Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I came across an AOD c4 for 50 bucks and was curious as to weather or not I will have a problem bolting this to the back of a 68 302?

I am kind of stupid when it comes to trannys, but I am guessing it will be better than my c4 should I run a low gear on the highway? Better gas milage this type of stuff?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Yes you'll get better mileage on the hwy in OD vs. the 3sp. C4 and you can go with a higher rear gear 2.79 stock to 3.55-3.73:1 with AOD say) to get more snap off the line. The first 3 gears are almost identical in the 2 trans., just the benefit of OD.

It's more involved than just swapping them out though, you'll need a different flywheel, trans plate, torque conv. if you can get all this with the AOD. You may/may not need to shorten your driveshaft depending. You'll need to add a Lokar TV cable and have it adjusted properly before driving or you'll burn up the trans in <1mi. from what I've read.

If you do a decent amount of driving >60mph it's worth it or if you really want taller rear gears w/o high RPM's at 60mph+ with the C4. The stock AOD won't stand up to a lot of hammering, you'd need a built one for that.
You'll probably need new exhaust from manifolds back to the mufflers as the AOD is wider.
Just a few things to think about.
Jon

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes you'll get better mileage on the hwy in OD vs. the 3sp. C4 and you can go with a higher rear gear 2.79 stock to 3.55-3.73:1 with AOD say) to get more snap off the line. The first 3 gears are almost identical in the 2 trans., just the benefit of OD.

It's more involved than just swapping them out though, you'll need a different flywheel, trans plate, torque conv. if you can get all this with the AOD. You may/may not need to shorten your driveshaft depending. You'll need to add a Lokar TV cable and have it adjusted properly before driving or you'll burn up the trans in <1mi. from what I've read.

If you do a decent amount of driving >60mph it's worth it or if you really want taller rear gears w/o high RPM's at 60mph+ with the C4. The stock AOD won't stand up to a lot of hammering, you'd need a built one for that.
You'll probably need new exhaust from manifolds back to the mufflers as the AOD is wider.
Just a few things to think about.
Jon
Already got the headers, so I guess I will stick with the regular c4.

thanks for the prompt email bro!

·
Registered
342 Posts
You may not need a new exhaust system...I had a 289/C4. Swapped to 5.0L/AOD, still using same long tube headers/exhaust form the 289.
Using same driveshaft from 289/C4, just had to shorten the front yoke by one inch.

It's a great swap, the AOD. Don't rule it out yet!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
If you can get all the stuff go for it you will never regret it, I am using a 4R70W behind my 351 C w?3.89's and I love the extra gear and lockup - its like having a5 spd auto but I would still love it even if it was just 4 speeds.
I sell the crossmember if you decide to do this upgrade,
Joe

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Long tube headers will need to be pushed out to fit around a aod.If you drive it a lot a over drive is worth it if you drive it maybe twice a month then its not worth it.I have a lentech aode in mine i love it but hate the manual valve body but had to handle the power i got.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I will just keep the c4, i already have it and know it will fit. Thanks for chiming in guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.