Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Be afraid. Be VERY afraid! :scream: Actually, I haven't had the nerve to try. Besides, I prefer to hand wash my baby. :strut

·
Registered
31 Posts
why would there be any issues? its a car. cars go outside. weather is outside. I own a car wash and run my vert through about every day.. no problemos..

·
Registered
816 Posts
one50npump said:
why would there be any issues? its a car. cars go outside. weather is outside. I own a car wash and run my vert through about every day.. no problemos..
Does your car wash use about 4000 psi of pressure out of the nozzles! I may be exagerating a tad, but I know my Sporttrac rocks side to side when those suckers pass by! I'd hate to find out what that pressure would do to my vert. :wavey p.s. I assume you have one of those attended car washes? I am referring to the drive-in, stop, get sprayed, and drive-out type. :laughlitt

·
Registered
80 Posts
I haven't run mine through yet, I have hand washed about once a week. However, as the weather cools off I would like to run it through occasionally. The owners manual says it is a bad idea to use "touchless" car washes with high pressure nozzles, does this mean it is better to use a rotating brush of death car wash??

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have not ran the 05 thru a brushless yet.... as right now I have vinyl stripes and the guy that put them on said he wouldn't recommend taking it thru as it might tear the vinyl. I use to run my 2000 thru there quiet often... and the only problem I had was where the water wands rotate... the water would shoot up under the flap of top material that comes down slightly over the windows and water would come in there. It NEVER leaked in the rain cause I guess the rain only flows toward the ground... but w/ that pressure shooting it under the overhang... I would get a little water in on both sides.

G

·
Car Washes, even "brushless" are a great way to get scratches and swirl marks.

Do it by hand, these Pony's are not that big of a job.
Try keeping a F-150 gleamed out...

·
Registered
31 Posts
2k5GTC said:
Does your car wash use about 4000 psi of pressure out of the nozzles! I may be exagerating a tad, but I know my Sporttrac rocks side to side when those suckers pass by! I'd hate to find out what that pressure would do to my vert. :wavey p.s. I assume you have one of those attended car washes? I am referring to the drive-in, stop, get sprayed, and drive-out type. :laughlitt
no car wash runs 4000 psi. Unless they want to replace pinstripes and any other loose part on any car.

Self serve Car Washes run about 1200-1400 psi any more than that just causes damage.

Mine is a self serve with an automatic bay.. I run the vert through the automatic at least every other day, and thru the self serve daily. No leaks so far.

R3dF1r3, if youre getting scratches and swirl marks from a touchless wash, youre doing something wrong!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Realizing that there are some owners that live in apartments or condo's, or with parents, it is my practice to wash it myself or leave it alone. No dry wiping other than 'California duster'. Even in the quarter car wash it isn't good to spray that wand sideways and into seams and locks. Water gets into places that it should not go...ever.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Ran mine through one time. Never again! Got a nice rub mark between the rear windshield and the rear spoiler where the dryer came down and must have gotten stuck and a chip mark on my hood. I use the Mr. Clean system now and surprisingly it works very well.

·
Registered
176 Posts
No offense to anyone who owns or uses a drive through car wash,but I would rather leave my car dirty than to drive through one of those.(past experiences left a very bad taste in my mouth):thumbdown

·
Registered
18 Posts
I traded a 99 Miata for my 05 V6 Coupe and I took the Miata through a car wash and once only it feels like the roof is going to be blown off right there in the car wash,and what about the tacky antena everyone is talking about, I would be afraid that would come off in a car wash. I also use the Mr clean aouto wash, I heard you guys talking about it so I gave it a try but like someone said in a thread I put the soap in a bucket and wash by hand then use the nozzle to rinse. It works great!!!!:thumbsup

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Washing the Vert.

Yes, I broke down and used an automatic car wash on my vert, once. The good news, I noticed no leaks, the bad news is I got two scratches on my oil-slick black paint job (fortunately, both were abel to be buffed out) in return (one on the front left fender and one on th ehood). :shocked: I even asked the manager about the known "swirl marks" and potential scratches before going into the wash and she said that the owner has a black $80,000 BMW which he runs through weekly with no problems. Needless to say, she was wrong. I since then only use the Mr. Clean system and sometimes for added drying I use an absorber (similar to a chamis), plus I am a big believer in the California Duster. I hand wash and hand wax my car now. But again, as for leaks, my girl held her own.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
R3dF1r3 said:
Do it by hand, these Pony's are not that big of a job.
Try keeping a F-150 gleamed out...
The first vehicle I ever waxed was a 1967 Volkswagen bus.

That was acres and acres of waxing. I was Daniel-san...

Wax on wax off.

That and never rotate the tires on a 3/4 ton Ford F-250, without an air impact wrench!!! If you do it by hand, there are only 8 lugs per wheel and they are torqed to 200 ft/lbs. I went and bought the impact wrench, in mid-rotate. Chanting my mantra of "Screw this. Screw this. Screw this." all the way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Toronto Car Wash Services

Special Car Wash Toronto – Car Wash & Detailing: Introduces best Car Wash in GTA, Hand Car Wash, Auto detailing, Mobile Car Wash & Detailing services from professional car detailers in Toronto, Ontario. We cater for Cars, SUVs, Trucks and Vans.

Toronto Car Wash Services

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
I've run mine throuh the wash a bunch of times. No problems.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts