Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over in the 2005/6 forums I started a thread on the suitability of Vinyl Rally stripes over an extended time period. This came up after a vinyl installer did a terrible job on my '06 GT and I had them removed (long story).
One issue that I kept running into was that installers wouldn't guarantee the work or material for extended periods of time. I got estimates of the stripes lasting anywhere from 2-10 years. The one constant was that the car would be a daily driver and be exposed to the hot sun for at least 1/2 the year and in the garage at night.
Anyone have large vinyl stripes installed in the 80's and they still look nearly perfect?
I'd appreciate any comments about this so I can report back.

Thanks!
Joe

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
i dont have any, but its safe to assume they will not only wear, from driving and even washing and waxing your car, but will fade if a color other than white. to be honest, as a graphic designer, i know that vinyl doesnt hold its color well under rain and sun for long periods of time.

in the 80's, because of the front bumpers, and the shape of the hood (especially on GT's and Cobras, the ones you WOULD put stripes on) it would be easier to paint them on. vinyl wouldnt conform to the shape properly.

your best bet is to make sure you REALLY REALLY want stripes, and the get them painted on. looks better anyway.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the kind of input I'm looking for, thanks! It's what I've seen myself over the years, but lots of people were saying that I must be mistaken as if they are taken care of they should last "for the life of the car."
I couldn't imagine! That's why I thought I'd put the question to you guys who KNOW - you've been there, done that. As for my vinyl disaster (see my sig for details) I'm having them painted on in two weeks. :eyepoppin
Just as a side issue, Baltimore Street Mods has an excellent pre-cut vinyl kit that lots of folks use on our new bodies, even with it's many compound surfaces on the front and back. Supposed to be perfect.

Joe

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
good luck man! you made the right choice. stripes look great on the new stangs, and painted ones are the way to go.

i think the reason alot of people go with vinyl is for removability. sometimes you just arent sure you want em.

glad i could help!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have side stripes on my car. over 2 years now. Thing is I installed them myself. own a vinyl business. cut millions of stickers, graphics etc. Thing is sun is the enemy. Will fade after awhile. vinyl is broke down into years. Mainly places run a 6+ year vinyl. can be removed with no problem. .

Better than paint. I know of people that get stripes painted than change their minds. TOO LATE. lol

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
yea like i said, if you KNOW you want stripes, and yo want them for GOOD, i would get em painted.

sun blows. its everythings enemy, even paint. which is another prob with vinyl.

on nice new paint, in about 5 years it might fade a bit, but you wouldnt even notice, UNLESS you had stripes on and took em off. youd still have stripes! but theyd be the original color of you paint, abit darker than what it would be now.

happened to me in ONE year with a leather bra on my LX. tip of my hood is darker than the rest...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.