Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you guys have done this swap?
I have been debating for a while about this. I'm just looking for as much info as I can find before I dive into this. I was going to find another AOD but, I wanted a 5 speed to begin with but couldnt find one, this would be the only way to get what I want.
I know about how much of a pain it is to remove the pedal assembly and rerouting the speedo cable.

Please, any and all info would be much appreciated.
Thanks guys:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
U Da Man:bigthumbsup
Thanks much, I appreciate it.

A couple of questions = What happens to the TV cable? Is it still used with a manual tranny?
Whats the difference between Borg Warners T5 and Tremecs T5?

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Wow, I just cut and pasted that whole write up and photos into Word for future reference. This is one of those really long term things I am considering.

Could someone do this with no transmission experience?

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
U Da Man:bigthumbsup
Thanks much, I appreciate it.

A couple of questions = What happens to the TV cable? Is it still used with a manual tranny?
Whats the difference between Borg Warners T5 and Tremecs T5?

Thanks again
You won't need the TV cable after the conversion.

As far as the difference between the Borg Warners T5 and Tremecs T5, this should help.
http://moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/t5_history.htm

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Wow, I just cut and pasted that whole write up and photos into Word for future reference. This is one of those really long term things I am considering.

Could someone do this with no transmission experience?
If you follow the instruction in that link you shouldn't run into any real problem. I'd rate it as 6-1/2 to 7 on a scale of 10.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
If you do plan on the swap also consider going thru the T5 and upgrade it so that you will have a fresh tranny in there. Next you will have to decide on a flywheel and cluthc assembly for your future set up.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Smurf, I appreciate the info.
I'm looking around for a T5s now. Been looking on ebay, found a bunch that have been rebuilt. Prices range from 500 to 2200. I'll probably go with a factory rebuilt one for now. I'm trying to do this on a budget and I dont plan on making any real power any time soon. Its more to get the 5 spd in there.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Or you can buy a T5 of your choice and look at Astro who has a HD upgrade rebuild kit and do it yourself.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Or you can buy a T5 of your choice and look at Astro who has a HD upgrade rebuild kit and do it yourself.
I would do what smurf says and definitley be wary of buying rebuilt t-5's off of ebay because you don't really know whats been put in and replaced, ect. If you have the dough it may be worth it to buy a new one. I ended up getting a rebuilt t-5 with upgrades and was not too happy with it. There is some grinding with 5th, reverse,ect. Needless to say it was from promotion performance as well. By the time I had gathered all the necessary parts and finished the work the 90 day warranty was long gone so I have to live with it. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is a good idea Smurf.
Who is Astro?

I hear yah stangrider.

I'd assume that building a T5 is a bit easier than an AOD. Is this correct?
Any links for this rebuild?
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the links Smurf, I appreciate it.

Now, I need to start searching for some parts.

I'm still debating on whether or not I should or buy the T5.

Does anyone know of any dealers that do not have to have a core in return when purchasing a T5?

Thanks again

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Smurf,
Do you know much about the rebuild kits that you listed? I am asking because I have read a lot about how weak the T5s are and how they dont handle abuse well.
What I like about them is the size and weight compared to a TKO500 and how they shift smoothly. I would like to stick with a T5 but dont want to have to do this swap any time soon or later for that matter. Replacing a clutch is one thing but the whole tranny would suck.
I have read a lot about T5 vs TKO swaps and have learned quite a bit.
I appreciate any help or info.
:bigthumbsup

Oh, I did find a builder, Gordon Levy. He has quite the rep in the T5 world. Pretty impressive T5s.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
You can ask those guys and a few other companies that you can get the T5 to hold quite a bit of power when built correctly. The only thing with the T5 is that at a certain hp level (very high level) the T5 casing is not strong enough and is prone to cracking but I doubt you will attain or even exceed that level.

Call Richard at Americanpowertrain he is one of the site sponsors and the side ==============================================>
and he has a good amount of knowledge on these bad boys. My vote is to rebuild your T5 with some upgraded internals.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had e-mailed G-Force so far. They responded back with more questions.
I am one of those guys who likes to have more than not enough. Especially when it comes to trannies. My other vehicle has a pretty stout tranny, my truck before that was the same.
BUT with a manual tranny, thats a whole different story. I miss banging gears and enjoy it almost as much as sex. I know I will never reach the level to even crack the case but knowing I have a stout tranny is what makes me feel all warm and tingly inside. Its better to have too much than not enough:winks.

I have a question for yah. Why do you think I should go with a T5 when you have a TKO:shigrin?

:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Rebuilding your T5 will be cheaper and shift smoother plus you can make it plenty strong.

To slap a TKO in there you will need to change a few other items to make it work which adds to the cost.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, here is my dilema. I have been searching and have chatted with a couple of people in regards to T5s(got a few returned e-mails today). What I have found is the cost to rebuild the T5 to my standards would cost as much as a TKO. Thats for me to rebuild it. It only goes up from there, hah. That doesnt include any of the swap parts.
Now, is it worth it, probably. BUT, if I am going to go through all of this trouble for a 5spd I think it may be worth my while to go with the TKO for 2 reasons. 1. strength 2. value, value of course is a very important factor.

I'm going to go spend a few more hours on the computer and search around for more info.
Smurf, I appreciate the help and info very much.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
How much are they quoting you for parts cause for a TKO your looking at well over 2k.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts