 yesterday, officially 98 in Milwaukee. I felt like I was playing a video game. Gave 'er a mash and the shifting was incredible. I didn't have a whole lot of complaints beforehand but wowzers...good weather makes this car. Spend 45 minutes in rush hour, engine stayed cool. Clutch never felt stressed. There IS hope for this car, guys :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
10 Posts
Or maybe there is hope for China ; )

Since when did America become known for making great products and China for making garbage?

Is the Canadian motor ok, or should we blame that country for the knocks and tics?

Just some thoughts.

I'm glad Ford's response helped your cars. That is what customer service is for (or should be).

B

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have to say, and this is the opposite of what I've said before: There really may be something to the QDC fluid 'fix' for some people.

I think that perhaps this transmission needs to be run hot to work well, not just the fluid but the internals. Perhaps they need to be hot to be 'in-spec' and the QDC allows the MT82 run in a temp range that it's happy with.

I'm not saying there's not obvious defecincies in the linkage because I still get mild deflection when turning or when trying to shift while going over a section of bumpy road but as far as normal, day-to-day operation my car is behaving in a manor that I can live with, which hasn't been the case in 11,000 miles.

So knowing this, I wonder what, if any steps I should take? Would the QDC be too thin when it gets over 100 and I'm on track? Should I keep the QS and swap in QDC in the fall when symptoms will likey return? (I bought the car in November and it was already starting to drop into the 70s and that's when I noticed difficulties.)

What do you guys think?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Or maybe there is hope for China ; )

Since when did America become known for making great products and China for making garbage?

Is the Canadian motor ok, or should we blame that country for the knocks and tics?

Just some thoughts.

I'm glad Ford's response helped your cars. That is what customer service is for (or should be).

B
Let's keep the o/t comments in the other thread, or not make them at all.
This has nothing to do with anything Ford has done for my car. I am still running the original fluid.

·
Registered
203 Posts
With temps in the 80's and 90's the last week or so I must say my car shifts very well in fact it almost feels sloppy and I have a Barton set up in it. As well as the original fluid. Seems once this fluid gets to operating temp it makes a big diff. I would like to hear from folks that tried after market fluids in the high temps to compare. To see if normal operating temp is any different than cold like the QS fluid seems to be. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I still have my stock QS fluid. It was 107 degrees here yesterday, so I would rather have the thicker fluid than the thinner fluid. Mine is shifting very nice right now but I still get a tad bit of deflection from 1st-2nd.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I still have my stock QS fluid. It was 107 degrees here yesterday, so I would rather have the thicker fluid than the thinner fluid. Mine is shifting very nice right now but I still get a tad bit of deflection from 1st-2nd.
+1, agreed..shifting has been great since warmer weather.. high 90's here today.. Running and shifting great, staying cool as well.:worship

Also agree, still have original fluid in and would rather that thicker fluid in the warmer weather..

Must stay, just my opinion, I never doubted the car...:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
:laugh:Ford should just advertise the 6M Mustang "as a summer only car":gringreen

·
Registered
833 Posts
Upper 90s here also and 140 degrees on the road course track event I attended.

I do notice a bit more gear whine as others have said.

Perhaps the perfect combo is QS in winter and QDC(?) in summer?

·
Registered
947 Posts
My shifting was PERFECT in the 80+ weather. I mean butter, you couldn't get any better. As soon as it drops below 80, it starts to grind in 2nd. I switched to the QDC fluid, and what a mistake. I can feel every damn shift, every notch, everything. Even in the 90+, I can get a 2nd gear grind, and slight grind in 3rd. The QS was sooo much better in warm temperature. However, serious grinding issues in cold. So far, I'm in the lemon law process. Will see if Ford tries to fix it one more time. I think my syncro's are messed up since I waited too long to switch to QDC.

·
Registered
459 Posts
The thing that bothers me is that in cold weather, regardless of how long I drive the car and get it up to temp (more than an hour commute), I have issues. In very warm weather, I have almost no issues, even when the car is "cold". What gives?

·
Registered
191 Posts
The thing that bothers me is that in cold weather, regardless of how long I drive the car and get it up to temp (more than an hour commute), I have issues. In very warm weather, I have almost no issues, even when the car is "cold". What gives?
Perhaps the viscosity issue was a red herring that threw Ford off the trail of a problem with thermal expansion/contraction. But the influence of the weather on metal expansion shouldn't be larger than the influence of a hot engine, except in places on the far side of transmission from the engine. Does this make sense?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
My transmission has been great ever since they added the Friction Modifier to the QS fluid.

It fundamentally altered the feel of the clutch, for reasons I do not understand.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.