Ford Mustang Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is TKO tremec? And what about rebuilding a your T5 into a T5 world class?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
They quoted me roughly 1400 for the parts, 2550 for a built T5.
I have seen new TKO500s for 2k. I found a used TKO600 for 1200 obo.
I have seen WC T5s for 1200 as well as New Tremec T5s for the same.
Others have deals on complete swap packages ranging from 2500 to 3400.

Mu-Tang,
Yes, TKOs are Tremec.

I'll more than likely going to stick with a T5, unless I find some rediculous deal on a TKO.
I'm going to look around tonight and see what I can find.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I got in touch with Richard today. He's a great guy, very helpful.
He made a good point, my end goal is to have a forged rotating assembly and some form of boost. Since I know that part, and have come to the reality that I am not going to have the time to rebuild a T5. I inquered about a kit. I guess they dont sell the pedal box, so I'd have to get one of those. No biggie.
I also spoke with a sales rep, I'm going to be honest. They're expensive. I was quoted 3300 for a complete T5 swap kit less pedals and 4300 for a TKO.
I had received a quote from another company for 800 less for the T5 and 1k less for a TKO.
I think I'm going to do some more searching and maybe I'll get lucky.

While I would like to do this on a budget, I feel this is one department where I should focus more on strength and reliabilty. I understand the T5 is a great tranny and can handle some power but, it's better to be safe than sorry. I think in the long run I'll be happier with the TKO500:winks:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
For that kinda money you could build a bad azz aod which is more consistant on the track and you won't miss any shifts.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well, I might make it to the strip once or twice. I am looking more into auto-x and road racing.
I still havent made up my mind. It is a lot of money.
Thankfully I dont have to make up my mind this minute.
It is driving me nuts.
End goal is to have a manual transmission in my car.
:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Looks like I'll be going with a T5 to start with :bigthumbsup.
Posting that ad on the local site seemed to pay off. I had aquiered a list from other people who had done the swap and posted it in the ad.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Random question = What are the weakest links in a T5? I have read about the cases not holding. But, what else tends to go?

Thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Random question = What are the weakest links in a T5? I have read about the cases not holding. But, what else tends to go?

Thanks

Anyone know?
Heard powershifting. What exactly is powershifting? Shifting without using the clutch?
Thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I found a local shop that has a complete swap kit for $1k including a rebuilt (to factory specs) T5.
Looks like its going to happen sooner than later:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
703 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
That is a nice tranny. For now, this is all I can afford to get a 5spd in my car.
I dont plan on beating it since its my daily but, I do plan on upgrading it in the future. G-Force gears and such.
I'm looking for an older model to be my victim:nogrinner

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Thanks
In my opinion, the T-5 case is plenty strong for most applications. I've never seen one broken for any reason other than external trauma.

The bore for the rear main shaft bearing tends to wallow out under some conditions, but if someone has a picture of a T-5 case that split from being over-powered, I'd love to see it.

My opinion: The T-5 has a weak case = Internet Myth...

What else goes?

Production type second and third gears can shatter if they are over powered.
The Astro A-5 gear set makes a T-5 pretty strong.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
To be quite honest. All of these negative things I hear about the T5 have been on the internet and from a kid that I work with. I asked on here to find out if it was true from actual owners.
I am not too worried about the case splitting any time soon.
Now, on to the gears, that makes me a little nervous. I cant say I'm going to beat the crap out of it but, some spirited driving will definately be in the near future when it does get completed.
I saw those gears, pretty serious chunks of steel. I'm seriously debating whether or not to go with the T5 or just jump into the TKO500. As the cost to make it bullet proof is almost the same cost of a TKO.
I'm still up in the air. Plus I had some issues with my other vehicle and had to drop some unexpected coin into it.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
The bore for the rear main shaft bearing tends to wallow out under some conditions...
First, I want to correct what I typed above. It is the bore of the rear countershaft bearing that sometimes allows that race to spin in the case and wallow out the hole and not the main shaft bearing. Yes, they both can do it, but the countershaft bearing is the trouble spot.

A "built" T-5 can hold up to as much as 650 HP with the right "stuff", but a stock T-5 can blow on the first pass at the strip under certain conditions. If you only think about the stock ones, then, yeah, they are weak. Even that nice Motorsport T5Z linked above can blow up at the strip. It has a torque rating of only 30 ft/lbs higher than a 90-95 GT T5... and it is vulnerable to the countershaft bearing race spinning in the bore.

The TKO series is stout and reliable. Just not as smooth-shifting as a T-5. If you were to order a new TKO I would say don't stop with the TKO-500, but go on to the TKO-600. There is not much difference in the price.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
I got a TKO and added the carbon fiber blocker rings and she shifts pretty nice but still not as nice as a T5. Also those are an option and increase the price of an already steep tranny. If my car didn't already have a TKO in it when I bought it I would've gotten a Promotion T5.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I got a TKO and added the carbon fiber blocker rings and she shifts pretty nice but still not as nice as a T5. Also those are an option and increase the price of an already steep tranny. If my car didn't already have a TKO in it when I bought it I would've gotten a Promotion T5.
All well-said except Astro and GForce make the custom gear sets for the T-5. That is why their units are stronger. Promotion doesn't make gears. If they build a strong T-5 it had better have gears in it from Astro or GForce. If not, they are just telling you that it is strong. If they don't tell you exactly what is inside, you really don't know what you have, do you?

PS If you put the Astro gears next to the GForce gears you can easily see that the Astro gears are hands-down beefier than the others.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
So, I have heard about G-Force and Astro.
Has anyone heard of Levyracing? Transmissions
They seem to have a very good reputation among the Ford guys.

I have made up my mind and am going to stay with a T5. With it being lighter and able to handle some decent numbers, its just makes sense to stick with it. I am just not sure I want to handle the task of building one for my first time.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Yes, Gordon Levy has an excellent reputation.

He posts on another (non-Mustang) forum that I frequent. He won't say exactly what's in his "Strong" T-5, but I got him to admit that he uses the Astro A-5 gears.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts