Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i just had my motive 373 gears put in, they were installed by the ford mechanic, now i am curious anyone with motives notice a little bit of whine when they were installed, its nothing too bad, but around 40-50 i hear a small whine, above that i dont hear it or below it, and its only sometimes that i hear it. having loud exhaust dont help too much buy you can hear still at certain RPM. Now my question is, i know richmond gears whine, do motives? also i know when i installed my steeda shifter, i now have a little bit of tranny noise thats normal but i hear it now. after the shifter sway could it be same now with different gears? I mean i dont know if it was even there before, and now i am just associating it with the new gears? My friend has 373s on his mustang and they are OEM ford gears, and he said he heard it when i pointed it out, but if ihadnt it sounds pretty much like his car/gears make. Anyhow let me know, i let them ride a good 10 heat/cold cycles, and they havea bout 200miles on them now. could this be a temp thing?

anyhow let me know
thanks

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
I thought you were going with 3.90`s , or maybe that was someone else !

Anyway I cant answer you Q. , but I have heard a whine is no good !

How does your mustang feel after the swap ?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was going to go with 390s, but decided to go with 373s cuz i want to have some room to play and i dont want to run out of RPM Band. Anyhow yea i have heard that but its just like after i swapped the shifter, it made some noise that i freaked out over. Anyhow yea the stang feel nice, its nice when you are crusin around, because i can get into 5th now eaiser, and it wont bog down around 45, i got on it from a roll on 1st around 15,mph and it snapped me back.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I get the same whine as you do but I still have the stock gears. I'm not sure what the noise is but it may be a u-joint or pinion bearing. The gears could have been improperly installed, as well. Either way, I've been driving my car with this whine for almost 3 years now and nothing has fallen off the car yet.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I don't notice any noise that wasn't already there with my Motive 3.90s.

If it's just a small whine, I wouldn't worry about it. See if it goes away over the next few weeks or so. The gears may just need to wear in a bit.

If it's a loud whine, make your installer open it up again and check his install....

·
Registered
44 Posts
I say beat the crap out of the car, really break the gears in! This way if there is some thing wrond then you will find it soon and can take it back to the mechanic who poorly installed them. A year down the road or so is no good for the gears to go out and have to argue with the mechanic who installed them. I have 4.10 motive gears and theres no whine at all or I should say was, my motor blew after having a tune made for my supercharger. Motor blew due to a faulty tune. Was only running 8 psi with a 3 core intercooler and bypass valve and only 26k miles on the motor but ya any ways break the gears in good, its always a pain to prove that the gears went out because they were poorly installed and that it wasn't your driving one year down the road.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got my gears installed by a friend whos a mechanic at ford... hes pretty qualified, i took it there today and he said its just way gears are made. He said any more adjust will make either more noise or more grinding of gears. anyhow whine isnt that bad at all
its kinda like when i put my shifter i heard more noise now.
later

·
Registered
129 Posts
When I got my gears installed, not a single mechanic around here would touch the motive's. they told me no matter how well they installed them they would whine. I was told to got with the FMS gears. I dont know by first hand experience, just what about 5 mechanics told me.

G

·
Richmond and Motive gears tend to make a whine because they are a harder compound material. Ford Racing tend to make less whine coz they are a softer gear.

Having said that I have 3.73 Motive Gears and mine do not make a sound ??? I'd get them checked out. If your pinon depth is out they will make a noise.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i took my car to get checked out now that the gears are polished and have some wear and he told me they look fine, its just the nature of the gear to make noise. he said there really isnt anything he can do to make it less... he said its like richmond gears that do whine and could be a smiliar whine. i had all my bearsing changed too so everything is new inside there.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I know a few guys with the motives.. and while they do whine, they havent had any troubles with them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
What kind of whine is it and how loud? Would you beable to hear it over flowmaster mufflers and a expipe? Is it a interior whine or does it make the sound like its outside of your car?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
its a light whine, i can only hear it at 40-50mph in 5th gear with windows up because exhaust is quietest at that point.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just removed a set of motive gears from a Chevy truck that had them installed in our shop last year. It was Warranty work and no matter how perfect you set your pinion depth and got your backlash dialed in your tooth contact is always out of wack ideally you want it between the heal and toe of the tooth on both the drive and coast sides. I talked to my teacher at school and he said the issue is with the process the factory used to break them unlike corporate gears there isn't one! best bet is going with factory may cost more but you get what you pay for!!!
there is a process called lapping i believe that factory gears (gm,ford,dodge) use to marry the pinion and ring gear together along with putting them through heat soaking cycles to harden them so there is also no break in period! Nothing against Richmond or motive and other gear manufactures its just our shop and my school have never had issues with OEM equipment! :) there really isn't a difference in strength unless your going to be pushing over 500 HP/TRQ but by that time you also should be looking and a differential upgrade!

I know this is a old post i just thought it might help someone searching for help out latter when choosing a set of gears!

·
Registered
41 Posts
ive had my 3.73 motives in my mustang now for two years with no problems. a little bit of whining but i can barely hear it becuse of my SLP loudmouths. i beaten the crap out of stang and have yet to have any problems with the rearend!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Blue box gears

My motives came in a blue box(korean made ones) and they make some noise. I set the gears up myself with some difficulty obtaining a picture perfect pattern. I had one of motives reps bless them off of a picture I emailed them. It took a few stabs to get them dialed in and the coast side was out to lunch when the drive side was dialed in perfectly.

I have heard there is a red and yellow box version that more closely simulates an oem finish on the gear teeth.

·
Registered
385 Posts
i know this is kinda off topic, but how much top end did you loose more or less with the 3.73 gears?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.