Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am replacing my interior on my 90' convertible and came across some sound deadner (on-line) that sounds like it may be a good idea to install. Anyone have any experience or recommendations on this?

fatmat | eBay

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
37 Posts
2 weeks ago I did the Lizardskin install 100% satisfied well worth the money, check them out lizardskin.com/

Hi,
I am replacing my interior on my 90' convertible and came across some sound deadner (on-line) that sounds like it may be a good idea to install. Anyone have any experience or recommendations on this?

fatmat | eBay

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
220 Posts
funny thing i used was hvac duct insulation worked great real cheap

·
Registered
37 Posts
As we all know the #1 thing that kills our car or any car for that matter is rust.
The matt products when they get wet, and they will just retain moisture and rot the car from the inside out. When I did my research on the Lizard Skin this will not happen, car is cooler and quieter. Buy the kit with the gun and mix and spray, that simple cleans with water and you don’t need a respirator when applying it safe and 0voc just my .02

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have heard of the Lizard Skin before that it pretty good stuff! You do have a convertible and the sound can get a little loud inside. The soundproof on the floor will help but alot of the noise is coming from the roof. This is my second convertible mustang, my first one I had for 12 years. I can tell you that my 93 has a headliner that does help with keeping the noise down a little more. If you don't have a headliner I would recommend getting one.
Side note:
If you don't have full length (5'-0") weld and bolt on subframe connectors get them. It makes a big difference with the convertibles. There is alot of body flex. Best mod I ever did.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@BRYAN_93LX, I did get the 5' weld-on (customized) subframe connectors and you are correct, they made a world of a difference.
:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
526 Posts
As we all know the #1 thing that kills our car or any car for that matter is rust.
The matt products when they get wet, and they will just retain moisture and rot the car from the inside out. When I did my research on the Lizard Skin this will not happen, car is cooler and quieter. Buy the kit with the gun and mix and spray, that simple cleans with water and you don’t need a respirator when applying it safe and 0voc just my .02
Sorry, but if you have that much water INSIDE the car... you shouldn't be blaming rusted out floor panels on the sound deadening material.

In fact, most of the sound deadening mats I've seen would actually block the water from contacting the metal (depending on installation and coverage)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nope no water in my car, but you do get moisture and over time the mat will get compromised and will retain water. It is a known fact, back in my younger days I was an active stereo SPL competitor and the whole car was dynamated, and believe me it held the moisture water, plus it adds extra weight. For less money the Lizardskin takes care of all that. The last car I did was a 1979 Z28 back in 1989 and the cost for the dynamat was around $1,300 back then, now that is front to back coverage so if that is not doing it right I don’t know what right is .

Sorry, but if you have that much water INSIDE the car... you shouldn't be blaming rusted out floor panels on the sound deadening material.

In fact, most of the sound deadening mats I've seen would actually block the water from contacting the metal (depending on installation and coverage)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Your are saying that a tar or butyl/rubber based product is absorbing water?
Not sure about that...

Or, it could be that the dynamat wasn't properly installed, and started pulling up from the sheet metal creating small pockets for water to collect?

If it is a known fact, can you provide some documentation of the facts?

I don't care either way... this just seems highly unlikely to me...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts