Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have posted recently about possibly a PA valve body for my 112k AOD. Was playing cards with a Mercedes technician who said that if I drop the pan and put in new fluid during the valve body swap the AOD will more than likely slip and need a rebuild immediately because the old dirty fluid is likely the only thing holding the trans together at this point. Anybody have any experience with this?
If I put on the new valve body and the tranny starts slipping I think I'll shoot it!

Also, while I am asking dumb basic questions...how hard/how many hours to swap out stock headers for BBK shorty's without a lift?

Thanks!

·
Registered
103 Posts
That type of advice has been posted on Mustang forums any number
of times.

The reason I am very skeptical about that is that old fluid has most
if not all the additives "used up" - and the additivesprovide
much of the hydraulic friction between clutch discs.

Along those lines, when some newer 4R70W's came up with
shudder for shiftin ginto 1st and in the converter (clutches slipping)
the recommended fix was to go to Mercon V which has more additives
than plain Mercon.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Whats hes advising makes no sense at all. Used up old oil with weak additives and no viscocity cant possibly be better. But I personally would not go spending money on a new valvebody for a tranny with 112k on it. I think your better off saving your money for a new tranny with a valvebody (made to shift the way you want.) and torque converter on it.

·
Registered
897 Posts
first of all what the mechanic is talking about is not totally wrong.
if the fluid in the tranny has not been changed in over 30k miles,it will contain all the clutch fibers that have come off the plates over time.this occurs when the fluid loses its integrity due to high pressure high heat and obviously not being changed at the proper intervals.that being said once you change the fluid you will loose all the clutch fibers that were actually allowing the tranny to run without slipping(borrowed time).the new fluid will be clean and eventually the plates in the tranny will slip. in the case of your tranny,well is the fluid burned up? if not then you should not have a problem after you change the valve body,the previous owner could have done the right thing.I on the other hand would consider rebuilding the whole tranny.if its not in your budget right now then definately install a tranny cooler along with the valve body to help things stay together longer,hopefully until you get around to rebuilding it .GOODLUCK

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.