Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, i noticed that the squires remote mount universal turbo kit is priced at about 1700$. that is substantially cheaper than most turbo or supercharger kits.

is anyone running a universal kit on an s197 gt? if so, have you run into any problems? what modifications did you have to do for it to work?

also, i know that there has got to be some turbo lag with the way this kit is set up, but would this be a good kit for someone who has a tight budget and who doesn't necessarily want the fastest car but wants a car that is more fun to play around with?

thanks,
mario

·
Registered
99 Posts
ive heard horror stories about people having oil issues with these turbos. something to the effect of the oil lines not getting oil to the turbos in the rear, and causing them to fry....

·
Registered
5 Posts
My buddy has 1 on his 06 GT, seems to be running fine at 7psi. Pulls pretty hard and not as much lag as you would think. Only thing I dont like is that after a while the whistle gets annoying and you loose the deep muscle car sound. Thats why I went saleen blower

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do you happen to know where hes at in horsepower and 1/4 mile times?

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Mario,

I wouldn't put anything that costs over $100 that isn't meant specifically for a S197 Mustangs on your car.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Mario,

I wouldn't put anything that costs over $100 that isn't meant specifically for a S197 Mustangs on your car.

Agree'ed. Any "Universal" part that isn't cosmetic (and even then most of the time) for just about any car is a big NO NO :nono:

The 5 grand you'll save now will turn into 10 grand worth of repairs needed to be done to your engine.

·
Banned
696 Posts
Agree'ed. Any "Universal" part that isn't cosmetic (and even then most of the time) for just about any car is a big NO NO :nono:

The 5 grand you'll save now will turn into 10 grand worth of repairs needed to be done to your engine.
Pretty much.
Picking up the universal kit only to have the oil blow your turbo(s) will not only lead to the cost of replacing them, but any other parts of the oil system that might have gone awry. On top of anything else that might break due to catastrophic turbine destruction. (no oil can be pretty bad) That's also with any custom work with the "universal" kit you might have to have done for you.

Universal, ESPECIALLY in terms of F/I for any car just translates to "Buy anything but this product if you want good results"

I personally hate the concept of turbos in the rear, just seems so unncessary to me for minimal gains of cooler air. If hot air is what ails you a simple meth kit would cool things right down and running a 50/50 mix makes it so you're not burning it up in the blink of an eye.
If you're going to go with a turbo system from STS at least get the one built for our cars. Personally I wouldn't even do that, a simple top/front-mount turbo works fine and you don't have the silly little whistle to make you think twice about getting it. It's all muscle in the back, all business in the front.......I'm sure that's perverted in some way.........
Good luck mate!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok i see. so universal is bad. makes sense.

now since i dont have the money to purchase an expensive kit what do you guys think about putting a kit together?

·
Registered
921 Posts
ok i see. so universal is bad. makes sense.

now since i dont have the money to purchase an expensive kit what do you guys think about putting a kit together?
Best thing i can say is plan out what exactly you want to do to the car so you know the finished product. That way if your super charging it you don't buy one of those engine covers since it won't fit. (Just an example)

If your looking at trying to get a supercharger and money is a bit of an issue i believe brenspeed was offering some type of financing assuming you can afford that in the long run. If your looking for strictly Turbo. I don't know what to tell ya, i don't even know where to buy one as they just don't interest me that much.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah, im considering the vortech for 3800 from brenspeed. im just trying to figure out all of my options. :bigthumbsup

·
Banned
696 Posts
tarbo is bettar :hihi:

but for serious reals:
Brenspeed and other companies can do the financing if you've absolutely got to have it and can't front the cash. I think Hellion offers financing, dunno about turbonetics or the rest. I DO know that if you have a local shop that can do it they will most likely offer you some financing, because to them it's just like getting paid more to do the same job. (interest can be a real %#$%@ for these types of things sometimes)

Other than that I've only ever seen custom fabbed turbo systems, a user around the net "Oneeyedwilly" custom fabbed his own, blew it up due to a bad wastegate, just finished rebuilding his motor and that's the last I've heard of it" I'm sure he'd be willing to share information. You'll just have to be able to weld, etc. by yourself and really know how to build the system. If I'm not mistaken his is a front mount, similar to the typical single turbo system for these cars. Hope that gets you off the ground

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah i really want to go turbo over supercharge. but the turbo kits are so expensive. and the problem with me having money, is that im still in school and am only working over the summer. i think ill have enough money at the end of summer to finance the vortech if i buy it around december and work next summer. but if i can put a turbo kit together, i know that it will come out way cheaper than buying a turbo kit already set up or a supercharger kit. so now its just a matter of how much money ill have at the end of summer lol.

but im still looking at different options.

·
Registered
519 Posts
The problems with STS kits in the past had to do with oil pump failure, and they have gone to a new pump. Personally, I didn't like the way the return lines ran under the axel and so low to the ground, and also that you had to remove the 2 support bars back there for the twin turbo setup, and 1 for the single. My brother's STS setup on his vette is pretty damn nice, and works exceptionally well.

Keep in mind, any "universal" or "tuner" kit is going to require a TON of parts, as well as a custom tune. Also, at that price I doubt an intercooler is in the kit.. By the time you got all that stuff and got it tuned, you will be spending more than the kit to begin with. Turbo is by far the most expensive FI you can get for these cars.

You would be better off buying a turbo, blow off, waste gate, piping, intercooler, and handing it all to a good turbo guy to install than starting with one of these "universal" kits. At least then you can pick out a nice waste gate and not blow your motor the first time down the track. Of course, then you are back into the $7-10k range.

Best budget FI is by far the vortech non-IC from Brenspeed. Turbo-like performance on a budget.. at least until heat soak settles in.

·
Registered
633 Posts
so there is no fi or turbo route you can go on these cars that does not cost a arm and a leg.even if you just wont small hp gains like in the 350-400 hp range.it would be nice if they had a mod that cost in the 1k-2k range that added 50-100 hp range.that would be perfect for my dd 06 gt auto.would like to get to 350 -400 hp without spending my life savings:happyhapp.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
what if i bought the sts universal kit, and just used the the turbo and all the necessary parts to then put together a sort of, custom kit, and have someone custom fabricate some piping for me? then all i would need is a tune? i plan on installing all of this myself, so i wont have to worry about labor charges.

what do you think?

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
what if i bought the sts universal kit, and just used the the turbo and all the necessary parts to then put together a sort of, custom kit, and have someone custom fabricate some piping for me? then all i would need is a tune? i plan on installing all of this myself, so i wont have to worry about labor charges.

what do you think?
I think you should get one of these.

New Electric Supercharger. Add HP to your Car or Truck - eBay (item 160347166402 end time Jul-14-09 06:30:27 PDT)

This one is a little pricier...

REAL ELECTRIC SUPERCHARGER / ELECTRIC TURBO KIT 5-PSI:eBay Motors (item 330343615504 end time Jul-14-09 20:21:18 PDT)

Dude... I promise you... You don't need F/I yet.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i dont think im doing that electric turbo haha

thats wierd

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.