Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has any of you guys performed a engine flush using diesel before?

i was told a long time ago to add like 4 qts of diesel to 2 qts of oil in thE engine and let it idle for a few minutes and drain. do this like a few times until the engine is clean. they say it will smoke, but as long as you don't drive it with the diesel in it, you won't hurt anything.

lemme know what you think...

·
Registered
45 Posts
This was one of many tricks in the old days to keep an engine free from sludge. Oil technology has come a long way since and engines are burning cleaner than ever. With regular oil changes and a quality filter, sludge will not form to the point that you should need to do this.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply Gitmo,

i just aquired my 95 mustang GT a week ago from NYC and it hasn't well taken care of. i have yet to do an oil change on it, but i had to clean the throttle body and it had sludge in it! it was like what you would get if you spilled oil on the ground and put dry sweep on it, just finer though. it was nasty!

i can only imagine the inside of the engine. do you think it would ba a good idea since the throttlebody was so sludged up?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Pull a valve cover and see what's there. If there is sludge, run diesel OIL not fuel. The extra detergants will remove sludge gradually. Do it with a diesel fuel (or some of the other methods) and you could clog the filter and passages and starve places of oil.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Diesel will kill your seals and will dry gaskets. I have heard of many people doing this and have said as long as it's not under load for a few minutes it will be fine. Not sure.

Just remember if you do that all that sludge, crap and other stuff will go somewhere and sometimes it is not the place where you want it to go. Might clog something.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Just by a quart of engine flush from Napa or other auto parts store. Drain about quart of oil then top crankcase with flush. Run at idle for about 20-30 minutes and immediately drain and change filter. If filter is old it's a good idea to put on new one before flush and then change afterwards. Do the flush before 2 or 3 oil changes and you see cleaner oil at change time if the engine is slugged up.
Also check you PCV valve and fluted screen. Cheap to just put new ones in.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the feed back guys. i guess the diesel fuel will be too harsh, that stuff is aggressive. i also was suggested to use a quart of dextron, in addition to the engine oil, to slowly clean out the sludge and not break that sludge up so fast that it would clogg anything.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
That would be a safer bet as that has all types of detergents in it.

Why not an engine flush? Maybe some kerosene as I have heard about a quart mixed with the oil and let it run for 10 minutes.

But just so you know I have also heard horror stories about all these types of engine flushes.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I am with Smurf stang what if this stuff cloggs up something yeah you can change the oil filter but what about the pickup????

I have heard so many ole timer tricks that I couldn't count them and I have heard of this and also was told not to do it cause it could wash all the sludge and crap to the oil pan and what is gonna keep the oil pickup from sucking it up to it and restricting the flow of oil! Best bet is to do a rebuild if you are that worried but hey that is just my opinion and advice you don't have to take it.

Also heard kerosene but the engine flush that stangdawg is talking about I heard it was basically kerosene or diesel one can't remember but not sure on that never used it and if I was that worried about engine sludge....well I done told you what I would do!

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Maybe some kerosene as I have heard about a quart mixed with the oil and let it run for 10 minutes.

But just so you know I have also heard horror stories about all these types of engine flushes.

Damn you beat me to it lol! :iamwithstupid:

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
LOL I am quick on the draw.....

But what I have learned is that there is no real EASY button. There might be short cuts but there is no miracle diet pills or get fast investment plan.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
LOL I am quick on the draw.....

But what I have learned is that there is no real EASY button. There might be short cuts but there is no miracle diet pills or get fast investment plan.

I couldn't agree with you any more.

Yeah I was typing mine up as you posted yours but if it was me I would never use engine flush on any of my motors!

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
I couldn't agree with you any more.

Yeah I was typing mine up as you posted yours but if it was me I would never use engine flush on any of my motors!
I would agree with fordman as I would be hesitant to do this also. Too much at risk could go wrong.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Better an oil change than detergents inside your engine

Just do one or more oil changes in the next few weeks, it will clean itself up the right way. Today's oils have detergents already blended in the oil formulation. The normal operation of your engine will take care of the rest. No need to diesel anything, it will only cause the screen in your oil pickup tube to suck whatever loose grime it may have lying around in the crank case and plug itself up. IF..the engine is working fine, just do it the natural way by changing oil two or three times during the next couple of weeks. The golden rule...try not to fix something that's not broken in the first place.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for all the good info guys. this is what i decided to do though

i will add some dextron to the oil and run the engine, do 2 cheap oil changes with filters to clear all the dextron out and drop the oil pan to clean it in a solvent tank along with the pick-up tube.

my friend suggested i also get a new oil pump while i'm in there with a good unit and then i'll fill with royal purple.

hows that sound?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Diesel will kill your seals and will dry gaskets. I have heard of many people doing this and have said as long as it's not under load for a few minutes it will be fine. Not sure.

Just remember if you do that all that sludge, crap and other stuff will go somewhere and sometimes it is not the place where you want it to go. Might clog something.

+1 Especially if you have high miles or run synthetic.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Running engine flush is about the only thing that I have put in an engine as a snake oil that works.

Get a couple cheapo fram filters. Put a new one on before you do the flush. Doing two flushes is not a bad idea with a new filter each time.

Put on a decent filter for your daily driver.

They only time I would shy away from doing an engine flush is if your valve covers are filled to capacity with sludge which you should easily be able to see and/or feel through the oil fill.

The engine flush is designed to clear clogged oil passages. If it's sludged really bad then you need to do multiple flushes. Buy the $1.89/qt oil and the flush itself it only $6 at auto parts stores.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
I run a 1/2 qt of tranny fluid with my oil for one oil change every so often to clean out gunk. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Another ole timer trick I have been told about tranny fluid is add about 1/2 qt to oil and it will usually help out a stickin lifter, another is mix a tad bit of water with a little tranny fluid and pour it in carb while running and give it throttle cleans the valves never done this one but have heard of it.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
alot of good info here guys.

i'll go forward with this info and come back with a report and maybe even some pics.

stay tuned

1 - 20 of 24 Posts