Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about putting some cutouts on after the cats to get some more volume out of the stang. How does it sound? I was also wondering if anybody makes sidepipes for the new mustang other than Cervini? Thanks..

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Frank99ta said:
I was thinking about putting some cutouts on after the cats to get some more volume out of the stang. How does it sound? I was also wondering if anybody makes sidepipes for the new mustang other than Cervini? Thanks..
I ran electric cutouts on a previous ride. Good for the strip. Bad for the street. Actually lost gas mileage. Plus it's really not a good sound for around town. If you want loud, go with a set of SLP Loudmouths.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Go for the exhaust cut offs.

I have a pair of QTP electric exhaust cut offs with the optional digital control on my 05 GT coupe.I love them, i should have left the stock exhaust on,but i replaced it with Magna Flow,then got exhaust cut offs.I wasted money on cat back exhaust,could have bought & had installed for less than Magna Flow exhaust.You can get any sound you want with this set up, 0% upto 100% open & anywhere in between .Your car can sound like any aftermarket muffler offered,with the OEM ones left on.You should here mine, i have a Kenne Bell 2.6L blower when my cut offs are fully open i set of car alarms with the concussion of noise & power.They are all stainless so you will need a good welder to install them.Hell no one these days know what cut offs are.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Born To Run said:
I have a pair of QTP electric exhaust cut offs with the optional digital control on my 05 GT coupe.I love them, i should have left the stock exhaust on,but i replaced it with Magna Flow,then got exhaust cut offs.I wasted money on cat back exhaust,could have bought & had installed for less than Magna Flow exhaust.You can get any sound you want with this set up, 0% upto 100% open & anywhere in between .Your car can sound like any aftermarket muffler offered,with the OEM ones left on.You should here mine, i have a Kenne Bell 2.6L blower when my cut offs are fully open i set of car alarms with the concussion of noise & power.They are all stainless so you will need a good welder to install them.Hell no one these days know what cut offs are.
I was interested in getting those myself. Is the amount of cutout variable? It appeared from what I could find that it was set somewhere between fully opened and fully closed. How low does it hang? I showed it to my local muffler shop, whose ownere also happens to own a GT and is very familiar with them, and his thoughts were that once you angled the cutoffs down away from the underside of the car, they'd be very low to the ground and vulnerable to damage.

·
Registered
179 Posts
As sensitive as these cars are to flow I would suspect that you would have to reflash your EEC every time you opened and then closed your cutouts. Might be more trouble than what little they are worth.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been using cutouts on my car for years.. Right now, I have no mufflers on my stang.. just pipes where the muffler use to be.. I was wanting something louder so I was looking into getting some cutouts.. I don't think the car is that loud now.. Try driving around with a cutout in the intermediate pipe of an f-body.. That is loud... Could you possibly post a sound clip of the cutout wide open? I would appreciate it.. Thanks..

·
Registered
590 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
exhaust cut offs

Clearance is not an issue,you don,t turn them down at 45.Mine are just 1/4 " lower than the exhaust.You don,t have to re flash your ecu.You can set them to any degree of of open you want.Install them just behind the cats.Any other takers??

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm game

Whose did you buy, and do you have a link?

Got pics of the installs?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Born To Run said:
You don,t have to re flash your ecu.You can set them to any degree of of open you want.Install them just behind the cats.Any other takers??
If you don't have to reflash the computer then there must not be any significant flow gain. No point in having cutouts. Unless all you want is noise. These EEC's on our cars are so sensitive to flow gains.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Re exhaust cut offs we address

The idea of these is to have as little engine volume or as much as you want.Heat is a product of combustion,get rid of it asap,let things breath better,why do race cars run headers only?Here is the web address www.quicktimeperformance.com.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts