Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short im gonna be doing a 88 turbo coupe drivetrain swap soon. Its hydraulic in the turbo coupe but the fox body is going to be cable. Currently the fox body has no drivetrain but was a stick car so it has the pedals but thats it.

I have a bare T5 cable bellhousing but thats all I have. Im trying to figure out what pieces I need to get it ready to go. Have been unsuccessful at finding a parts breakdown for the bellhousing/clutch area and what I can reuse off the turbo coupe <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym>.

Thanks all

·
Registered
1991 Ford Mustang LX
2,222 Posts
Theres really not much to the bellhousing itself.BTW- I was unsuccessful at locating a bellhousing diagram also.Here are the things you'll need:

Bellhousing

Clutch fork

Clutch fork pivot ball

Clutch fork cover & bolt
(1) 6mm @ 1.0" long 8.8 hex head

Clutch cable + Cclip- secures cable to BH

Transmission to BH bolts
(4) 12mm × 40mm × 1.75 pitch

BH to block bolts
(2) 7/16 × 14 @ 1 7/8" long
(4) 7/16 × 14 @ 2 1/4" long

Starter bolts
(2) 3/8 × 16 @ 1.5" long

Inspection/block plate & lower bolts
(2) 5/16 × 18 @ 1" long

** T5 Related **

VSS/Speedo cable to T5 bolt + locking tab
(1) 1/4 × 20 @ 3/4" long

Transmission mount to transmission
(2) 1/2 X 13 @ 1.5” long

Dont forget the NGS (neutral gear switch) & VSS (vehicle speed sensor) & the correct wiring harness,if you don't have them already.The following link is a detailed AOD to T5 swap writeup with plenty of text & pics showing the harnesses you need.Disregard anything specific to the AOD,since your car came factory with a T5 application.

AOD to T5: A 12 Step Program - Shortline Garage

If you're gonna source the entire rear differential from your TC to swap into the Foxbody or you buy a differential from another vehicle,look at the tag bolted to the differential cover to verify which rear gear it has.If the tag is missing & the individual selling it doesn't know whats in it,pull the cover off & count the teeth on both gears. Divide the ring gear count by the pinion gear count & that'll id your gear ratio.
Example: Ring= 37 Pinion= 9 would equal a 4.11 gear.I brought this up so that you can install the correct gear on your speedo cable before mounting a cable to transmission.

If you haven't located a driveshaft yet and youve got a Pull-A-Part junkyard locally and you wanna take some time & a chance to search their yard,you might get fortunate enough to locate a aluminum driveshaft for cheap.The models you need to look for are listed below.
92-95 Ford Aerostar vans w/ AWD
96-97 Ford Aerostar vans w/ AWD
The 92-95 models will require you to swap to Napa 353 conversion ujoints.
The 96-97 models are a direct bolt on.
These driveshafts are 3" in diameter compared to the Ford Racing aluminum driveshaft which is 3.5" in diameter.The Aerostar driveshaft is not weaker due to its smaller size.BTW - The aluminum Ford Racing driveshaft is between $250-$300.
When I mentioned you being willing to take a chance on finding one of these driveshafts,it is due to how some junkyards carry their vehicles onto the yard.Sometimes they are towed in on rollbacks & other times they are carried by a forklift.Therefore if the vehicle is brought in by forklift,the driveshaft may get damaged.However since the yards are now aware of the loss in revenue they can suffer from using this method,the vehicles are usually rollbacked onto the yard or simply pulled by another vehicle.If the underside of the vehicle was already severely damaged from an accident or because it didnt have wheels/tires and the rollback driver had to just drag it up onto the bed,a forklift carrying it in is not gonna damage it more than it already is and you likely wont be able to use anything from under it anyways.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Theres really not much to the bellhousing itself.BTW- I was unsuccessful at locating a bellhousing diagram also.Here are the things you'll need:

Bellhousing

Clutch fork

Clutch fork pivot ball

Clutch fork cover & bolt
(1) 6mm @ 1.0" long 8.8 hex head

Clutch cable + Cclip- secures cable to BH

Transmission to BH bolts
(4) 12mm × 40mm × 1.75 pitch

BH to block bolts
(2) 7/16 × 14 @ 1 7/8" long
(4) 7/16 × 14 @ 2 1/4" long

Starter bolts
(2) 3/8 × 16 @ 1.5" long

Inspection/block plate & lower bolts
(2) 5/16 × 18 @ 1" long

** T5 Related **

VSS/Speedo cable to T5 bolt + locking tab
(1) 1/4 × 20 @ 3/4" long

Transmission mount to transmission
(2) 1/2 X 13 @ 1.5” long

Dont forget the NGS (neutral gear switch) & VSS (vehicle speed sensor) & the correct wiring harness,if you don't have them already.The following link is a detailed AOD to T5 swap writeup with plenty of text & pics showing the harnesses you need.Disregard anything specific to the AOD,since your car came factory with a T5 application.

AOD to T5: A 12 Step Program - Shortline Garage

If you're gonna source the entire rear differential from your TC to swap into the Foxbody or you buy a differential from another vehicle,look at the tag bolted to the differential cover to verify which rear gear it has.If the tag is missing & the individual selling it doesn't know whats in it,pull the cover off & count the teeth on both gears. Divide the ring gear count by the pinion gear count & that'll id your gear ratio.
Example: Ring= 37 Pinion= 9 would equal a 4.11 gear.I brought this up so that you can install the correct gear on your speedo cable before mounting a cable to transmission.

If you haven't located a driveshaft yet and youve got a Pull-A-Part junkyard locally and you wanna take some time & a chance to search their yard,you might get fortunate enough to locate a aluminum driveshaft for cheap.The models you need to look for are listed below.
92-95 Ford Aerostar vans w/ AWD
96-97 Ford Aerostar vans w/ AWD
The 92-95 models will require you to swap to Napa 353 conversion ujoints.
The 96-97 models are a direct bolt on.
These driveshafts are 3" in diameter compared to the Ford Racing aluminum driveshaft which is 3.5" in diameter.The Aerostar driveshaft is not weaker due to its smaller size.BTW - The aluminum Ford Racing driveshaft is between $250-$300.
When I mentioned you being willing to take a chance on finding one of these driveshafts,it is due to how some junkyards carry their vehicles onto the yard.Sometimes they are towed in on rollbacks & other times they are carried by a forklift.Therefore if the vehicle is brought in by forklift,the driveshaft may get damaged.However since the yards are now aware of the loss in revenue they can suffer from using this method,the vehicles are usually rollbacked onto the yard or simply pulled by another vehicle.If the underside of the vehicle was already severely damaged from an accident or because it didnt have wheels/tires and the rollback driver had to just drag it up onto the bed,a forklift carrying it in is not gonna damage it more than it already is and you likely wont be able to use anything from under it anyways.

So all in all its not that complex. Thank you so much for the detailed write up!!!! Parts hunting shouldnt be too bad.

·
Registered
1991 Ford Mustang LX
2,222 Posts
So all in all its not that complex. Thank you so much for the detailed write up!!!! Parts hunting shouldnt be too bad.

Nope,not complex at all.I do recommend adding a steel bearing retainer to whatever T5 you buy,unless it has one already.Its the part the throwout bearing for the clutch rides on & the oem fully aluminum retainer gets grooves & goudges worn into it causing disengagement issues at times.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts