Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody used a Wilwood font disc brake kit? If so, hasit worked Ok? How hard was it to install. Or, Master power front disc kit, looking for the ins and outs of both, before I decide on a front disc brake kit. Any help would be appreciated. I got the power to go fast now I need to be able to stop fast too.
Thanks.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I installed a SSBC disk brake conversion (non power) on a 66, the kit was great it included everything you need, spindles, rotors, calipers,pads, hoses, master cylinder. It took me about 5 hours to install including rear brakes. I that it was pretty easy.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have Wilwood on all 4 corners on my 66 coupe and I love them. I added a power booster as well and they stop on a dime. As for installation ease I can't really say since I had a shop do the install. But the price was reasonable. About 700 from Summit Racing for the 4 piston 11 3/4 rotor model for the parts. This included all the brake components but not the MC or lines. I splurged and got the red calipers for another $100 pr pair. I think they were pretty much bolt on to my 66 stock v8 spindles. They do increase the track width about 3/4 inch per side but you can counter this with wheel offset if need be.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Brad,

Wanted to give you a heads-up when you order the brakes. If you stick with 14" or 15" wheels, your limited on the size of rotor you can use. They still stop well, unless you plan on racing or hard braking.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Wilwoods are nice a little over kill on a street car id go with the mustangsteve cobra set up or the small baer brakes set up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got em on my 65

First off I love them, as some one else said, they are overkill. well yes and no, you can never have enough brakes and you can never take enough weight off, Wilwoods do both.

They are time consuming to install but unless your not mechanically inclined they are easy.

I LOVE the weight of these things or lack there of, the shipping weight of the entire set up including hubs and extra bolts (not used on my 65) weighed less than 26 pounds, compare that to one drum.

Bolting the rotor to the hub is tedious because you safety wire those bolts on which brings me to another point, buy the safety wire before you start.

Only thing I hate is that I do not have them on the back yet :weeps

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wheel Problem

I sure hope someone here can help me. I just had a TCP set up put on my 65 fastback (power steering and coil over suspension) that included the Wilwood brakes with the 11.75" rotors. My 14" Cragar wheels no longer fit, but I went with 15 x7 " styled steels (Scott Drake) and they are hitting the calipers. In fact, the Cragers hit less than the new wheels. It looks to be the kink in the rim where the wheel spokes are welded. I've read a lot on backspacing and know that the Wilwoods increase the track a bit, but nowhere have I found or been told that these 15" wheels should not fit. Spacers are a no go, as the tires will already be at the fender.

I really do not want to go bigger as there are no 16" styled wheels and the aluminum 17" are ugly (by my tastes).

I'll take this opportunity to ask about tire width too. I'm thinking of sticking with 215's as I do not want any rubbing, but if people have experience with this suspension set-up please let me know.

Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.