Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nitro-fill or putting nitrogen in your tires seems to be one of the latest improvements in tire care. I've seen it offered in some Costco and Pep Boys stores. It's supposed to keep your tires inflated longer resulting in better safety and longer tire life. Is anyone using it? How much did you pay? (I've heard between 2 and 5 bucks per tire.) Do you think it was worth it or is it just another rip-off?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,912 Posts
I am, I think it rides smoother too....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
I've always used a custom blended 78% Nitrogen/21% Oxygen/1% other gasses mix in my tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
I use Hydrogen. I can really smoke my tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
H - no
N - No
O2 - pow

You have it all wrong. Pure "He" is the way to go.

You should hear my tires sing!!!! Plus, my car really flies now!!!!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeee!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts
Torch_Vert said:
I've always used a custom blended 78% Nitrogen/21% Oxygen/1% other gasses mix in my tires.
:worship Too funny! Who says we don't have high-level humor here?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,820 Posts
I run 26 lbs in the rear vs the recommended 32. Takes off 12 lbs off the rear. :jester:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
ahah

IndianaJones said:
Nitro-fill or putting nitrogen in your tires seems to be one of the latest improvements in tire care. I've seen it offered in some Costco and Pep Boys stores. It's supposed to keep your tires inflated longer resulting in better safety and longer tire life. Is anyone using it? How much did you pay? (I've heard between 2 and 5 bucks per tire.) Do you think it was worth it or is it just another rip-off?
dont waste your money pal,nitrogen is only for huge cargo trucks and jet planes.....why put it in a car that heat isnt a huge problem as it is in long trips in for cargo trucks and jet planes burning there tires off to stop...so yeah..dont waste your time & money........IDIOT :sterb: "It Rides smoother"...what BS,you wouldnt notice a huge diffents at all...:madas:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,106 Posts
Torch_Vert said:
I've always used a custom blended 78% Nitrogen/21% Oxygen/1% other gasses mix in my tires.
kj_cinci said:
I run 26 lbs in the rear vs the recommended 32. Takes off 12 lbs off the rear. :jester:
We've been overrun with clowns :) Geez, high humor here ROFL!

Any of the low noble gasses would be nice, Helium, Argon and of course, I think the ricers fill theirs with Neon. :|


Anyway, my Dad was a pilot for American Airlines and before that, a pilot in the Navy [A-4's, in the Philippines] and he once told me that planes had nitrogen in their tires because the pressures were monstrous [I wanna say 800PSI? I could totally be wrong, on that] and nitrogen was used for some reason having to do with that and also b/c if there was a fire and a tire burst, nitrogen wouldn't make it worse, like a sudden blast of air would.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,820 Posts
Hey kj didnt say that!

Interesting info on the plane tires.


Remeber folks, come springtime to get that winter air out and summer air in them tires!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,560 Posts
I sent away for some pure rocky mountain air for my tires. I think I've been had.They sent beer instead. I once sent a kid to the hardware store for a cement stretcher once.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,170 Posts
I use helium, makes the car seems 100 pounds lighter, and when I make them chirp, the tonality is much higher. If I were to get a leak in them it would be much easier to hear. Kinda like a very high end fart.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts
pcfrisch said:
I use helium, makes the car seems 100 pounds lighter, and when I make them chirp, the tonality is much higher. If I were to get a leak in them it would be much easier to hear. Kinda like a very high end fart.
I love it, we've gone from "high-end" humor to "rear-end" humor. Man, what a night with a keg of beer and you guys would be like! :drink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Stoenr said:
I run 26 lbs in the rear vs the recommended 32. Takes off 12 lbs off the rear. :jester:
Unsprung weight too...thats like....ummmm.....175 pounds of dog weight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,106 Posts
Bobbo said:
Unsprung weight too...thats like....ummmm.....175 pounds of dog weight.
Oh MAN! I was trying to think of a good "unsprung weight" joke and couldn't come up with anything. Hilarious! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,820 Posts
Lol the tweel. To bad it flopped.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,912 Posts
stangracer said:
dont waste your money pal,nitrogen is only for huge cargo trucks and jet planes.....why put it in a car that heat isnt a huge problem as it is in long trips in for cargo trucks and jet planes burning there tires off to stop...so yeah..dont waste your time & money........IDIOT :sterb: "It Rides smoother"...what BS,you wouldnt notice a huge diffents at all...:madas:
I swear, I think it does, my wife noticed it too...

My dealership gave me the fill, for free, as a courtesy when my oil-change wasn't done by the time I went to pick it up.

If you actually read into it, it's a good idea.

By the way, since I'm an idiot, why don't you explain to me WHY it's good, and the ONLY allowed gas for tires in commercial aircraft (and many racers use it also), but not worth putting in my car......

I guess I'm the only person who has had to add air to their tires....

I haven't since switching to Nitrogen.
I guess I'll just be an idiot and keep using it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
I worked on aircraft wheels and brakes for nine years as a tech with a complany called Goodrich Aerospace. The purpose for Nitrogen is that there is very little moisture in it, thus prevention of that moisture freezing at altitude...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,820 Posts
Found this just googling for automobile tires.

  • Tires Last Longer!
  • Tire Pressure Holds Longer
  • Better Fuel Mileage
  • Fewer Tire Road Failures (Oxygen and Heat Destroy Tires!)
  • Lower Operating Costs
Last longer? Maybe in age, but will not effect the treadwear.
Tire pressure holds longer? True
Better Fuel Mileage? Only because pressure would hold longer, and less chance of running on low pressure, which would be lower MPG. But for someone that checks them once a month or so it has no effect.
Fewer tire road failures? False, Heat alone will kill a tire, no matter what gas is inside it.
Lower operating cost? I think this is more towards the actual machine they use. I wont answer.
Other than holding pressure longer, I cant see any benefits to it in a automobile.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top