Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i was wondering if anyone has changed the idle rpms too 1000rpms with their tuner? it feels like my car runs better/less sluggish when it idles at 1000 at first start up

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
You don’t indicate the type of transmission that you have, but with a manual the idle RPMs shouldn’t really matter. If it does there’s something goofy in your tune. With an automatic though it makes sense, as you’re increasing the differential between the input and output portions of the torque converter, thereby increasing torque multiplication. The downside to raising the idle speed is increased fuel consumption and in the case of an automatic transmission increased heat load on the engine/transmission when at idle.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't know what else James did on our tune (Henson performance) But he got rid of the RPM flare and the rpm hang when the car is in neutral at higher speeds (like 40-60mph) as I asked him to.

I did notice he has the RPMs set at 1250 in the tuner. Now when we are coasting at 50mph in neutral the rpms are at 1250 instead of the 2000-ish it was from the factory..

btw.. this is on our v6 with a manual trans..

~Mark

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea sry its a manual and the tune was from bama chips

1 - 4 of 4 Posts