Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at the very end of the t5 swap on my fox. However there is a problem. The car will not start by the turn of the key. We can start across the sylnoid but not by the key. All the pedals are in and the safety switches plugs are in, black in the front grey in the back. We dont know about the wiring on the tranny though. Can anybody help us out?

·
Registered
912 Posts
if you jump the switch can you start it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do we jump the switch? Or do so properly?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm not a mechanic but from experience I'd say it may be the shifter switch wiring from the aod. You know the start only in park switch. good luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you talking about the black one that went to the aod shifter? that is still attached to the column and ran through the dash. Does it need to be hooked up somewhere? We have reverse lights now but still no start.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Yeah, kinda sorta. Issue is there is a difference between a T-5 Trans Harness and a Auto. Basically a small jumper wire is installed in the T-5 harness to allow start signal to reach the clutch switch, and on to the Starter Relay. If you look at the trans harness, you will need to jumper the white/purple(or pinkish) wire to the red/blue wire. White/pink comes from the ingition switch, and its what triggers the starter relay.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay 89coupe i did what you said and the car still will not turn over. I have the plugs into the clutch safety switch with the black plug closest to the steering column and then the grey plug behind it is this wrong? what else could it be?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is also a green and an orange wire underneath the car attached above where the speedo cable goes into the tranny i think.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Been a while, so I can remember if it even matters. But you can try swapping them around. But before you do that. Hook up a test light, to black plug and see if you get power there with the key in crank position. There is two wires. So check both of them. Or you can just install a 15amp blade type fuse in the connector, and try to rule out the clutch switch.

·
Registered
640 Posts
i'm still very new to my mustang, but could this be a neutral saftey switch issue? the auto trans has this in place so you can only start the car in neutral or park.

with swapping in the manual would this switch still be stopping you from starting the car?

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Yes, that's why on a manual tran harness there is a jumper installed from the factory. Its in the place of the NSS that the auto uses.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Yes, that's why on a manual tran harness there is a jumper installed from the factory. Its in the place of the NSS that the auto uses.
yeah 89coupe, thats what it sounds like to me even though i'm learning my first mustang and ford, i have swapped out autos for manuals and things like this and back-up light switches need to be re-wired.

also get that automatic trans kickdown out of the steering column if equipped too. i don't think it will get in your way, but theres no need to have it in there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay guys thanks for all the help. However we had everything done correctly. We found out today what the problem was. The original owner of the car (im the 3rd owner) had an alarm system installed by ziebart. This alarm was ran to the column and into the starter wires, causing the car to not turn over and start by the turn of the key. We then removed the entire alarm system, hit the key and it started right up. All we have to do now is hang the exhaust back up and put up the steering column and the swap is finished. Lessons have been learned but i will love the car with a t5.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts