Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else feel that the Microsoft Sync in their car is unbelievably buggy. All they cared about was the feature list and didn't care about the little things that make a big difference. Like folder skipping or play order of mp3's, etc.? It's making me want to find a replacement for it but I don't think anyone is going to make a new head unit for the sync when there is so much going on with it.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
It does take a bit of getting used to, or as they say, "a learning curve". I hated it when I first got it. Now that I have a better understanding of it, I dig it. Learning the voice commands was a problem and then learning what post commands you have to give before the final request command. Like, "USB" then "Play artist Van Halen".

Give it a little time. Maybe it will grow on you. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
985 Posts
My phone is just a ****** flip phone and pared up nicely, makes calls.

My Ipod in the USB port also works fine...

As a software engineer myself I can attest to the hardships of trying to support every piece of hardware under the sun :nono:

·
Registered
299 Posts
it is an incredibly complex endeavor to build an IVI system. Hardware. Software. People. Process. Multiple sub-ks/vendors.... You wouldn't believe how many man hours go into making that media player play music at all. Some features just don't make the cut for various reasons. Be patient, this stuff is still new for autos.

I am the QM for a soft. dev. company on a big 3 / tier 1 IVI project.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I love my sync. Never had any issues except learning commands. That was operator error. Cant blame the system when the user doesnt learn to use it right. If you are using it right, maybe have ford reflash it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'll say up front that I am a bit biased, I work for a competitor to Microsoft on an operating system that competes against Windows.

I have been a bit disappointed with Sync. For the most part it has worked but I have run into a fair number of weird bugs and times where some things just stopped working until the car shut off/on again. My biggest complaint is the Sync my Ride Website. I have yet to be able to determine if I need an upgrade.

IMHO, Sync is just not ready for prime time yet but it's close. It's usable but still way to many bugs than what people expect to have now days. Microsoft hasn't had the best reputation in the consumer space and Ford has a learning curve to overcome when it comes to consumer software.

But I didn't buy my car for Sync, I got for the 412 hp so it doesn't bother me much. I just swear at it and keep driving like I stole it. :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
I like SYNC. I actually sought out a car that had it. Of course there are times when Services doesn't understand a word I am saying and that is really frustrating because I am usually calling for directions because I am lost. More times than not though I will look down and see that I don't have perfect cell reception and that is probably causing the errors.

Inside the car though I love most of the features. I have over 150gb of music on a portable hard drive and it works really well. I have lost the ability to pick a song by voice (I think this has to deal with the maximum items it can index for voice). One command I really wish it had would be, "List albums by Dire Straits." I do have so much music that it would be great if it could help me a little more. I do have a problem with it not finding my phone every 10th car start or so. If I reset (turn the car off and back on) it will find my phone instantly.

Like others have noted this is a complex system and one that is in its infancy. I hope it only gets better and I am very glad I do not have MyFordTouch from the sound of it.

G

·
0 Posts
I love my SYNC so much that I hate having to drive any other car for an extended period of time, including the Mercedes I work on. The only issues I have ever had with my system is the occasion after parking where the audio will default to Bluetooth Media instead of the USP IPod I had just been listening to before I got out of the car.

Other than that there is nothing I can fault the system for. I can use voice commands on the highway with the windows down, I can make crystal clear phone calls without having to pair my phone everytime I get in the car(hint hint Mercedes), I can run my IPod on long road trips without having to take my hands off the wheel.

For the IT guys who understand it better than me, I can still understand enough that making a system compatible with hardware from different manufacturers is a daunting task.

Moreover, perhaps there are a few people who might have actual faulty components in their vehicle that can be fixed?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Meh, I don't care for it much. I really don't like that I find myself having to continually tell it to play the USB device (iPod). If it was playing when I shut the car off, it should start back up playing the USB. But it only does this about 60% of the time. All other times it just reads sync line in device (or something, can't remember exactly), and I have to tell it to play USB. Ghey.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
With all the Cell phone law debates now, I LOVE it for the phone...yeah, it messes up the name once in awhile but I did NOT buy the 400+ NA HP beast that I (and all my friends) LOVE because of the Sync. For MP3s, I just got the damn book and looked up the commands.. I organize the songs into folders on my computer to make it easy. Fine with me.
RC

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I do like it but I run into the issue where, if my iphone is plugged in, and I tell it USB....it will switch over and show the artist and song title on the radio interface and will show that the song is running but if its on "sync" I dont hear anything but if I switch over to "Dock Connector" it works....

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I have used other oem systems and had Alpine's top of the line NAV system and the NAV Sync in my Mustang is head and shoulders the best and most consistent of all.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I just replaced my factory system with an Pioneer x930bt and while I had no big issues with Sync, I did find it really wonky at times, it never really played well with my ipod, like there were a ton of songs that on the ipod that Sync would not acknowledge, it was like they werent there, and it would lock up quite a bit as well

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Seems fine to me, but then again.....

It does call a person who's name rhymes with my wife's name though... and it happens to be a girl. Bad luck, but funny at times.

·
Registered
659 Posts
The sync in my '12 f150 is worse than in my '11 mustang, for whatever reason. That being said I replaced the stock stereo with the Pioneer Avic-z140bh and can say that sync, IMO, is leaps and bounds better than pioneers offering.

The bluetooth is subpar and trying to bring anything up with voice commands is very wishful thinking! Now if only ford would improve the stock speakers and headunit power in all of their vehicles I'd be a happy camper!

·
Registered
768 Posts
The sync in mine seems to work well. The only time I've noticed the system didn't recognize what I was saying was when the windshield wipers are on. Could have been a coincidence, who knows.... Much better than the pioneer I had in my last car though..

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I'm disappointed with the electronics in my 'vert. I've discovered that the stereo won't play from my USB stick when I turn the car on if I didn't turn the stereo off before the last time I turned the car off. It acts like it's playing music from the stick (the elapsed time indicator moves and it switches from song to song) but there's no sound. Also, my phone connects, then immediately disconnects every time I turn the car on - the Bluetooth isn't working for more than about 5 seconds. Very disappointing in a new car.

·
Registered
985 Posts
There are a few music formats SYNC will not play nice with.
I have about 5,000ish songs and I can play all of them and name them by voice.

Along with that, when the system defaults to bluetooth audio chances are that is the first thing it could find. I leave my Ipod plugged in 100% of the time and it never comes off of that unless the Ipod died for whatever reason.

Also for the people where the phone doesn't connect. This is due to the auto on/off features it has. If your car is ON and you leave to say pump gasoline(and leave the car on for whatever reason), it will release your phone. It will not reconnect your phone until a car restart.

You may have a legitimate issue but if you study what it is doing chances are you will oh "Oh, okay!"

I will note: I have had an issue where the system would lock up and it required me to restart both my Ipod and the car. I think this lies with the Ipod more than the vehicle. It is worth a note that after 25,000 miles and nearly 2 years this has only happened twice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Whoever thinks the Sync in their Mustang is wonky should have had the experience to suffer with the MyFord Touch system before the wholesale software rewrite released a few months back.

Granted I've only had my Mustang for a little over two weeks and have yet to have issues, but the MFT system in our 2011 Edge crashed, rebooted and locked up more than a few times in it's first couple weeks. That system was maddening.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts