Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been running at the 100 hp level for a while now...been checking the plugs (which I put in one heat range colder than stock), and they look great. No signs of detonation. I am using 91 octane with a sct tune, but with standard timing.

Anyone run 125 hp or higher yet on there 4.6 3v? By the looks of things, I am thinking of trying the 125 with some 100 octane gas from Unocal.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I havent gone over 75 yet. I'm running my 93 octane sct tune with advanced timing still on it and the nt0 plugs, so far so good. With the 100 shot i would have thought your times would be faster than 12.5 i was estimating that with the 100 shot i would be in the very high 11s since im in the high 12s right now without the nitrous. Do you have anything else in there gears?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just got the 4.10's, but haven't got them installed yet. They will be in by Jan 14th (thats when CA Speedway has another street legal event). Right now I have 3.31's with the auto. No question that is what is holding me back right now....

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I've been running a 100 shot with 2 degrees retard for a while without any problems. It's been cold around here but when the bottle is warm it is AWESOME. I'm running the Predator 91 octane tune because we don't get 93 around here. My HT0 plugs look great, too. Getting a dyno tune on Dec. 21. At that time I'm going to get a 125 tune for the drag strip. However, because it'll probably need up to 4 degrees retard I don't think it will work well for street driving.

Has ANYBODY heard of a device that will retard ignition on a coil-on-plug system like our ponies? I've called MSD and FJO Racing and they both say they have no such animal. if you want to have a 125 shot on the street I think you'll need something like this

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
5twenty said:
I've been running a 100 shot with 2 degrees retard for a while without any problems. It's been cold around here but when the bottle is warm it is AWESOME. I'm running the Predator 91 octane tune because we don't get 93 around here. My HT0 plugs look great, too. Getting a dyno tune on Dec. 21. At that time I'm going to get a 125 tune for the drag strip. However, because it'll probably need up to 4 degrees retard I don't think it will work well for street driving.

Has ANYBODY heard of a device that will retard ignition on a coil-on-plug system like our ponies? I've called MSD and FJO Racing and they both say they have no such animal. if you want to have a 125 shot on the street I think you'll need something like this
i was going to get with you on that 5twenty, i didnt see where that FJO controller would do that. you might have to just use the diablo and leave it hooked up to retard as you need it. i ran a 150 shot on a 4.3 v6 in an s-10 with only 2 degrees of retard and 91 octane. i left it like that b/c the plugs looked great. no fouling and not too lean. they were perfect. matter of fact, i was using stock plugs. i believe with nitrous the manufacturer states the requirements for each hp level with quite a bit of leadway. according to nos i should have been using 100 octane race gas, colder plugs, and about 6 degrees of timing retard. it ran fine with 2 degrees, stock plugs, and 91. hell, twice i ran a full bottle through at the track with 87 in the tank! no problems. didnt burn the plugs, valves, nothing. my point is, you could probably get away with 125hp on 2 degrees with 91. just watch those plugs. make a run and then pull #1 and see how its burning. i ran approx 20 bottles through that 4.3 and didnt hurt it. im going to be more cautious with my new stang, but my goal is 150 shot. im going to use 4 degrees, colder plugs, and 93. im not too worried about it. if at 4 degrees the plugs look fine, i might even make a run at 2 and see how shes burning. just got to watch the plugs. and the fuel pressure. wouldnt run nos without a fuel pressure gauge....:tongue

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
GTNOS said:
i was going to get with you on that 5twenty, I didnt see where that FJO controller would do that.
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. The FJO controller does not retard ignition. Nothing I can find does. There are plently that do for single coil ignitin systems but none for the coil on plug system on the Mustang.

Manufaturers covering their a$$es make sense. I have an appointement for Dec 21 with the best tuner around these parts (Blood Enterprises, Auburn, WA), so I'm told. It takes a couple months just to get into his shop. Anyway I am going try to get at least two tunes out of him, one for daily driving, probably a 100 shot, and one for the strip, at least 125. If I can 150 with only 2 degrees then that would be awesome because I'm running -2 degrees right now (100 shot) and the car feels great. We'll see what the ol' A/F and dyno say.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
5twenty:

Let me know the results of your dyno tune!! I was thinking that also...to have two programs, one for 100hp and another for 125 or 150 for the track. Let me know what you find out.....

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
psfracer said:
Let me know the results of your dyno tune!! I was thinking that also...to have two programs, one for 100hp and another for 125 or 150 for the track. Let me know what you find out.....
Will do...

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
psfracer said:
5twenty:

ditto on that 5twenty, keep us posted. you got me on the edge of my seat.

P.S. i get my stang saturday!! it came in yesterday. getting the dealer to tint the windows and shes all mine for the nos'n!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I hope your dyno runs produce the power you are expecting and please keep everyone posted on the tunes and how they run because im thinking about doing the same when i go for the 100 + shots.

·
Registered
285 Posts
60' was 1.84
1/8 was 8.24

i think i could launch a lil bit higher RPM and still be ok. I saw john panizo running i think like a 1.57 60' with the ET streets with his 125 shot and he was running a 11.5 1/4 or something around there (forgive me if im misquoting but its pretty fast)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've run a 11.76 @ 114.95 with a 1.60 60' on a 100 shot. Tried the 125 shot and ran out of fuel in high gear. You'll need a NX fuel accumulator, Larger fuel pumps or a KB Boost-A-Pump to run higher than a 100 shot.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Blazing Saddles said:
I've run a 11.76 @ 114.95 with a 1.60 60' on a 100 shot. Tried the 125 shot and ran out of fuel in high gear. You'll need a NX fuel accumulator, Larger fuel pumps or a KB Boost-A-Pump to run higher than a 100 shot.
Blazing Saddles....can you give me more information on your set up? I am running a 100 shot as well, and my best 60 has been a 1.79. I had my car dynotuned, and I picked up 39 rwhp by just bringing the bottle pressure up to 1000psi. I was previously running without a bottle heater, so I don't know how much horsepower I was leaving on the table when I was running at the track. The A/F ratio was fine past 6000rpm with the tune I have, so I think I will be fine with the 125. But maybe I don't even need the 125 to break into the 11's, because you didn't.

So I have an auto, stock torque converter, 4.10's, street tires that are 27" tall. What do you have?? Or anyone else for that matter that has either broke into the 11's with a 2005, or has 60' in the 1.6's

·
Registered
27 Posts
5twenty said:

You can buy 2 MSD boxes (1 box per 4 Coil-On-Plugs) and activate them to take 4 deg off with an activation connection from the FJO. However I think they are about $350 each. I don't know the details on the MSD boxes but my local parts shop called MSD and that is what they told him.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Blazing Saddles said:
Wow, this is an old thread, and Blazing Saddles, you were correct. Even though my A/F was fine on the dyno, at the track the car was running out of fuel on the big end. Have since gone with the KB Boost-A-Pump, hoping for 11's on April 22nd. Thanks Blazing Saddles!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts