Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just got a red 1992 LX 5.0 HB with AOD trans, and 2.73 rear gearing. The car has 139,000 highway miles on it 30k on the rebuilt trans, and is bone stock, other than the fact that I just put 2 grand into replacing the whole suspension(stock springs, shocks, struts, front and rear), trans mount, crossmember and bushings, the brakes, and a proper tune up, along with the AOD cable adjustment.

I'd like to keep the car pretty stock, except for maybe changing the torque converter to a higher stall unit, and maybe changing the rear gearing to 3.73.

The engine and transmission seem to be running excellent, and the motor is the earlier 5.0 with the grey oil pan and TRW forged pistons.

Would it be worth doing the torque converter first, and see how the car runs, and what model and stall speed would be good for this application?

Thanks!:scratchchin

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
get a shift kit and gear first. then see if you still want/need a converter. :bigthumbsup

Thanks! I think I may go with the TransGo 'middle' kit for more power. I'm not going to do anything drastic to the motor yet, except for maybe a cold intake kit, and *possibly* some different mufflers on the stock exhaust. It seems to be putting out full power, and I'll let it go for another 30k, then do the motor over 'mildly'.

This AOD is a completely different world than I'm used to. It's a slow launcher with these 2.73's, and once you get going, it kicks it in the guts, but barely tachs at all on the highway in overdrive doing around 90. This car must have a pretty amazing top end speed.:)

Since we can't go that fast around here, I'm thinking of gearing it just enough for very comfortable highway cruising, since I do much of it. 3.55 and 3.73 are the choices right now.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Get the shift kit, a 2300 stall and 3.73 gears. I had 3.73 and switched to 4.10. I liked the 3.73 better. That should give you the launch you want and not hurt highway rpm.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have had 4.10s in 2 aod mustangs and loved it in both. Its alot of gear but you arent looking for setting a world speed record. It will be night and day over stock, and I have had the transgo shift kit but the best kit they sell, and it felt like my dash board was going to fly off it banged so hard but it definitly did what I wanted it to do, I could chirp second gear just driving it normal without giving it alot of gas. P.S. If you are going to be strutting the females around town they wont like it because every shift it will be banging except overdrive. I know from experience, they in general dont like, other wise I was all about it.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have a B&M 2400 and I am not very impressed, I want something with more stall.

I have am happy with 3.73, Still can get around 20-22mpg at 70

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
373's will get you to 65 mph at about 2 grand on tach.....and dont overlook a tranny performance VB....by far my best mod.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.