Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok thanks to the DYI fuel pump replacement thread i know how to change the fuel filter, mine is rusty and nasty looking so i imagine it is way past its life cycle. when i had my exhaust and gears done they were supposed to change it out while they were right there must have forgot :so

anything else i should do while im there? i was thinking about changing the trans and diff fluids its been a few thousand since my gear swap, trans i have no idea how long its been.

what weight for the rear? and how much also i know i need ATF for the trans but how much in there as well its a T5

·
Registered
256 Posts
1. If it was rusted out, im suggesting you drop the fuel tank and inspect it for build up or rust as well, clean it out to avoid any trash from flowing through the line.
2. For the T5 should be around 3 bottles but on the side of the trans it has a level screw, unscrew the top screw and fill up, it will start to overflow when you have reached its limit.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well its not rotted through but it has some scaly rust on it

its the daily driver so dropping the tank isnt really an option

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Well are you saying the filter was rusty and nasty or what came out of it was rusty and nasty? If what came out was nasty and rusty then dropping the tank is going to happen so that all that doesn't contaminate the rest of the system. But if the filter was ugly looking and what came out was clean then no worries.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
didnt do it yet but the outside of the filter is rusted up

·
Registered
319 Posts
Mine was really rusty when I did it too, but the gas didn't have shards of metal in it or anything. Probably just time to change it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
It's not uncommon for the outside of filter to look like trash, keep in mind where and how it's positioned. It does sound like yours needed to be changed a long time ago however. The lube for the rear is 75w-90. You will need to purchase 3 containers, and you will have some left over.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.