Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was 2 hours into a 3 hour drive today and out of the blue my car started to run really rough. I pulled over and checked all the connections on the COP's and ensured they were seated on the plugs. I took off and it was still running bad. I pulled back over and reloaded my tune and that didn't help either. Drove the rest of the way home feeling like I was in a helicopter. It feels like it is not firing on a cylinder. Any ideas???

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
You're not throwing any codes? Clean your MAF and your throttle body and see how she feels.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're not throwing any codes? Clean your MAF and your throttle body and see how she feels.
No I didn't have any codes on my tuner. I'm thinking it has to be something simple though. It started has I was slowing down coming into a town. Whats the reccomended method to clean the MAF?

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
No I didn't have any codes on my tuner. I'm thinking it has to be something simple though. It started has I was slowing down coming into a town. Whats the reccomended method to clean the MAF?
Pull the MAF sensor from the slot and clean with some CRC MAF cleaner or some good electronics spray like TechSpray Blue Shower II, Blue Shower G3 cleaner or MG Chemical Super Wash.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pull the MAF sensor from the slot and clean with some CRC MAF cleaner or some good electronics spray like TechSpray Blue Shower II, Blue Shower G3 cleaner or MG Chemical Super Wash.
Thank's for the info! I'll give that a try. I just installed the GT 500 TB last Thurs. so that should be clean.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Thank's for the info! I'll give that a try. I just installed the GT 500 TB last Thurs. so that should be clean.
Check all of your intake connections. Maybe you're getting some unmetered air into the engine. Have you had the tune adjusted for the 65 mm TB?

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Another thing you really need to look at. If the car is running that rough, I'd suspect those SLP cats. When mine failed I almost blew my engine. I'd pull them both off and do a close inspection of the substrate to see if it's breaking up.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another thing you really need to look at. If the car is running that rough, I'd suspect those SLP cats. When mine failed I almost blew my engine. I'd pull them both off and do a close inspection of the substrate to see if it's breaking up.
Yeah I was gonna check the cats tomorrow. They have been on the car less than a month. The tune is set up for the 65mm TB as well.

Did you replace your SLP's with something else?

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Yeah I was gonna check the cats tomorrow. They have been on the car less than a month. The tune is set up for the 65mm TB as well.

Did you replace your SLP's with something else?
I run straight pipes now. Never again will I run h/f cats.

·
Registered
15 Posts
my car did the same thing, but you'll never guess what mine was. a broken piston. i only had 5,000 mi on my motor and it broke a piston out of the blue. i wasn't beating it either, drove it a while, shut off for a few minutes, started it back up and just like that, rattle knock shake. doubt that yours is the same thing but you never know.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my car did the same thing, but you'll never guess what mine was. a broken piston. i only had 5,000 mi on my motor and it broke a piston out of the blue. i wasn't beating it either, drove it a while, shut off for a few minutes, started it back up and just like that, rattle knock shake. doubt that yours is the same thing but you never know.
Wow that really sucks! I hope it's not that serious. Didn't hear anything knocking. I think the engine would have smoked its self if it was that cause I drove at highway speeds to get home for about 40 mins. Worst ride of my life.

·
Registered
15 Posts
smoking the engine would depend on how bad the piston was broken. but like i said before i highly doubt that thats your problem and i was just sharing my experience.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ran a piece of rebar through mine. Took a little while.
So do you have the SLP "cleaned" H/F cats on now or did you go with the race pipe insert? I'm getting ready to go out and start troubleshooting and cat cleaning.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
So do you have the SLP "cleaned" H/F cats on now or did you go with the race pipe insert? I'm getting ready to go out and start troubleshooting and cat cleaning.
I ran the hollowed out cans for awhile and then switched to straight pipes. The empty cats actually help to scavenge exhaust gasses a little better so they be fine to run.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ran the hollowed out cans for awhile and then switched to straight pipes. The empty cats actually help to scavenge exhaust gasses a little better so they be fine to run.
Thats good to know, thanks for the pointers. I hope it's just something simple. Wish me luck. I'll report my findings later.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Thats good to know, thanks for the pointers. I hope it's just something simple. Wish me luck. I'll report my findings later.
If you do find broken substrate I'd recommend you pull the mufflers and the midpipe to ensure you don't have anything in there that could clog the pipes.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I was right on my initial assumption of a COP. I decided to pull the plugs and do a visual inspection. The first plug I pulled (#1) was wet and smelled like gas. I pulled #2 just to see how it looked and it was clean. I replaced the Accel coil with one of my factory coils and wala back to normal. Not going to mess with the cats yet. I should go play the lotto now. Whats the chances of finding the problem on the first cylinder I check.:happydance:

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Well I was right on my initial assumption of a COP. I decided to pull the plugs and do a visual inspection. The first plug I pulled (#1) was wet and smelled like gas. I pulled #2 just to see how it looked and it was clean. I replaced the Accel coil with one of my factory coils and wala back to normal. Not going to mess with the cats yet. I should go play the lotto now. Whats the chances of finding the problem on the first cylinder I check.:happydance:
Wow! Good catch. Are you going back to all stock coils or try to get a replacement Accel coil?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.